unclassified road from Cosgaya

Barbs

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi all, bit of niche query for those with knowledge around the Picos and in particular around the Hotel Del Oso.
Just planning a route early April (Ferry booked 10th April via Santander) for a gentle ride down through Spain /Portugal - we have booked the obligatory night at Hotel Del Oso - we have noticed an unclassified track running south from the small Hamlet just south of Hotel Del Oso (Cosgaya) which runs through to Collado De Llesba - looks fantastic on google maps, albeit much of it is through wooded terrain so difficult to see clearly. Just wondering if anyone has any knowledge of this particular route (Bo. Cosgaya) and / or if there are likely to be any issues re private land etc. Thanks.

Barbs.

Hi all, bit of niche query for those with knowledge around the Picos and in particular around the Hotel Del Oso.
Just planning a route early April (Ferry booked 10th April via Santander) for a gentle ride down through Spain /Portugal - we have booked the obligatory night at Hotel Del Oso - we have noticed an unclassified track running south from the small Hamlet just south of Hotel Del Oso (Cosgaya) which runs through to Collado De Llesba - looks fantastic on google maps, albeit much of it is through wooded terrain so difficult to see clearly. Just wondering if anyone has any knowledge of this particular route (Bo. Cosgaya) and / or if there are likely to be any issues re private land etc. Thanks.

Barbs.

Arsey has done it a few times

Ride to it and see what signs there are, if any.

If none, ride down it.

If ‘No entry’ or something similar, probably in Spanish, then don’t. Or do….. if you get caught, explain that you are Engleeesh and no comprenda de lingo. All will be well. You will be invited in for a feast of wild pig, just like in Portugal.

Really, what is the worse that can happen?

There's a nice track from Espinama (just up the road from your hotel) to Sotres. It has been a few years since I used it and it was the only legal trail in the Picos to the best of my knowledge. Well worth a visit as there are some amazing views.

early April might be a tad optimistic for such a goat track

Arsey has done it a few times

I’ve not done the one in question

There's a nice track from Espinama (just up the road from your hotel) to Sotres. It has been a few years since I used it and it was the only legal trail in the Picos to the best of my knowledge. Well worth a visit as there are some amazing views.

Yes, that’s a great track.Done it a few times.

Ride to it and see what signs there are, if any.

If none, ride down it. All will be well. You will be invited in for a feast of wild pig, just like in Portugal.

Really, what is the worse that can happen?

At least you can turn around if you get boared!

….. At least you can turn around if you get boared!

There is a plaque in the village church where I grew up. It records the perils of mucking around with wild pigs:

1eea2dd31691b24d07dc70987f2f0bec.png

As he died in 1912, as a subaltern, aged just 25, it is easy to wonder if he would have survived the war that was about to come. Many junior officers of that age didn’t of course.

That looks like a very interesting track to ride!

Attachments

• Track.jpg
    Track.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 120
Thanks all for the responses, and have had much the same thoughts re time of year / weather for these types of tracks. Discussions we have had amongst ourselves are along the lines of just give it a go unless we see signs etc.

The other track suggested does look fantastic so will keep that in mind.

will also definately try to avoid wild boars (other than on a plate).

Many thanks,

Barbs

WHOW eating them is dodgy you could start glowing....

Did the track from Espinama to Sortres a couple of years ago - fantastic views
20221003_110908.jpg
Stayed at the Parador Hotel in Fuente De just up the road from Espinama.
The CA-1 out of Sortres was a lovely road too
IMG-20221003-WA0046.jpg
We were very lucky with the weather for end of September, beginning of October.

Back
Top Bottom