Moto Martin

big fella

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
After a bit of tricking about on my 2021 1250RT adding a few bits and pieces. I seemed to have regained my mojo for working on bikes/projects.
I have a deal done on a 81' Suzuki Moto Martin. It has been laying up for a long time and needs a bit of refresh and paint and a few panels. A bit of modernization too if I can.
4e3f57d8b36a57b0a21d30c7c9eec662.jpg
db112a6fef01c4fc3fbfc739711fac4b.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Paintwork is very 1990's Streetfighter magazine era, deserves a nice fairing and a classic paint scheme with white or black wheels

Paint

Was thinking of the Skoal Bandit colors Neil so black or white will work. I need to get the hi viz off to see what underneath it. Original MM wheels were gold in color and that will work with Skoal colors too. A long way to go before that though.

Henry Cole showed a rebuild of a Moto Martin on The Motorbike Show,think he said they were quite rare these days so hopefully a worthwhile buy for you :)

What stage of tune is the motor in , are those GSXR carbs fitted ?

Carbs

Neil,
I'm not sure yet. Engine wise all I know is that its 1000cc with a big bore kit fitted.
It has not run in over 10yrs.
I should have it delivered next week and I will get a good look over it.

Tom.

There is one in Germany who does loads of bodywork stuff for that era bikes,

My Kat has the Wiseco 1177 big bore kit and a ported head and it made a big difference to torque on an otherwise standard engine

I would go full nut and bolt on the chassis rather than a 'refresh' as you put it. Hopefully the motor is sound.

Tons of potential there to be a real head turner when finished.

I'm waiting to get some time to get cracking on it. I have checked the engine over without running it but the first thing I will do when I get it on the bench will be to start it and we will take it from there.
Bf.

what a cracking bike that will make..my mate's got the CBX version, had it from new

I remember reading about these back in the day, and the frame looks really nice. Does the original design have that large battery stuck up in the air behind the seat? Doesn’t seem like an ideal position. And the air filters look somewhat squashed in, as if they’re not original, as do the rectangular aluminium bars that I’d guess are seat mounts. Looking forward to the transformation.

I remember reading about these back in the day, and the frame looks really nice. Does the original design have that large battery stuck up in the air behind the seat? Doesn’t seem like an ideal position. And the air filters look somewhat squashed in, as if they’re not original, as do the rectangular aluminium bars that I’d guess are seat mounts. Looking forward to the transformation.
Yes that is the original battery position. A motobatt battery may be the solution to the weight. I have new filters on the shelf. And yes those bars are supporting the fibreglass bum stopper.

I’ve given this some serious thought… this project is not making you happy… so I’ll take off your hands for £1,000

Can do cash……

I did a bit of dispatch riding back in the day with lightning despatch runing out of tolbooth,one of the other riders had a moto Martin as his spare bike when his cx500 was off the road

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom