Good old Altberg

Boxerboy55

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I can’t remember exactly where and when I acquired these boots, but I think I’ve had them 15 years. They’ve probably taken me over 40,000 miles.

The build ticket inside reads 02/06. Confirmed as 2006 by Altberg.

They’ve always been all day comfy and easy to walk in, but started leaking last year.
Hitting a big puddle would fill my right boot more than the left.

A quick call to Altberg a few weeks ago resulted in them being sent down to the factory for consideration.

Bingo. New soles fitted and returned almost good as new for just over £70.

Happy bunny. Still fit like old favourite slippers.

Attachments

• 2DCA7AC1-B34F-42A7-AE03-A5BB3FA62E2B.jpg
    2DCA7AC1-B34F-42A7-AE03-A5BB3FA62E2B.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 352
  • C008E1F4-C285-48DF-B248-A273E5CBA52B.jpg
    C008E1F4-C285-48DF-B248-A273E5CBA52B.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 350
I’ve had mine about four years, I feel like I’m still breaking them in. Great to hear they are going to last a long time.

I recently gave the Altberg Clubman Classics which I bought from the factory in 1998 to a friend who just got back into bikes after a long lay off.

The boots are still going strong 25 years later which might be more than can be said for either him or me.

More recently I've been wearing the Hogg Lites which I bought for a ridiculously small sum of money from a very nice man on here.

I really must send off my Hoggs for a refurbish. Ta for the reminder.

Sent from my moto e30 using Tapatalk

I love my Altbergs, wife and I both have hiking boots by them. They needed resoling so popped up (when we lived in W.Yorks) and got them both done...by good fortune I picked up a new pair of new slightly marked walking boots for £50 (cheaper than the resole of the old boots) They always seem to have some returns/cancelled orders for very good prices if you happen to call in and are lucky.

I have worn Altbergs for years. Sold a pair of Hoggs so only had my clubman boots. Before Christmas I wore through the sole on the boots and they were my only pair. Had to buy another pair of boots, couldn't get Altbergs, waiting list was 16 weeks, resole was 10 weeks. Have now got them back with new soles. But bought a pair of Daytona Travel Star GTXs, got to say I think they are a better boot than my Altbergs, really like them.

When I asked them a few years ago to look at a pair of my Altberg boots that appeared to be leaking I was advised they no longer offered that service and I was referred to someone in Manchester.

As it happens I think the water came over the top of the boots as they have never leaked since, I was however very disappointed in their attitude. I have two pairs of Altbergs and both pairs are all day, multi-day comfortable, I must have worn the first for over 100,000 miles and they are still going strong, the second set bought to replace them and the set that ‘leaked’ have been worn for over 50,000 miles, so hard not to recommend them but the attitude of the company when I thought I had a problem did leave a sour note and made me question buying another pair. I didn’t so they lost a sale to Daytona.

Pleased to learn that they have returned to the level of service they were known for.

When I asked them a few years ago to look at a pair of my Altberg boots that appeared to be leaking I was advised they no longer offered that service and I was referred to someone in Manchester.

As it happens I think the water came over the top of the boots as they have never leaked since, I was however very disappointed in their attitude. I have two pairs of Altbergs and both pairs are all day, multi-day comfortable, I must have worn the first for over 100,000 miles and they are still going strong, the second set bought to replace them and the set that ‘leaked’ have been worn for over 50,000 miles, so hard not to recommend them but the attitude of the company when I thought I had a problem did leave a sour note and made me question buying another pair. I didn’t so they lost a sale to Daytona.

Pleased to learn that they have returned to the level of service they were known for.

They had a problem with a customer(s) after a refurbishment. I can't remember the details but it got very nasty from the customer end. They resolved not to do refurbs afetr that encounter - but their after sales is actually brilliant and as you can see, they do refurbs. I have a pair of Clubmans, the model prior to the pictures above. They are still perfectly waterproof and on their original soles. I also have some Defenders for hiking and hunting, again, they will last for decades before I need to send them back. I am particularly light on footwear, I have my uniform shoes from school that I still wear, they are over 50 years old and been resoled once.

My original Clubmans are still my go to boots and they must be pushing 30 years old, my new Altbergs are a pair of Roadrunners which must be more than 10 years old.

Brilliant kit and preferred to my Daytona boots

My original Clubmans are still my go to boots and they must be pushing 30 years old, my new Altbergs are a pair of Roadrunners which must be more than 10 years old.

Brilliant kit and preferred to my Daytona boots

Well there you go then, I'm defiantly the other way around, much prefer the Daytonas to my Altbergs.

+1 for Altberg. Great British company. Nice ride for me to go and visit - always nice riding thru the Dales :)

I have their hillwalking boots as well as their motorcycle boots. Great quality, and fab company to deal with

++1 I have a pair of the Clubman Roadsters for about 5 years. They are a cracking boot and excellent quality. Well made and comfortable. I have worn them in all seasons and nothing but praise. I also have a pair of Altberg Military boots I use for outdoor pursuits. Again these are great well made and waterproof.

My turnaround was only 5 weeks.

I also enjoy a pair of Altberg walking boots. Very comfortable.

For the bike I acquired a pair of Sidi Stormtrooper boots for backup. They are also very comfortable, good for walking too, but pretty heavy and they squeak. Like chalk and cheese riding with Sidi vs. Altberg.

I have a few pairs of Altberg boots, partly because they make huge sizes and different widths for my Sasquatch length, but narrow feet. I'm wearing a pair right now, in fact. I'm happy with all of them, but they are expensive and they can take a while to break in. My experience with the shop/service is that it varies according to who you happen to deal with. They've been great nearly all of the time, but I visited the shop once and got quite an unhelpful guy, who insisted that I had to pay an extra £50 for boots in a narrow fitting, despite the fact that I hadn't had to before. So I didn't buy them. A couple of months later I went onto the website to check and ordered the same boots in the same size/width and wasn't charged the extra £50.

I signed up to their online E-members thing - when I last dealt with them a couple of years ago, it got you a 5% (IIRC) discount online, but I can't tell from the current site if that still applies. They don't do discounts otherwise, in my experience. I asked once if they would if I bought two pairs at the same time, but they wouldn't. Fair enough, really, given that they have no apparent shortage of orders, going by the delivery times.

They give discounts to Emergency Services and Blood Bikers, but not on resoles.

I always pop in if I am past Richmond , last pair of boots were a cancelled return order and I got £100 off

Back
Top Bottom