ULTIMATE GUIDE TO ABS REMOVAL R1200 (and LED light upgrade)

waitee

Reaction score
Hi there, I thought id do this little write up as I couldn't find the info my self when researching.

My bike is a 2006 R1200GS with the first gen ABS unit, but should be the same for all R1200 bikes, maybe others to.

Job is easy:

1. Fix the plumbing: by this I mean remove the hoses going to the ABS unit and run a direct hoses from each MC (master cylinder) to the corresponding Caliper(s). For the rear I just opted to get a new braided hose that runs straight from the MC to the calliper, that way I could remove all the hardlines. For the front, again I used a new braided line from the MC to the splitter in the fork clamp. New braided lines are cheap on ebay £30 each approx.

(some people run a a loop of hardline at the front where the lines join next to the frame, and similar for the rear, I think it looks neater and its cheaper just to fit new hoses)

2. Bleed your new brakes.

Now for the other bits which I couldn't find any info on.

3. You can completely remove the ABS unit from the bike, its big and heavy and sits under the tank, do this by disconnecting the electrics from it and removing the rest. Reconnect the electronics to the bike, its a small circuit board needed for the speedo to work.
I bought I blanking plate from MOTOWORKS which was £30 and worked great. So you'll be left with what looks like a small ECU which you can secure in place however you see it, I used a couple zip ties.

https://www.motorworks.co.uk/abs-ecu-cover-ela50965-2.html

4. You can also remove the front wheel speed sensor, and front wheel ABS ring, (replace with correct washers) I did this to tidy up the bikes look. The speedo works from the rear wheel, so front ABS hardware is no longer required.

washers, you should have two between each disk and the wheel, (should be two on one side and one and abs ring on the other before the removal) https://www.motorworks.co.uk/inner-disc-mount-washers-bra97387-2.html

5. Final step, remove the speedo unit from the headlight, 3 c clips and a plug. remove screws from the rear to split the unit in two. now you can either use black electrical tape to tape up the green/amber/red triangle light, cut neatly to fit over the light square (you'll see what I mean when its open infant of you, once refitted its impossible to tell its there, and there are no more warnings on the dash. you may be a able to code this out of the bike, but this is the easy DI guide.

Enjoy, you now have no ABS and have removed allot of clutter from the bike to.

A short note regarding my experience with upgrading to LED lights.

Headlight unit from Aliexpress, great and easy to fit, with no LAMP warning on the dash.
Indicators BMW modern LED ones, not original, again no LAMP errors.
Rear was a bit more of a pain, again aftermarket LED unit, looks great, but was throwing LAMPR code. Solved by fitting two resistors between ground and each live. You can buy a cheap ready made cable here:
https://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.s...ops/10207048/Products/PB-207-015&Locale=en_GB

I now have no lights and no error messages with removing ABS or upgrading lights.

Great write up thank you.
+1 for the headlamp upgrade, massive improvement.

There are a few write ups, including pictures. I think they maybe in the 1150 section, but it’s the same for both units, just the 1200 instrument panel needs a bit more work rather than just pulling a relay and an instrument bulb as on the 1150 ..

Can I remove the abs from my 2010 1200gs?
I'm content with all the mechanical/hydraulic stuff; my concern is that the central control unit may get it's knickers in a twist about it's inability to communicate with an abs and tell the engine control unit to 'limp home'.
Has anyone removed the abs from a k25?
Unnerving

I just couldn’t find any Info specifically if removing front sensor and ring was ok or not, which it is. Also couldn’t find if you could remove the actual abs unit, leaving electronics in place. Which you can :)

Can I remove the abs from my 2010 1200gs?
I'm content with all the mechanical/hydraulic stuff; my concern is that the central control unit may get it's knickers in a twist about it's inability to communicate with an abs and tell the engine control unit to 'limp home'.
Has anyone removed the abs from a k25?
Unnerving

You’ve no need to remove it. Unlike the servo/abs units the brakes still work as normal if the abs stops working. On the servo/abs if it fails the braking is almost non existent.

ABS Removal

I just couldn’t find any Info specifically if removing front sensor and ring was ok or not, which it is. Also couldn’t find if you could remove the actual abs unit, leaving electronics in place. Which you can :)
Thanks for the reassurance Waitee. My only concern is, having done all that, what info does the central controller need from the abs and will it send any dire canbus message to the engine management unit when it gets no response. I'll probably wait until the end of the year as, as far as I'm concerned, it's biking season now and the bike has already been reassembled.
I didn't think there would be a problem; but I didn't know, so I bottled it. I like working on the bike over the winter and riding it over the summer.
Thanks again: probably hear from me next winter.

Back
Top Bottom