Home maintenance

Andygbsmith

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
OK don’t shoot me for asking this.
I’m looking at buying a 1200GS I don’t won’t to get involved with dealers if I can help it so,
Is the 1200 a viable home service/ repair bike. If yes do you need something like a OB2 reader to reset service and fault lights?
OR. Would I be better off getting a 1150? And not have the cambus electronics

Home maintained both my R1150GS and R1200GSA twin cam. Both very easy to do, bought a GS911 to reset the service light and carry out some of the servicing tasks. So far the 1150 has done 115,000 miles, home serviced since 24,000. The 1200 had 49,000 on the clock when I traded it in, apart from the ‘free’ 600 mile service all home serviced.

Never had to change the clutch but suspect when it’s needed I’ll use the services of Mickyboy or Steptoe from this site.

I can’t speak for the water cooled models.

All liquid changes are easy.

If you don't fancy doing the valves Id go to a good independent, having said that the last 2 checks on my 1200 LC resulted in no changes required........

The GS911 is the best option, sometime come up on here second hand.
A cheaper option is the OBDLink LX or MX used with an OBD2 to 10 pin adaptor cable and the Motorscan APP.
The 1200`s are an easy bike to repair and service.

I have owned and maintained 1100 and 1150 it’s just the cambus that concerned me, I’m a very capable mechanic.
I’ll check out the GS911
Thanks

Have a look at the wiring diagram. The wiring is very simple especially compared with 1990`s Jap bikes.
The diagnostics with a GS911 is straight forward, use a smartphone via bluetooth for basic diagnostics and when coupled to a laptop the full capability is available.

If you get your hands on the CD servicing manual, then it will be an absolute doddle to work on. The manual tells you step for step what to do even down to the location of cable ties.

Try to avoid the earlier models with the Servo brake system if you can, though removal of a faulty system is not an onerous task, but would leave you without ABS if you consider that a problem.

Wiring is the Achilles heel of all bike due to corrosion, but the 1200 connectors are weather sealed unlike the 1150. So are less likely to give problems.

Ian:thumb

FWIW (2011 1200GS) I had no prior experience, I bought the JVB video, went on a Mark's Motorcycle course and I use the OBD Link with motoscan as mentioned by mistacat. No catastrophes or showstoppers thus far so IMHO it is a viable home service/repair bike.

Back
Top Bottom