Valve clearances

47steve

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I am in the process of checking my valve clearance on my GSA 2012. I have stripped down to allow access to the valves and set up to TDC as per manual / videos. I can measure the exhaust side ok but how or what do you use to get into the inlet side?

I have 2 sets of gauges but cannot get them in to measure the gap, do I need a certain type? Is there a set way of doing this? Any tips would be appreciated.

TA Steve

Just line up the marks / lines on the cams and measure between the cam lobes and the cam followers no special feeler gauges.
My 2012 TC has had one valve clearance vary by 1 thou in 85 K miles, I have checked them every service.

Just line up the marks / lines on the cams and measure between the cam lobes and the cam followers no special feeler gauges.
My 2012 TC has had one valve clearance vary by 1 thou in 85 K miles, I have checked them every service.

Yes, Done all that but having trouble getting feeler gauge into the inlet cam lobes?

Yes, Done all that but having trouble getting feeler gauge into the inlet cam lobes?
To me, that would suggest that the clearance is below spec? Are you sure you've got the piston at TDC? I assume that's where it should be?

Sent from my moto e30 using Tapatalk

Is there any gap at all? Does the cam lobe look to be facing away from the rocker, i.e. deffo on base circle?

I am in the process of checking my valve clearance on my GSA 2012. I have stripped down to allow access to the valves and set up to TDC as per manual / videos. I can measure the exhaust side ok but how or what do you use to get into the inlet side?

I have 2 sets of gauges but cannot get them in to measure the gap, do I need a certain type? Is there a set way of doing this? Any tips would be appreciated.

TA Steve

I did mine last week and used a set of angled feeler gauges. However, I'm sure I could have done it with a normal straight set.

I'm sure you have to remove a square rubber piece from below the exhaust valve springs which just pulls out.

worth considering - if doing this at 5C ambient and not 25C you'll get a few thou difference

last time, I ran mine for 10 mins then left it for 40 mins to percolate through to get the chill off - the whole point of the valve check it to ensure the valves have sufficient clearance - (not strictly accurate - but a slappy tappet is a happy tappet)

worth considering - if doing this at 5C ambient and not 25C you'll get a few thou difference

last time, I ran mine for 10 mins then left it for 40 mins to percolate through to get the chill off - the whole point of the valve check it to ensure the valves have sufficient clearance - (not strictly accurate - but a slappy tappet is a happy tappet)
The whole point is to do a valve check as per manufacturer spec,ie hot or cold, not somewhere in between

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk

The whole point is to do a valve check as per manufacturer spec,ie hot or cold, not somewhere in between

-
very clever that was the very reason why I brought the point about temperature to the owner doing the job on a very cold Sunday.

The manu procedure is really a basic compromise that'll probably do (so getting anal and arguing over a sensible suggestion isn't helping) - What all vehicle's really need is the right clearance to allow the valves to fully close and cool down sufficiently, without introducing any hammer action that introduces wear - with the optimal clearances all landed at normal operating temperatures and average running conditions.

-
very clever that was the very reason why I brought the point about temperature to the owner doing the job on a very cold Sunday.

The manu procedure is really a basic compromise that'll probably do (so getting anal and arguing over a sensible suggestion isn't helping) - What all vehicle's really need is the right clearance to allow the valves to fully close and cool down sufficiently, without introducing any hammer action that introduces wear - with the optimal clearances all landed at normal operating temperatures and average running conditions.
What a crock of shite

Not sure why anyone would try to set it up on TDC when all you have to do is align the 2 marks on the cams, it is that easy on a twin cam.

You’d be surprised how many do ….. :D

Aint it so! 55 years ago, my biking mentor (a pal of the late Jimmy Guthrie back in the 30s) took me through the full 4 stroke cycle on my Tiger Cub to set the tappets. TDC on the compression stroke is easy if you know that and do it that way.

Back
Top Bottom