Jura and French Alps in March - What will the weather be like?

Welcome.

Though do take care as to the open / closed state of the roads, as the app / website relies on data it has received, in the same way as Google / Waze does. It is not a perfect science.

This data comes in various ways, anywhere between the local authorities advising of a road closure, through to real time data an app might receive back from its users on the ground. This can lead to misfits. For example:

ViaMichelin is showing that the Stelvio pass is currently open but that the neighbouring Umbrail pass is shut:

289b2b3462fe869d0cdcfe46f5dbe584.png

Google maps is showing that both passes are currently shut:

231e8873306dc4b8d10b56659a17af57.png

Of course if any app or website has no or insufficient data or no information from the local authorities, then the maps will default to what amounts to an ‘unknown’ status. In short, you’d need to go to that point on the road to find out for yourself what is happening, if anything.

Here’s an example, using the Col du Granier; Google (at least at the moment) has no idea of the road’s status:

58a9ebe064e06d169bcb2a16bc2244e2.png

The good news, is that the Col du Granier, is apparently open all year:

https://www.chartreuse-tourisme.com/en/touristic_sheet/col-du-granier-apremont-en-2716989/

But, by way of contrast, Google knows that the approach roads of the D916 (Col du l’Epine) a little away to the north-north-west are shut, just to the north of Saint Sulpice. Apparently, the pass was open until early December 2022, when it joined the growing list of shut passes:

https://www.ledauphine.com/transport/2022/12/07/fermeture-des-cols-de-l-epine-et-du-sapenay

Anyone who was planning / intending to use the Col du l’Epine today, would be disappointed or (even more dull) finding themselves turning around, even if other passes in the area might well be open. Similarly, if you ask what dates the Col du l’Elpine is open, you might get told:

From 15/04 to 31/10.
Depending on the weather.

In other words, the Col du l’Ipine shut finally very late in 2022 - apparently, not until December - and it will probably still be shut in March 2023, staying closed until about mid-April…… the important words being: Depending on the weather.

This whole thread shows the dangers inherent in asking “What’ll it be like, what’s the way to go?” type questions on any forum, especially several weeks (and in some cases, many months) in advance and on one as UK’centric as UKGSer.

The truth is nobody really knows, unless they happen to live there and can look out of the window (or drive to that spot) to report on what is the reality on the ground that very morning. You’ll get anything from “Every pass is shut until at least early June”, when of course not every pass is shut, through to “I went in - insert month, week or even day of choice - and it was 18 degrees, except when I went another year when it was -3C and the road was closed”. Not least (and this is regularly forgotten on these pages) some passes are open but only if the vehicle is fitted with snow tyres / chains. Both are impractical for the vast majority of motorcycles, obviously. Equally, bods report that they “Ignored the barriers and went up. It was great, mate”. Yes, it sometimes is indeed, ‘Great, mate’ and on other occasions it isn’t.

Enjoy your holiday, no matter what and do be sure to let us know how you get on, please.

:beerjug:

So it appears the OP is not actually planning on riding the Alps at all, as RN is not in the Alps.

I don't know much about the area this time of year, other than it is still Ski Season, which is a bit of a giveaway as to what weather is likely, and I believe many passes are open only on one side to get the Ski Folk to the resorts, and they only need to clear one side for that.

I would stick with RN, Gorge du Verdon and maybe the Cevennes / Tarn Gorge which are quite far south and much lower, could still be bloody cold, but probably much more likely to be passable than high alpine passes?

I agree, the Route Napoleon is not in the Alps but most people (for one reason or another) associate it with the Alps. I guess because people link it to Annecy / Grenoble / Geneva and the like in the French alps.

Indeed, the clue to the weather and roads, lies (in part at least) in the skiing nature of much of the upper ends of the OP’s intended journey southwards; skiing being associated with, amongst other things, snow, cold and short’ish hours of daylight…… rain at the lower levels, too. I have spent a lot of time in the middle of Provence; it was quite chilly in March, not helped by the colder winds coming down the Rhône valley from the Alps.

I wonder which way he intends to come back and when?

I wonder which way he intends to come back and when?

That's the way - add even more confusion!

With mountain passes there are no hard and fast rules (apart from the Col D'Iseran not being opened before week two of June).
Late May 2022 I was in Interlaken heading to the Mugello MotoGP and intended, as I had done a few times previously, to ride over the Susten Pass to Andermatt and on to the Oberalp but the Susten was closed due to snow. I ended up riding the Simplon pass, in fog, then getting a train through a mountain into Italy!

So it appears the OP is not actually planning on riding the Alps at all, as RN is not in the Alps.

The last time I looked on a map, Chambrey and Grenoble were in the French Alps.
I'm not doing any of the higher Alpes at this time of year as I don't have a snow plough on the GS :)

The good news, is that the Col du Granier, is apparently open all year:

https://www.chartreuse-tourisme.com/en/touristic_sheet/col-du-granier-apremont-en-2716989/

Enjoy your holiday, no matter what and do be sure to let us know how you get on, please.

:beerjug:

Thanks Wrapping that's encouraging info!

Ill try to give you the odd update on my progress! :thumb2

I'm staying in Antibes for 3 nights before coming back. I used to stay there when I was working in France many moons ago and since then it's been my dream to arrive by bike and park up in the "parking 2 roues" on the fishermen's quay https://goo.gl/maps/Xsjc2sGM1c4Tm67R7. I'll decide on a return route when I'm there, weather dependent, but I'll probably take easier and warmer roads, maybe starting out via the Luberon.

BTW, In case you haven't seen it before, another great resource is this one: https://alpenrouten.de/alpenpaesse-verkehrsinfos-wintersperren.html
He not only tells you if the passes are open but also gives most of them a biking rating. He seems to have expanded his coverage since I last looked.

I've been playing with the Windy app and website that er-minio recommended and I have to say I'm very impressed with it, thank you. One of its features is that it marks webcams on the map, so you can take a peek at the live weather conditions in those locations. Might come in useful en-route!

A good plan of going back through the Luberon., my parents lived just outside Roussillon for over 20 years.

The last time I looked on a map, Chambrey and Grenoble were in the French Alps.
I'm not doing any of the higher Alpes at this time of year as I don't have a snow plough on the GS :)

I always think of Grenoble as a S#1t hole that is in a valley between the Vercors and the Alps, apparently it sits at 500M, so is a little above sea level, but if I stopped in a Hotel in Grenoble I would not consider myself to be staying in the Alps. I also only really have experience of trying to get past / around the place in heavy traffic in stifling summer heat so my view is probably a bit distorted, however I certainly would not describe Route Napoleon as an Alpine Mountain road / pass.....

...as IMHO if it was, then riding along it in March would be extremely iffy at best.

I’m happy to report the entire route was not just snow-free but also dry bar a few spots of rain. It was overcast and temperatures averaged about 16 degC, expect for one beautiful sunny day in the Jura. It was actually very pleasant riding, without the raging heat that I’m more used to, and I virtually had the roads to myself. Turned out there was no need for such a conservative route and indeed I deviated off the N85 onto some more interesting D roads. Snow I’d forecast on my return, however, so I’m going to flow the Rhone valley.

69417d12ccf5734441c402ea352bd4c5.jpg

Back
Top Bottom