New and in need of a little advice

alicepuppy

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
A brief long story. After years of what can only be described as dithering I have finally made the decision to get a GS.

The bike I am looking at is a 2018 1200GS Rallye with ESA & TFT. I'd copy a link to the add but I've missed out on 2 bikes that I was looking at this weekend alone that sold before I could see them.

I am looking for a little advice on a few things which the bike is missing that I want to add, so here goes...

What are the best crash bars? I think I want full bars rather than just lower engine bars and ideally blue to match the frame. Do I then bother with aux lights, if so what?

I am looking at an aluminium top box, open to suggestions on this.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum!

Others will have different opinions but here are mine

Crash bars - personally I think cylinder head guards protect far better than crash bars, I have OEM, other brands are certainly as good

Aux lights - I hardly ever ride at night and when I do the standard LED headlight is plenty good enough, you may ride lots at night ?

Top box - what size do you need? The OEM will only hold 1 lid, the Larger Givi boxes will hold 2, as will the plastic TRK52 and it won’t mark your lids :D

There’s plenty of good kit available from various manufacturers, lots of it has been tested by folks on here, first work out your needs, then go from there

I find the SW Motech crashbars good as you can still access the heads, without having to remove them. Also handy to mount Aux lighting onto as well.

With Aux lighting it depends on what you want them for; your visibility for riding in low light / dark / nasty weather, or for making you more visible to other traffic. With either there's a plethora of options, and ways to mount/integrate/control them too.
I have a set of Denali S4's mounted on the engine crash bars, and a set of Denali DM 2.0 mounted higher up, with an Amber lens as extra sidelights & indicator repeaters (all wired into the Denali CANSmart).

Welcome. Why don't you pay the subscription on here that opens up the buy and sell part of the forum. I'm sure you will soon find what your looking for already kitted out, there's usually plenty of bikes for sale from forum members.

I have finally got the bike I was looking fir. I'll post some pics once it's delivered. Very happy. Yes I will join and pay my subscription.

Back
Top Bottom