Disc Lock

JRDisaster

Reaction score
Hi. I used to think no one would steal my 1150gs because it's old and dare I say unfashionable so I just relied on the steering lock. I'm starting to be more and more fond of it and would like to deter thieves. I know you can't stop them all and I don't want to carry anything too heavy so I'm thinking of a disc lock.

What would anyone recommend? Which ones fit the GS? Is there a better alternative? Are the ones with audible alarms a gimmick or is that the way to go?

I can't see any 'normal' disclock not fitting.

The ones with Alarms depend totally on YOU being within earshot, and knowing the sound of it - no-one else is going to even notice it, let alone care. (the general public is immune to the sound of vehicle alarms).

They're only really a deterrent to opportunists anyway - a serious bike theft gang will either turn up in a van with 2 short lengths of scaffold tube, and 4 burly blokes and hump the bike into the van, or knock you off the bike at the lights and ride away with it while a 'mate' threatens you with a machete.

If I'm locking up my bike I tend to use an old ABUS u-lock through the rear wheel and the paralever arm, and a heavy disc lock on the front. An opportunist will move on to something easier, a pro-gang will have it whatever, but then - who wants a Rockster? ;)

The best bet is to park near something more desirable, and less securely locked up.

I disagree.

I have the Xena 14 disc lock, its alarmed... its loud!
if you touch the bike it beeps... warning you, if you continue then the alarm goes off

if I'm camping and in a tent 10 feet away and someone tried to move my bike, the whole campsite would be awake and an angry half naked fat tosser would be out of his tent ready to kill :D

if you park outside a shop, as soon as you turn the key and lock it, it makes a loud audible BEEP! as you walk away.
letting any onlooking scroats know its alarmed.

Plus....
if you forget you have it on returning to the bike, when you throw a leg over the bike it BEEPS!
oh yea... better take that off :D

ive owned it a while
never had the alarm tested with the GS
But on my CBR it went off when scroats tried to remove the oxford cover over it.
i popped my head out of the bedroom window and they legged it.

i deter thieves by ...

not washing it

never filling it up and leaving it

having lots of numbers on the odometer

it looks like a ships anchor !

Thanks guys that's helpful, I will get myself a good disc lock with alarm and make or buy a bracket for carrying it. I tried just letting it get filthy but then made the mistake of cleaning it, it's like new at 24 years old so I feel obliged to look after it now.

I always park my old shitters next to nice shiny polished bikes. Seems to have worked well over the last 48 years of riding :D

I’d recommend that you don’t forget having a pound of butter in the fridge, at all times.

I’ve left my GSA and Harley in many places …. Unlocked and on occasion with the keys still in the ignition… mostly as I’m a dopy twat….

They have never been stolen…

I’ve always had butter in the fridge……..

It’s also helps that like baldric and Steptoe….. they look like shit, have more miles then a Mumbai taxi and need a good wash….

I've got a xena with an alarm that I put on the front and a more robust Oxford Big Boss I put on the rear. Disc locks are harder to remove when on the rear disc especially now the scroats have portable angle grinders which makes removing them off the front a lot easier due to easier access

I bought an Oxford XA14 and made a simple bracket that it fixes to under the top box. It does seem to vary between too sensitive and not sensitive at all but it's not to expensive and should make the bike a little bit harder to take.

Back
Top Bottom