Tyre pressure sensors and fitting new tyres

GreyHairedWombat

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have tyre pressure sensors on my 2022 R1250RT (valve is on the cast spoke). I've never has pressure sensors on a bike before. I have bought some new Michelins taking advantage to the recent Black Circles discount. When I take these to a fitter is there an danger the sensors could be damaged? Any advice on the subject would be greatly appreciated

I have tyre pressure sensors on my 2022 R1250RT (valve is on the cast spoke). I've never has pressure sensors on a bike before. I have bought some new Michelins taking advantage to the recent Black Circles discount. When I take these to a fitter is there a danger the sensors could be damaged? Any advice on the subject would be greatly appreciated

Yes there is that danger. Just tell them they are there.

I remove the weights, carefully, and without damaging the painted finish. (Have you seen the sharp 'instrument' some fitters use to remove weights....)

I write 'Pressure Sensor' on a strip of masking tape and apply adjacent to the valve.

Additionally, I mark an arrow on another strip of masking tape and apply according to the wheel direction so the fitter knows which way round to put the tyre.

I have had new tyres fitted to my 1250GSA and my wheels now have a lot of weights on the opposite side of the rim to the valve sensors on both wheels.
There was only a minimal weight with the factory tyres.

Is this normal?

I questioned it with the fitters they said it was normal, and to be fair to them they offered a re balance after a month or so.

My thought are tyres have a counter to the valve and the tyre isn't fitted correctly, or If that's not correct then the pressure sensors are throwing the wheels off balance?

Back
Top Bottom