Aftermarket silencer

Mullabrack

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just fitted a road legal Arrow end can on my new GS1250. Definitely won’t be sneaking out quietly now. Not sure how all these silencers pass noise regs! Hope it’s not just as noticeable on the move..

I have the Remus 8 end can, Love it, Its is slightly louder then my Akro, But a deeper tone. Its passed an MOT so im ok with it, Thats said, Leave the baffles in, As In Germany they can confiscate your bike.
Beautiful tune !

Internet is flooded with this. Surprised you are unaware. It all changed from 2020. DO NOT REMOVE YOUR BAFFLES IN GERMANY !

Do some research. There's plenty to read. The link was the first i found on google after a 2.5 second search. It clearly states. DO NOT Remove baffles, as your machine can be seized.

https://www.femamotorcycling.eu/german-motorcycle-noise/

Internet is flooded with this. Surprised you are unaware. It all changed from 2020. DO NOT REMOVE YOUR BAFFLES IN GERMANY !

Do some research. There's plenty to read. The link was the first i found on google after a 2.5 second search. It clearly states. DO NOT Remove baffles, as your machine can be seized.

https://www.femamotorcycling.eu/german-motorcycle-noise/

Being half German (fluent) and living in France, I tend to watch what is going on. There is no German publication that even mentions confiscating a foreign registered motorbike. In 2020 there was indeed a proposal for new laws to crack down on noise but that can only be for German registered bikes.
This stuff is just scaremongering. Do not depend on Google for legal matters. Your link does not mention seizure, but does point out that these are proposals.

Id not be risking it. Last summer, Just leaving a sleepy German village, My mate was pulled over by the German police. To cut a long story short, If he didnt have his baffles in his pannier, and fitted them there and then, his bike would have been collected. In fact, The truck turned up just as he was leaving.
Not worth the risk.
Picture attached REF seizure being mentioned in the article.

Attachments

• jnhuvg.jpg
    jnhuvg.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 508
Last couple of years on holiday I have seen Austrian Police doing stop checks on bikes with obviously non standard 'loud' exhausts , they were using a noise meter mounted on a tripod and I would assume that they were not giving out prizes for the fruitiest exhaust of the day

I saw something similar on TV here in France, plod wasn’t confiscating bikes but I believe they were immobilizing them, if the riders could put their baffles back in on the spot they got a warning, if not they got a fine and a long walk home

Not cool if your baffles are in your garage in Blighty :tears

Essentially, Europe is moving towards noise control measures for bike exhausts, whether it be Germany, Switzerland, Austria or elsewhere, testing using roadside noise meters.

As I understand it, the acceptable max sound level, detailed in section U of our V5C, will be: -

U1 - stationary ....... 97dB(A)

U2 - chosen engine speed - I cannot see any defined parameters, does anyone know how this is decided?

U3 - Drive-by .......... 80 dB(A)

Many bikes are mighty close to these noise levels in standard trim it seems.

Friends in CH tell me fines (starting at CHF400 &/or confiscation is a possibility, maybe insist the bike is shipped to the nearest border at the riders expense. They also reckon pipes must have manufacturers type approval, but seem to think this only applies to residents at present, as it becomes impractical to police the issue efficiently when dealing with foreign riders. RT fines for CH residents, particularly for repeat offenders, can get eyewatering.

Personally, I have only come across noise checks in Austria, always on the Hahntennjoch riding north out of Imst - it appeared to be a fruitful exercise for the local plod at the weekend. Similarly, for those who know the western Tyrol, they love to lie in wait for traffic leaving the A12 autobahn, taking the Landeck tunnel southbound, in the hope that you have forgotten your vignette (bikes now Euros 5.80 - 10days).

Last couple of years on holiday I have seen Austrian Police doing stop checks on bikes with obviously non standard 'loud' exhausts , they were using a noise meter mounted on a tripod and I would assume that they were not giving out prizes for the fruitiest exhaust of the day

very good :D:D:D:jes

I have the Remus 8 end can, Love it, Its is slightly louder then my Akro, But a deeper tone. Its passed an MOT so im ok with it, Thats said, Leave the baffles in, As In Germany they can confiscate your bike.
Beautiful tune !
Did you go full system or just end can?

I travelled over to see WSBK at Nurburgring about 5 years ago (make that 10...) and stayed at a nearby hotel for the whole weekend. The funniest/What! moments of the trip was sitting having a beer at said hotel one evening when we received a phone call from one of our group "anyone got a baffle for an R1?" After we'd all patted our clothes down and confirmed that we hadn't packed R1 baffles amongst our BMW luggage then picked ourselves up off the floor we discovered he'd been stopped by the police. Although they were very civilised about the whole thing he was told that he either got a baffle fitted or his bike was going nowhere until one was purchased after the weekend. Miraculously one of group's Yamaha 900 Diversion's baffles was found to do the job, get out of jail card accepted. Suffice to say said R1, with baffle returned to rightful owner, was ridden very sedately out of Germany.

So in short, yes it happens.

Back
Top Bottom