Amazon Prime / Apple TV 4K

sparkplug

Landlord
Mod Squad
Solutions
Reaction score
second from the left, third from the right
This one is driving me nuts - hoping someone might be able to help.

Apple TV 4K works fine with all other apps (Netflix, ITV, BBC etc)

Amazon Prime, however, allows you to scroll through the programs, search etc and recognises the account and all that good stuff BUT when you try to play anything it comes back with the massively unhelpful "something went wrong" error message and won't play anything.

I have:

Updated the Apple TV to the latest version
Logged out of Prime and back in
Deleted the Prime app and re-installed it.
Force quit the Apple TV

The behaviour remains unchanged.

Just to add a layer of complexity, I also run a Pi-Hole with Unbound but I have disabled this, whitelisted all the Amazon domains that were being blocked and it still has made no difference.

I've also managed to play Prime successfully on a phone connected to the same WiFi network before I disabled Pi-Hole and it worked just fine.

I'm at an impasse. Can't think of anything else to try. Did a YouTube search and they all suggest all the things I've already tried.

Any suggestions?

I’ve had this some months ago. Very annoying. Restarting the Apple TV would fix it for a while.
Are you with Sky (data line-wise)?

I always assumed the error is with the Prime app.

Virgin for the data, but the fact it works on a mobile phone through the same network / firewall makes me think it must be the app as well - rather than the carrier.

I've checked and the Apple TV is listed as a supported device and everything else on the Apple TV works fine.

Everything is pointing to the app.

Frustrating.

Having read this, I just downloaded the Amazon Prime Video app onto my M1 iMac. I already have it on my Android TV. Try to open the app and computer says no multiple times.

Virgin for the data, but the fact it works on a mobile phone through the same network / firewall makes me think it must be the app as well - rather than the carrier.

I've checked and the Apple TV is listed as a supported device and everything else on the Apple TV works fine.

Everything is pointing to the app.

Frustrating.

Have you tried turning data off and forcing phone to us wifi only to check the app on the tv?

I had similar on my Sony smart TV. Got the same error message over and over again. Other apps working fine utube etc.
In the end I did a factory reset of the TV and after logging back into my sky fibre broadband and to the Amazon app on the TV (pre installed I'll add) it's now working fine. It was most frustrating.

Back
Top Bottom