Second bike?

Travelling Pan style

2000 ST1100, bought with 31,000 miles on over 6 years ago, it now has 78,500 miles, ridden through the past few winters, never misses a beat. Not much power or braking compared to modern standards , but you know what?......love it. Also, in my opinion one of the best engines ever built. :rob

TD
:thumb2

Attachments

• 322688887_690520579118821_9607396377815653_n.jpg
    322688887_690520579118821_9607396377815653_n.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 351
I'm not sure I agree with your assertion about the LC but I have an '08 G650 X-Country as well. I can see it becoming increasingly important as I'm getting older

Lightweight bikes , the way to go .
See so many old farts struggling with bikes that are far to big and heavey

I think quite a few on here are way further down the proverbial rabbit hole to be talking about choices of second bikes

My list of shame :-

BMW R1250GSA
KTM1090 Adventure S
BMW R1150GS
Yamaha TDM 900
Suzuki GSX 1100 Katana
CCM404E
Yamaha XS650 (project)
Suzuki GSX750E (project)

I'm not sure I agree with your assertion about the LC but I have an '08 G650 X-Country as well. I can see it becoming increasingly important as I'm getting older

Same here i love my 57 plate G650x. 150kg so easy to move, pick up etc. There is something about a single thumper. These bikes cruise at 80 and with 75mpg, tyres last in excess of 12k miles. Everytime i ride mine it puts a smile on my face.

I had an early funduro - chalk and cheese

Yep, big adventure bike and Harley. That’s where I’m going for number 3..

Number 2 is pretty! And pretty uncomfortable!

Barry

Attachments

• 116164E0-06ED-4CD2-84FF-7122346917BC.jpg
    116164E0-06ED-4CD2-84FF-7122346917BC.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 297
I also have a few!
Not sure which the first is . . . probably a toss up between KTM 1190 Adventure R and R 100 GS, rest of stable includes
Husky TR 650 Terra (modified by Mikeyboy)
Honda VFR750 FT
KTM 450 EXC 450
Triumph T100S
Velocette 500 Venom

Yearnings include Norton, Motoguzzi, Matchless/AJS.

Honda ADV 350 scoot - tbh the scoot makes me smile every time I sit on it, much more than the GS - If I could only have 1 it would be the Honda…

Farkled, sparkled and ready to roll. GS for extended rides, the zed for sunny lazy days

Attachments

• IMG_3747 (1).jpg
    IMG_3747 (1).jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 273
@ Schtum...Now, THAT is a lovely piece of work, well-cared for and a great reflection of your attention to detail. Thanks for sharing. Luverly indeed!

Thanks but, I'm not entirely responsible. I take it you're talking about the bike, not our house or my old petrol pump, that's converted into a lamp...? :D

I bought the bike from Long John on here in 2018 and it was in very good cosmetic condition. I'd not been very well for quite a while and I hoped it would enable me to get back on a bike.
It did that but I hated it because it was dog slow. A Hilltop flash and then a run on a local dyno revealed it was only making 29 bhp at the rear wheel. That explained why it didn't want to go much over 70 mph.

I thought about it a lot. One day it occurred to me that what I thought was a quick action throttle might not be all it seemed and that if I twisted it really hard against the stop, there was a bit of give and the engine note deepened slightly. I don't suppose.... My son and I whipped off the dummy tank and lo and behold, there was a restrictor on the the throttle stop stamped with 25 kW which is equal to 33 bhp. The bike was originally registered in Northern Ireland and it was restricted to that power output to comply with the NI new rider legislation. It would appear that none of the previous owners had noticed this or been concerned about it.

A quick job with the Eclipse hacksaw saw much of the restriction removed and the bike certainly went much better. However, it still suffered from erratic running, relatively poor fuel economy and didn't like to hot start.

A diagnosis on Motorrad dealer level kit by Calum at Central Customs in Roslin revealed what he said was a very unusual fault code where prior GS-911 scans had not shown anything. There was an intermittent failure of the crankshaft position sensor. Calum replaced that and adjusted the valve clearances and the bike now runs very well, especially with its recently fitted Akrapovič clone header pipe, courtesy of John Nicholson.

Other than that, it's recently been fitted with the updated clutch cover and mechanism because the original one was showing the common fault of the pushrod wearing the side of the bore.
It's also been fitted with: a fully floating Brembo front brake disc which has made a big difference to the stopping performance; a set of Barkbuster handguards; my old Navigator IV and 4 button mount; a Leo Vince exhaust can; some R&G crash bobbins on both wheel spindles and a few other tweaks. I bought another seat for it last year with a view to having a custom upholstery job done on it.

More to the point is that the bike now runs like it should and probably better than it did when new. It's fun to ride on twisty, bumpy back roads with its soft, long travel suspension. It's a bit like a two wheeled 2 CV in that respect. A thrash over local roads with a friend on his Bonneville Scrambler revealed that he was having to work hard to keep up.

Unfortunately, I haven't ridden anything for about 18 months due to poor health, although I'm hoping to get back on a bike in the next few months. I have some friends of friends coming from California to stay for a few days in June. They're renting a bike and expecting me to show them round a bit.

In the meantime, the wee bike has only been ridden to the MOT testing station and back by my son. I've not ridden it since the crank sensor was replaced but he assures me it now whizzes up to a ton quite readily.

This pic of me down at the beach in St Andrews is one of the few occasions that I've been out on it.

Attachments

• 0049B964-7E9A-4E3C-B38F-D0AC31085373_1_105_c.jpg
    0049B964-7E9A-4E3C-B38F-D0AC31085373_1_105_c.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 367
+1 for the Himalayan. Great little bike
Or the MG California Special?

PS: this thread confirms I need more bikes!

My second is a Himalayan bought primarily for dragging round behind the campervan, local commuting with the potential for green laning. It’s done less than 1000 miles since June 21, but has been out recently.

3rd is my teenage fantasy 1978 RD250D, which I periodically think I should sell and then don’t as it’s rarely used.

Up until last year my second bike was a 1976 Triumph Bonneville that I’d completely rebuilt and modified myself. Got bored with it soon after it was finished, even though it ran brilliantly for an old Triumph, sold it to fund my 21 R1250GS.
I’ve fancied a Ducati for years and never had one, so keep looking at them. I’m looking at the latest Monster 937 or maybe an 821.
Older monsters don’t appear to get that much cheaper, people asking too much for them.

Back
Top Bottom