Attachments

• IMG-20220619-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20220619-WA0003.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 246
For clarity I'm on the right.;)
Bob does want to speak to Orinoco though. :augie

What !

8d663abe313abb10ee57c02915b98683.jpg

This, I was told by a BMW Aftersales bod that the 1200C was built to take on Harley in the USA, just shows how arrogant they are as a manufacturer.

Arrogant, maybe. Optimistic, certainly.

But then so were Suzuki, Yamaha and Kawasaki. Those 3 have now withdrawn from the large cruiser market in Europe leaving BMW and H-D to fight it out. I love the look of the R18 but would not give it garage-space otherwise.

I had one overnight whilst my 1250 was in for service.
Bigger is not necessarily better, they are proof than you can in fact have too large an engine in a motorcycle. Felt a bit like a chop/custom where someone had put a car engine in a bike frame and didn`t tune the chassis to match.. Some folk might like that feeling. Character i believe it`s called.
The huge motor has too much of an influence over the rest of the chassis in various odd and surprising characteristics...
A reverse gear on any motorcycle should start ringing alarm bells (not literally, i mean).
I didn`t dislike it though, but cruisers arn`t my bag anyway.
The vast reserve of torgue and silly-low rpm at cruising speed was novel. Brisk progress can be made (as long as it`s in a straight line).
Surprisingly smooth, at times completely vibration-free.
I was worried that my 1250 might seem a bit lame, vibey and feeble after handing the 18 back but it wasn`t at all - it was quicker, smoother and much more of a pleasant bike to ride.
Probably not a long-term ownership proposition for many owners, i came away thinking they`re just a novelty, really.

The best place for them is a crate, then buried like surplus war stock, F*****g hideous.

Al.

I must be the2nd and Chris the third owners :D

I love mine, very different riding experience to the GS but when I’m on the R18 everything just slows down :) I’m in a happy place.

I love it’s character and styling and the build quality is exceptional IMHO :thumb2

Mines a keeper :beerjug:

Jon

I bought an r18 classic - i'm a tosser sized 6ft size 12 feet lunker in wales and it's comfy and makes me smile everytime i ride it :)

I'm 62 and ridden since i was 15 and this is joint first with the 1200gs (which was a 04 and i foolishly sold it in 2012) for fave bike (i've owned 100's)

I bought an r18 classic - i'm a tosser sized 6ft size 12 feet lunker in wales and it's comfy and makes me smile everytime i ride it :)

I'm 62 and ridden since i was 15 and this is joint first with the 1200gs (which was a 04 and i foolishly sold it in 2012) for fave bike (i've owned 100's)

Bizarre .
Im 6’1” and size 11 feet and the R18 is one if the most uncomfortable bikes I’ve ever sat on as cylinders block natural leg placement.

Bizarre .
Im 6’1” and size 11 feet and the R18 is one if the most uncomfortable bikes I’ve ever sat on as cylinders block natural leg placement.

aye strange eh :) i have the standard classic seat fitted too which is slightly higher than the non classic r18.

I’ve just completed a 1500 miles round trip to Avignon and back via the Route Napoleon on mine (in 7 days). The bike was bloody brilliant, although I’ll need new pegs soon as they touched down more than a BA777…
I’ll even go as far to say that if I’m ever in a position where I can only have the one bike the GSA will go…
Oh and I’ 5’11” and found it very comfortable. It also performed far better than both the Fat Boy and Softtail Slim that joined us…. German over US all day long…

For those who find the ergonomics comfortable, the price for a genuinely premium bike raises a few question marks over the pricing for the latest R12XXGS.

Arrogant, maybe. Optimistic, certainly.

But then so were Suzuki, Yamaha and Kawasaki. Those 3 have now withdrawn from the large cruiser market in Europe leaving BMW and H-D to fight it out. I love the look of the R18 but would not give it garage-space otherwise.
That was in mid 90’s I remember HD looking things from Japan.

Fiction

Fact

Fugly
Beauty, eye of the beholder etc…

I think the R18 (plain or classic) is one of the prettiest bikes bmw has ever made, same way I think the GS is one of the ugliest bikes anyone has ever made. Market clearly disagrees. But then again, very few actually have any taste, and from those that do, very few actually buy or decide based on looks and beauty.

I do think the R18 is massively overpriced vs utility it offers, it clearly has comfort issues (never sat or ridden one yet) vs any GS of the last 25 years that is exactly the opposite. Well perhaps lately they are also overpriced, but offer a one-bike-does-all, tour, scratch in comfort amd make the rider feel like a hero by allowing them to utilise and ride the bloody things at 8/10s without stress. Shame I cant insure a GS any longer for street parking and daily use in central London.

Last week whilst in Spain and France I’ve seen 3 of the R18 on the road. But only 1 (two weeks ago) in Britain ever since they’ve launched it what seem like a long time ago.

Beauty, eye of the beholder etc…

I think the R18 (plain or classic) is one of the prettiest bikes bmw has ever made, same way I think the GS is one of the ugliest bikes anyone has ever made. Market clearly disagrees. But then again, very few actually have any taste, and from those that do, very few actually buy or decide based on looks and beauty.

I do think the R18 is massively overpriced vs utility it offers, it clearly has comfort issues (never sat or ridden one yet) vs any GS of the last 25 years that is exactly the opposite. Well perhaps lately they are also overpriced, but offer a one-bike-does-all, tour, scratch in comfort amd make the rider feel like a hero by allowing them to utilise and ride the bloody things at 8/10s without stress. Shame I cant insure a GS any longer for street parking and daily use in central London.
If you've not ridden or sat on one, you must be hard pressed to form an informative opinion. Just sayin

The new Roctane version gets a positive review in Bike magazine . They say it is a better riding proposition in many ways versus the first Editon due to different frame geometry , larger wheels , different bars & pegs , although I much prefer the looks of the original bike .

The new Roctane version gets a positive review in Bike magazine . They say it is a better riding proposition in many ways versus the first Editon due to different frame geometry , larger wheels , different bars & pegs , although I much prefer the looks of the original bike .
For Roctane (engine configuration aside)....see Road King Special

Just don’t think that engine looks right in a cruiser concept of bike .

Back
Top Bottom