oils
starter motor
Hall effect sensor
Fuel pump and all new hoses
Plugs
Coils
Injectors
Battery
When warm its starts fine and rides lovely but cold it's bloody embarrassing. Takes about a minute of holding the start button and turning over and it'll eventually go.
Only thing I've noticed is the primary plugs are whiteish and the lower plugs darker.
Been to a couple of mechanics who can't find the problem. Any help again would be much loved

My thoughts.

When you press the starter button, the lights should go out, as the load shedding relay chops power to circuits to allow maximum power for the starting cycle. If this does not happen then your load shedding relay could be faulty.

Have you tried starting it from cold with a slave battery attached to the jump terminals. This could point to a voltage drop in the system when the starter is pulling the most current. When the engine is warm the starter motor has less resistance and therefore draws less current and therefore less voltage drop.

There is an additional relay fitted to the fuse box on some, not all twin spark models to enhance the voltage provided to the stick coils. Do you have it fitted ? If so is it faulty ?

Attachments

• BF83270F-0A92-4B61-97F5-57ECA9F8665E.jpg
    BF83270F-0A92-4B61-97F5-57ECA9F8665E.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 139
There are other things you can try as well in case something is affecting the starting cycle of the Motronic.

I believe the engine will start and run with:-

Throttle potentiometer disconnected.
Lambda probe disconnected.
Air temp sensor disconnected.

I think the Motronic has built in fixed values for some if not all of these sensors in case they fault and you need to get home.

Additionally, there is a redundant unused connector tied to the right hand side of the top frame rail rear of the rider seat. This cable is directly wired into the important components of your start cycle, fuel pump, ignition coil, injectors. It might have become chaffed enough to form a high resistance path to earth which could be dragging the voltage down at the most critical time when maximum voltage is required (cold start).

So my gs is still reluctant to start.
Its an 05 adventure, 40k.
It starts but reluctantly when cold.

Been to a couple of mechanics who can't find the problem. Any help again would be much loved

If they had diagnosed it instead of firing a parts cannon at it

1st question Do you use the "Fast Idle Lever" aka the choke?

If you move it from full off to full on, when warm do the Revs rise? If No

Next time when you are starting it when it is cold, Hold the throttle open about an 1/8 of an inch on the twistgrip, put tippex mark on the inner side of the twistgrip rubber against the switch housing and use that as your indicator Twist the throttle on and have a 3 - 4mm gap between the lines

AS for diagnostics

Using a voltmeter between the rear most wire on the TPS to a GOOD ground the TPS should should about 0.38 to 0.4 volts with the ignition on

And getting a fuel pressure regulator between the feed hose and the fuel pressure regulator you should get a reading of about 2 bar? Low pressure and you won't get a good spray pattern

And if all those are good Disconnect the Lamda probe at the connector under the tank

To be honest I am wondering has all this poking under the tank dislodged your throttle cable ?

Does the engine run Lumpy ???

This is not a cure for your problem, but it's a kindness to any engine. When it's very cold warm the heads with a hair dryer or a hot air paint stripper (set to a low temperature) for 5 minutes.

My gs is pretty good but I have another bike which mis behaves when cold. If I try to make an early start I can't get it to pull away without revving and stalling. But warming the head for 5 minutes allows me to slip quietly away. I imagine my neighbours appreciate it.

This is not a cure for your problem, but it's a kindness to any engine. When it's very cold warm the heads with a hair dryer or a hot air paint stripper (set to a low temperature) for 5 minutes.
Oh dear!!

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk

I'll get my coat

But I'm assuming that you've checked the neutral light switch and the side stand switch

There is an additional relay fitted to the fuse box on some, not all twin spark models to enhance the voltage provided to the stick coils. Do you have it fitted ? If so is it faulty ?
I also do get starting issues from time to time. Have a 2003 gsa and would like to install the additional relay to power up the stick coils, just to eliminate them being culprits. I like to ask if there are any threads on how the wirings go for the additional relay for the coils. Thanks plenty.
And apologies for the thread hijacking here.

Back
Top Bottom