Bing carb adjustment.

Nin

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
One for the cognoscenti.

I’ve got 32mm bj gs on my R100 Siebenrock with R80 heads and a squish band.

The carbs have been completely rebuilt/serviced.

Cables all have 2-3mm slack

But

On balancing the carbs, I’ve wound out the LH throttle stop so far it’s no longer actuating the throttle spindle, and I can’t get a balanced tickover below 1200 rpm. I can drop it by adjusting the rh carb but then it’s out of balance.

Float levels are fine, chokes seem fine, I Sparta carb cleaner on intakes when it’s running, no increase in recession so assuming no leaks.

Im going to go right back to basics, but before it do thought I’d check in here that I’m not missing something obvious?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Right back to basics means starting with valve clearances and timing, then balance carbs. (source: Haynes)

Then there's checking the chokes for correct assembly internally, and that the cables allow the shaft to return all the way to the stops (which have been correctly set after any rebuild).

You could also check if a butterfly securing screw has dropped out....

Cheers Tim, good procedural discipline.

Valve clearances are good, cables are free, new air filter, compression equal on both sides.

But haven’t checked choke stops and assembly - good shout.

As Tim says above,
Check the choke discs to make sure they’ve not been mixed up.
From the inside of the assembly they are marked L +R on the brass spindle.
Then it’s worth checking that the throttle butterfly discs are correctly located on the spindle and are closing correctly,
Most 32 mm have a dot punch mark that should face engine side and be at the top.

Got it ta - so I’m chasing the wrong end of the problem.

Has this problem suddenly started, or since you’ve done the other work you’ve mentioned ..

Has this problem suddenly started, or since you’ve done the other work you’ve mentioned ..

It’s a setup thing, so have systematically worked through everything else and this is the last one to get right.

I had a similar problem found out its was the disc in the carb that regulates the air input ( don't know the correct term ) this wasn't sitting square and letting in air. I loosened the 2 brass screws and let it settle

All good after that

Getting there.

Starter jet on LH was properly knackered - left and right compared.

736afcdd1ec562bed112b7d3122aca24.jpg

I now know why it never starts on the LH side when cold - has the wrong (new) disk fitted. Luckily I’ve got a pair of 40mm Bings in the roof so can steal one of them.

IMG_6150.jpg
RH side

IMG_6147.jpg
LH side

Float levels redone, let’s see how that works …

I found that after checking all that stuff it makes things a lot easier if i first set the throttle stops accuratly using a feeler gauge.

That disc on the left hand side is identical to the discs on my R80GS basic (both left and right) with two out of the four holes blank. Was scratching my head thinking they were blocked at first but apparently they’re supposed to be like that. Mine starts fine on choke on both sides

Yep I can get that. Having different one on each side is not so good. I swapped in one from my 40mm carbs and have identical on both sides now. It started better.

All sorted and running smoothly now. Ign timing is just a wee bit advanced which isn’t helping, but that’s easily sorted.

Back
Top Bottom