2004 headers on a 2010 camhead r1200gs

GrahamWebb

Reaction score
Hi I am struggling with how loud my 2010 GSA exhaust is and its hurting my poor ears! ;) It turns out my bike has stainless steel Black Widow decat headers, the flapper valve is present but the middle flap has been removed so its effectively bypassed but has the stock end can fitted. I have seen a set of oem headers in good condition going at a decent price but they are off a 2004 r1200gs. Will 2004 headers fit a 2010 cam head?

Thanks Graham

Not according to the parts list.

Attachments

• 30164B2F-5AC6-411A-A2A3-8D18C34223A9.jpg
    30164B2F-5AC6-411A-A2A3-8D18C34223A9.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 237
  • 8E307325-AA7A-400D-B047-492F71329E13.jpeg
    8E307325-AA7A-400D-B047-492F71329E13.jpeg
    83.8 KB · Views: 232
I think you will need the silencer as well and the flap will need to be removed. Someone on here will have some proper headers available.

The cat quietens the exhaust note a fair amount, It is surprisingly restrictive see photo of a cat core that I have removed in the past.
If you want it quite use a complete pre twin cam stock system 04 to 09 this way you also loose the troublesome flap valve.

etH5dtX.jpg
[/IMG]

Thanks Mistacat, I think I will go for the headers then and then try and get a stock muffler to go with it. I would be much happier with a quieter bike, I often just like to plod around single track lanes and don’t like loud pipes. I am not bothered about minor changed to power.

Thanks Mistacat, I think I will go for the headers then and then try and get a stock muffler to go with it. I would be much happier with a quieter bike, I often just like to plod around single track lanes and don’t like loud pipes. I am not bothered about minor changed to power.

I expect that there are still quite a few people out there that wants a de-cated header.

If I was in OPs shoes, I would try to advertise for an equal trade, that is a stock header for a decat header...

If there is the desire to hold on to the decat header (for some reason), perhaps Morworks may be able to help with getting a used header..

I have got a set of 2004-2009 headers now them up for £60 on marketplace. Have ordered an oem silencer to fit from Ebay for the same so £120 and I will have the full quiet earlier model exhaust.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/285144245239

I did have to order the bracket as well which goes around the cat and bolts to the bottom of the bike and the muffler us missing the heat shield trim but mine should fit the older one as well. I should be able to sell the decat headers once I have swapped over, in fact I will have the full Black Widow system.

Does anyone have any tips, I am in a bit of a pickle? The crash bar, front section is in the way of one of my left hand exhaust nuts. The nuts seem very tight so I need to get a good socket on them so it looks like the best way is to remove that section of the crash bar. Now the bottom crash bar bolt seems very tight and is not budging and I am afraid it will snap if I give it some with my breaker bar. Have been applying lots of Plusgas to all the bolts involved. Oh no what to do, I don't want sheared bolts, the aluminium on this bike seems to weld itself to them. :(

Well it seems its crisis averted for now. There is no way those bottom bolts are undoing but I was able to loosen the exhaust nut off with a ring spanner. The little bolt up by the cylinder head is also rounded so best to leave the crash bars alone now they don’t need to come off.

I have the headers off now so thats good, but one of the O2 sensors, the right side one really doesn't want to come off. The other side came off with a dead blow hammer and a spanner but this one is rounding off and the spanner is bending. I am going to leave it for tonight. Maybe look at replacement O2 sensors.

The sensor is marked 7718140-01.

I have the headers off now so thats good, but one of the O2 sensors, the right side one really doesn't want to come off. The other side came off with a dead blow hammer and a spanner but this one is rounding off and the spanner is bending. I am going to leave it for tonight. Maybe look at replacement O2 sensors.

The sensor is marked 7718140-01.

Get some heat on the exhaust.

Doing up and undoing the lambdas is easier with the pipes still on th bike. Put em back on, 22mm ring spanner, sharp tap with a mallet, job done.

I think these ones have been over torqued or something. I laid the exhaust on top of an old duvet, 22mm ring spanner on the sensor and trod on the spanner and the spanner bent before it budged!

I have the headers on now, just waiting for my muffler to arrive. I have ordered a used O2 sensor from ebay, as that one is all mashed up now. :(

I had to remove the rear bracket that holds the bash plate in place to get them on and was worried about undoing those bolts but lucky they were ok. Have put them back with copper grease, copper grease on everything!

Is it recommended to replace the gaskets on the O2 sensors, if so can I just cut off the old and use an appropriately sized copper washer?

No need to replace the gasket.
As you say copper slip on everything, just be careful to only put it on the Lambda / 02 sensor threads don`t get any on the sensor element.

Well my 2004 - 2009 silencer arrived and I was able to get it fitted and start the bike up. It seems a much softer quieter exhaust burble now. One very minor issue is the silencer I got on Ebay didn’t come with the heat shield, I thought my old one would fit but it doesn’t so can anyone help me with the part number or any ideas on something universal that might do the job? Thanks, will have a test ride later.

Back
Top Bottom