Wales; anyone recommend a good base for trips?

Carlosfandango

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi, I been reading Oddjobs routes and other recomendations, there is a lot to do and see in Wales! Can anyone recommend a town to stay in for 3-4 days so we can do the best routes as day trips? There will be probably four of us on bikes for a pensioners mid week break. There are just too many choices, thanks

Rhayader is a good location. Elan Valley on the doorstep. Cambrian Mountains, Brecon Beacons and Snowdonia are easy day trips.

Last time I stayed there we used https://goo.gl/maps/uvJJQCR2aGmbshcKA but it seems to have had a remodel and no longer has the attached curry house.

Ty Morgans by the clock tower is okay

The Triangle Inn across the river does great food but not stayed there is there has never been any availability https://goo.gl/maps/5mbwzrHnqtrVt9Uq7

I stopped in Bala for 4 nights in 2021.

4 roads out of town so my day trips ranged from Anglesey north to Elan Valley south.

Rode up the Mach Loop, but wrong time for jets flying.

Loved it.

I found Plas Yn Dre on Main Street. Big back yard for parking.

Attachments

• E27E4406-0C26-4C4C-A634-1A32344CDF4B.jpg
    E27E4406-0C26-4C4C-A634-1A32344CDF4B.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 270
  • ABFF0655-8800-451F-943D-5693CB8B181D.jpg
    ABFF0655-8800-451F-943D-5693CB8B181D.jpg
    250.7 KB · Views: 269
  • A067E957-C0CD-43E2-B86D-EED4F97FD207.jpg
    A067E957-C0CD-43E2-B86D-EED4F97FD207.jpg
    224.7 KB · Views: 272
  • E4C62B57-7EC6-4BEC-9CA1-276FACD78CAC.jpg
    E4C62B57-7EC6-4BEC-9CA1-276FACD78CAC.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 287
Bala is well located for great routes. If you really want to treat yourself a night at the Lake Vyrnwy Hotel - not far from Bala in a stunning location.

We use Ludlow.
Maybe not quite "in the thick of it" but on the edge of great roads. Devil's Bridge, Aberystwyth only 60 miles away. I go via Bala to get there. I agree Bala would be good too.

The reason for Ludlow, is primarily the Ludlow Brewery. A fabulous "Brewery Tap", and a lovely town with good eateries (inc an excellent Curry House ;)), and good pubs. We always start in the Tap of course, but as it shuts early we head for food and then a lovely little "old Street Tavern". We use a nice B&B (called Henwick House) with good parking and a fab breakfast. My brother and I meet there and use it for forays into Wales.. It's halfway for us as he's in Lyme Regis and I'm in Cumbria (about 4 hours travelling for each of us if we avoid motorways where reasonably possible)... If you're sharing Henwick has two twin rooms...

another good place, Neuadd Arms in Llanwrtyd Wells, which has it's own microbrewery

Rhayader is a good location. Elan Valley on the doorstep. Cambrian Mountains, Brecon Beacons and Snowdonia are easy day trips.

Last time I stayed there we used https://goo.gl/maps/uvJJQCR2aGmbshcKA but it seems to have had a remodel and no longer has the attached curry house.

The Triangle Inn across the river does great food but not stayed there is there has never been any availability https://goo.gl/maps/5mbwzrHnqtrVt9Uq7

The lovely Sian will sort you out at The Bear, Rhayader.

The Triangle has changed hands, but still does great food. Recommended!

We stayed here last October.

Not the most modern accommodation but it was OK. Good breakfasts and private parking. Bikes went in large shed. Short walk to lots of good pubs.

We stayed here last October.

Not the most modern accommodation but it was OK. Good breakfasts and private parking. Bikes went in large shed. Short walk to lots of good pubs.

If this is referring to the Horseshoe, I'm staying there in the next week or so. I can update then...........

Bala is well located for great routes. If you really want to treat yourself a night at the Lake Vyrnwy Hotel - not far from Bala in a stunning location.

Arsey stayed at the hotel and as I recall would probably not do so again …

Maybe Arsey is a bit more fussy than me lol
I thought it was lovely - had an evening meal and breakfast - both great and overlooking the lake - so my recommendation based entirely on my own experience.
Each to their own of course.

The Boxertrix group have a yearly meet up organised by Steve Parry ex of Chester BMW they use the Hand in Llangollen, Baskerville Hall nr Hay on Wye, The Dragon Hotel in Montgomery and the Lion in Criccieth just on the Lleyn peninsular, I have stayed at all of them and been very well looked after and had great days out riding around Mid & North Wales at all of them.
This year we are at the Hand.

Al.

If this is referring to the Horseshoe, I'm staying there in the next week or so. I can update then...........

It was indeed the Horseshoe i was referring to.

Thought it was a direct link. Seems it wasn't.

I’ve stayed (camped) in Bala and just south of Brecon on my last 2 wales trips. If you’ve got 4 days then Bala or somewhere up north is a good bet as there are a few fantastic loops you can do from there and always get something different.

Loop ideas from Bala:
Down to Aberystwyth, then Devils Bridge and take the mountain road to Elan Valley then return straight up the middle

NW up the left hand side of Snowdonia, option to go to Anglesey, back down the middle past Snowdon

Day loop through the middle of Snowdonia staying on the little tracks (great fun, I’ll try and find my GPX files for it)

SE to Lake Vyrnwy then pick mountain passes towards Newtown (I use this route to head back towards Cheltenham direction but you can loop back up to Bala easily)

Welsh roads are fantastic riding. Enjoy

I’ve stayed (camped)……

Loop ideas from Bala:

Down to Aberystwyth, then Devils Bridge and take the mountain road to Elan Valley then return straight up the middle

NW up the left hand side of Snowdonia, option to go to Anglesey, back down the middle past Snowdon

Day loop through the middle of Snowdonia staying on the little tracks (great fun, I’ll try and find my GPX files for it)

SE to Lake Vyrnwy then pick mountain passes towards Newtown (I use this route to head back towards Cheltenham direction but you can loop back up to Bala easily)

Welsh roads are fantastic riding. Enjoy

If you can find your GPX files, great.

When I retire in July, I plan on doing more camping than I have in the past.

Back
Top Bottom