Wales; anyone recommend a good base for trips?

Bala is a great place to base for day rides. It has round trip routes in pretty much all directions, so with it being wet Wales, gives you a bit of flexibility to avoid the rain.

Can’t recommend any hotels to stay in, as it is just on my door step. But i have been in several of the pubs and restraints, and not found a bad one.

another good place, Neuadd Arms in Llanwrtyd Wells, which has it's own microbrewery

Took Wessies advice in the end, thanks for all the feedback guys, Llanwrtyd Wells has three pubs and the micro brewery swung it….
Also central to some good routes, is the devils staircase as bad as it sounds? One of the team is 70!

Took Wessies advice in the end, thanks for all the feedback guys, Llanwrtyd Wells has three pubs and the micro brewery swung it….
Also central to some good routes, is the devils staircase as bad as it sounds? One of the team is 70!

I do it every year and I'm 73.

As always great advice on threads like this. I was in Wales 2 years ago and based in Brecon.... lovely it was too ... but looks like I shall have to return and do some of these suggested routes :)

As always great advice on threads like this. I was in Wales 2 years ago and based in Brecon.... lovely it was too ... but looks like I shall have to return and do some of these suggested routes :)

And two years ago you stayed where?……..

What a fantastic week we had, roads were brilliant, based out of a cottage in Llanwrtwd on the same road as the devils staircase, thoroughly recommend the area for a riding holiday, not that many places of interest ( ie, not many castles etc locally) plus the local councils don’t seem to welcome bikes in their car parks, same price as a car and every bike to have a ticket, although one car park attendant let us park for free whilst we had a drink. Llanwrtwd Wells has three pubs and the locals were all friendly, the lack of pot holes were noticeable, if the Welsh can do it why not the English? Favourite bits? Elan Vally, Devils Bridge, road back along Devils Staircase, Sennybridge military road, A4069 across the Black Mountains, we just needed more time….

I forgot to add, thanks for the tips and suggested routes guys, much appreciated

Last edited:
Stayed here this week. Highly Recommend.
Secure motorcycle storage snd ideal for Devils Staircase and Brecon.
Fantastic reviews on booking.com.
Best time is in the week.

Back
Top Bottom