Anything to look for?

Disaster Area

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm going to look at a 2008 GSA tomorrow.

It's down as having down about 40,000 km.

Is there anything specific I should be looking for in terms of gremlins and red flags?

Thanks in advance.

Usual: corrosion, rear drive bearings.

Check oil leak from the front engine cover. Mine has it (for the last 50k miles at least) due to corrosion. No biggie though.

ABS Light if it has ABS

If it does not go out when you ride it? That is an indication that the brushes are stuck back in the holders and not making contact You can replace the motor assembly with a Fiesta Mk9 abs pump motor Note Motor only not the whole pump

I suspect corrosion is not as much of a problem down your way?

Fork Lowers and front cover are usually rough from salt way up here

Short notice I know, but if you have a diagnositc tool such as GS911 or can access one, well worth doing. 10 pin circular socket under riders seat.

Probably worth checking if the fuel level indication is working. The fuel level strips are notorious for failing. Not really an issue if you are happy to just use the trip meter, but might be worth considering when making your offer!

I had the rear drive bearing replaced on mine at 12k miles so it’s worth checking the rear wheel play. Also my esa shocks gave up the ghost at 18k so had a set of Wilbers fitted - check rebound damping and for leaks.

All the above plus a couple of other things. They had recalls for metal collars to be fitted on to the plastic tank fuel fittings, and another to change the rear wheel flange that holds the disc etc from alloy to steel. Easily checked with a magnet, the alloy ones could crack from the disc bolt holes to the outside.

Back
Top Bottom