Northern California new g/s owner

berndt

Reaction score
Maintenance machinist and long time bmw airhead guy. Just purchased an 84 r80 g/s that's been sitting outside here for the past twenty years. It began as a get run but quickly accelerated into a do over. Frame back from the powder coater, shock on the way back from ohlins, gearbox required a bit of love, rebuilding the final drive too.
Grew up in Oshkosh Wisconsin and moved to Sf from Milwaukee in 91 after being deployed in the first gulf War. Worked for Sandy Kosman for many years at Kosman racing in Sf, factory yamaha crew chief for Doug Henry in 04 in the first season of AMA supermoto. Keep coming back to old bmws as it is a pleasure for me to take them apart and put them back together. After I finish this g/s I have a r60/5 73 lwb Grenada red to put back together, then an 84 last edition CS100. Kind regards, Bill

Bill, Welcome!
Sounds like it took a few years, but that old Oshkosh/Fond du Lac winter weather finally caught up with you this year!

Guys would love photos of your bike, I'm certain. An '84 will bring back many stories, you can be sure!

Safe riding...

Hi Bill, welcome from North Wales. I remember Doug Henry from his motocross comeback days. So looking forward to seeing any photos of the rebuild. We all love a rebuild thread on the airhead section. Unfortunately I’m useless at that level and rely on Mikeyboy of this parish.
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Bill
A welcome addition to the household.
There are numerous interesting characters on here, and a few who know what they are talking about.
I suspect with your background you won`t have many questions during your renovations, but feel free to pop them up anyway.
Regards.

Thank you for all of your welcoming! I did my post apprenticeship at Kiekhaefer Aeromarine up on the hill in Fon Du Lac. I'm still friends with the daughter of the old Honda shop in Oshkosh.
Used to ice race outside the yacht club in the winters.

Back
Top Bottom