Twin spark coil stick

oneeleven

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I've just arrived in Cardiff for the night after travelling across from London this afternoon, on the way across via the M4 I noticed some hesitation when accelerating but it maintained motway speeds ok.

When I arrived at my destination I noticed a really bad burning smell coming from the right hand cylinder, upon inspection the coil stick on this side is really badly burnt and melted. I'm travelling back home some 320 miles tomorrow so I'm going to try and buy a coil stick from a local BMW Motorad dealer in the morning if the have stock.

My Question... if the Dealer doesn't have stock of a coil stick in the morning how rideable is the bike with the offending coil stick disconnected/removed? I noticed it still ticks over on both cylinders with the coil stick disconnected, obviously the secondary plug is going to be working over time.

Regards Paul

Clearly it won't be firing as cleanly as intended, but I can't see any reason not to run with it, just take it gently.

Some have tried alternative coils, so this old thread may help if Cardiff Motorrad can't provide.......... https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showt...k-coil-about-to-burst-!?p=3778322#post3778322

BTW. there is a good indy, Motoscot at Lanidloes in mid-Wales, but maybe a bit west of your natural route home if you are under time pressures.

I hope all goes well.

Thanks very for your response and the heads up on coil alternatives. I'll give it a road test in the morning... hopefully Cardiff Motorad have one in stock.

Regards Paul

Is it electrically burnt or from heat? If it's from heat, check the plug has not come loose and venting combustion gases through the head.

Are you travelling back to London? if you are, and you can't get a coil I could lend you one if you could make it to Paddington.

Hi, it's electrically burnt... seems it's a common issue?Thanks very much for the offer of a coil but I'm traveling back to Durham.

Regards Paul

Unplug the lead to the failed coil if you intend riding with it in place. I’ve seen bikes where they’ve caught fire and the connecting loom and plug have melted. BMW even sell a coil loom repair kit.

Ah thanks for the advice, that was my intention after reading a couple of your previous posts about these things taking out the wiring when the coils melt/catch fire.

Regards Paul

Just a quick update, unfortunately Cardiff Motorad didn't have a ignition coil in stock for my bike when I phoned first thing this morning. This left me with little choice but to ride the 320 mile journey home with the offending coil stick disconnected... I made the trip back to the Northeast no problem, from cold it ran quite lumpy but at operating temperature I was able to cruise at motorway speed quite comfortably. Thanks for your support.

Regards Paul

Love it when a plan comes together :okay

Took mine out recently to replace the plugs and although dry they were very corroded. The original coil sticks have now been superseded by ones with a stainless sleeve. I managed to get two good secondhand ones from James Sherlock for £39 each including P&P.

Took mine out recently to replace the plugs and although dry they were very corroded. The original coil sticks have now been superseded by ones with a stainless sleeve. I managed to get two good secondhand ones from James Sherlock for £39 each including P&P.

In addition to using the newer coil packs, I tend to cover them with high-temp grease (eg silcon grease) which vastly reduces the corrosive effect from of poor weather.

Try sparkplugs.co.uk and look for the champion version. It will come with a sticker on the end and under that it will say Beru which make the same one for BMW.

Baea385, but please check as mine was a R1150rt 2003 twin spark.

The BMW stick is just a rebranded one
Look for
ZS 385 BERU
They are around £67 on various sites
Good luck !

Might be worth pointing out... Beware you don't buy the 1200 model (they have four stick coils) lower secondary coils , they have a right angle on the connection to the spark plug and won't fit the 1150 model.

Back
Top Bottom