System Panniers - Global Lids ?

Neil W

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has fitted Global Lids to their system panniers and if so do they give a worthwhile increase in luggage capacity without making the bike too wide to filter through traffic ?

I know a number of you will say change to aluminium ones , but for the amount of time I use the panniers its not worth the expense and I like the look of the standard panniers better.

Neil W said:
Just wondering if anyone has fitted Global Lids to their system panniers and if so do they give a worthwhile increase in luggage capacity without making the bike too wide to filter through traffic ?

I know a number of you will say change to aluminium ones , but for the amount of time I use the panniers its not worth the expense and I like the look of the standard panniers better.

Global lids are great for extra capacity and don't make the bike much wider.
Suitable or a solo 2 week jaunt or if you add a topbox, more than enough for a 2-up trip.......

Like you, I prefer no panniers most of time and only use panniers when overnighting. Used Global lids for 2 years and very pleased with them

Here's my GSA with them fitted on the Stelvio

Attachments

• IMG_1535_WEB.jpg
    IMG_1535_WEB.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 862
Neil,

I put the global lids on last year, and the answer is yes they do make a worthwhile difference - to give you an idea, the left hand pannier capacity becomes about the same as a standard full size right hand one, whilst the right hand one becomes more useful as well.

I didn't find that they made too much difference to filtering abilities, which was tested a few times.

I tried to get some secondhand, but they are like gold dust, so in the end had to bite the bullet and got a pair of new lids from Motorworks

Iain L

I also have the lids increase the capacity by 6 litres and they're an easy swap with the other ones if you go on a solo trip for example. As said earlier, they make the biggest difference on the exhaust side as it increases the capacity by about 25%.

Filtering in straight lines is no different, I've only been caught out trying go around cars / vans etc and that was only the once.

I got a pair of the site, well worth fitting :thumb

Great picture Johnny :thumb parked my bike in exactly the same spot, when I was there in July :D can’t wait to go again :D

Thanks for all the prompt replies looks like a hit on the old visa card again . At least motorworks will benefit !

John Armstrong said:
I also have the lids increase the capacity by 6 litres and they're an easy swap with the other ones if you go on a solo trip for example. As said earlier, they make the biggest difference on the exhaust side as it increases the capacity by about 25%.

Filtering in straight lines is no different, I've only been caught out trying go around cars / vans etc and that was only the once.

So did you bolt them onto the hinges, or did you re-rivet?

What do you get in the kit besides the lid (badges etc????).

Is it 6ltrs per side or in total?

Cheers

Mike R

Drill the 4 rivets out on the lids and replace with nuts and bolts supplied. Hardest bit is the drilling out due to slightly problematical access.

6 litres per side :cool:

Usually have to buy the corporate badge and a "touring" or reflective badge per side.

Mike,
I looked at bolting them on, but when on I decided I wouldn’t be using the standard lid any more, so riveted them. :D

After lids and badges, you have to buy new hinges and fixing kit, but you won't need it if just swapping and riveting.

Great picture JB. I hope to be there in late July/early August. Would like to tap your brains before then about the area.

Best wishes

Mike R

MIKE R said:
Great picture JB. I hope to be there in late July/early August. Would like to tap your brains before then about the area.

Best wishes

Mike R
Thanks.........
No probs Mike, pop in or we can meet up locally.
Send me a PM and I'll get in touch

Would a crash helmet fit into the system panniers with or without the Global lids?
Are there different system panniers to fit different R series bikes or do the same panniers fit the whole range.
I would wike to get a pair but dont particually want to buy new so any info would be usefull
Thanks

1100 / 1150 GS / 1100R / 1150R definitely fit each other. The others have a lower exhaust and have bigger carcasses and so a bigger capacity. I have seen exhaust lowering kits, so the above 11xx GS & R could then have the big carcasses (I assume). I'd think the big lids will fit either style of carcass.

Never bothered trying to fit a lid into the globalised panniers, but I'd guess you'd get one in the right hand one without trying too hard.

rideaday said:
Would a crash helmet fit into the system panniers with or without the Global lids?

A helmet will fit into either pannier with global lids, only the one with standard lids :thumb

Have you considered fitting full size pannier on near side? I used kit from Motorworks for lowering exhaust. (Ten minutes work to return to original exhaust configuration) They even supplied the RT pannier inner part which takes your existing lid.

Neil W said:

global lids

Hi there
How do global lids compare in size standard system lids.........a photo would be nice
Thanks Hovis

Back
Top Bottom