Region 1 Route

Cheers Whatton :thumb
How did you get the picture? I use Macs so I'm a Mapsource (and PC :rolleyes: ) newbie.
:beerjug:
Andy

bakerlonglegs said:
Cheers Whatton :thumb
How did you get the picture? I use Macs so I'm a Mapsource (and PC :rolleyes: ) newbie.
Andy

I opened the file you attached in Mapsource then took a screenshot of the route :)

I use Gadwin Print Screen , it's good free software :thumb

Updated Region 1 route

Hello folks,
(Very) last minute decision today - decided to try out the Region 1 route.
Apologies to those of you who would have liked to come along, but there will be a second trial run with Duchess. (In fact, halfway round I had second thoughts myself - it was f'ing cold first thing this morning!).

I kept to speed limits+10%, using the GPS rather than the optimistic BMW speedo for accurate numbers. I did the run as per the posted Mapsource file and ....... its ....... a ........ very ....... long ...... ride!! Although the route looks mostly A-roads, there's a lot of 30 and 40 limits in there, plus long stretches of 50. This dragged the average speed down to 43 and it took over 4 1/2 hours moving time to ride the route. Add an hour for fuel and tea stops and my original estimate is about an hour out. :eek: Oops! (This was also on a Sunday, when the roads were fairly quiet and overtaking was easy.) Add this onto the distance each of us has to ride just to reach the start in Kings Lynn and get home from the finish at Thurrock, and it makes for a very long day!

I'm also concerned about threading the group through Colchester. Some of you know Colchester very well, but it's a bit of a traffic nightmare and it would be all too easy to split the group up, especially on a weekday afternoon during term time.

With this in mind, I've tweaked the route towards the end, to make it slightly quicker and easier to follow (particularly at the end when brains are tired!).

Route starts outside McDonalds near the A47/A10 roundabout near Kings Lynn. Note: The McD's is not actually on the roundabout—head towards KL for 1/4 mile, it's easily visible from the road on the left, next to the Campbells factory which looks like this:

campbell_start.jpg

From the A10/A47 roundabout, follow signs for A149 (A148) to Fakenham and onto Cromer. Too soon to stop for tea, but the view is nice!

cromer_beach.jpg

From Cromer follow signs A149 Great Yarmouth.
From Great Yarmouth follow signs for A12 Lowestoft.
(Stop for tea in either Gt. Yarmouth or Lowestoft)
Stay with A12 and follow signs for Ipswich.
Turn right onto A14 over Orwell Bridge to Copdock services for more tea and fuel if needed.
Then join A12 signed London/Colchester.
Follow A12 all the way to Chelmsford, then join A130.
Follow A130 onto the A13 which will then take us direct to Thurrock Services

thurrock_services.jpg

JOB DONE

Basically, I've cut out the A137 bit via Manningtree, the centre of Colchester and the twiddly B-road bit from Colchester through Maldon. I agree those bits are very nice, ideal for a Sunday blast, but I'm trying to balance that against time and fatigue!

I'll post a Mapsource file tomorrow (Monday) but if anyone violently disagrees with this change, could they let me know?

Right, my fingers hurt, I need a beer..... :beer:

Andy

Hi ,
I thought I put something on here saying I would like to help but it seems to have dissapeared.
Still available.
John

Re route

G'day Andy, personally no probs with route changes (apart from taking out the twidly bits, which I realy enjoy!) as I realise you are doing the balancing act, but just a couple of thoughts re promotion and sponsorship (after all raising money and charity's profile is what it's all about), local news paper interest, mabey these would be hightened by going through Colchester it's self, I know the town well, perhaps we could disscuss the plan of action, and if I can offer any more help ya more than welcome, due to personal responsability's I can't guarentee when I'm available weeks ahead, but I'm often available at short notice, ie on the day, and I get quite a bit of spare time mid week too help with, well anything, kind regards Dusan 07811302487 :thumb

Absolutely Dusan - good suggestion! If there is a bit of really good PR to be had by riding into Colchester then we'll re-think the route. The same also applies to Kings Lynn, Ipswich and Chelmsford which we are currently bypassing. However, we will need to make a decision about it very soon (5th March) to lock down the route and timings (hence my trial run yesterday).

We are preparing PR material at the moment ready to send out. As a local, do you have any suggestions for businesses, local newspapers, etc in Colchester to contact?

Cheers again for all offers of help!

Andy

Edit: There's nothing stopping us doing some PR stuff in Colchester before the event, to keep things slick on the day. Just a thought.

Mapsource file

As promised, here is the updated Mapsource file. Route now just under 200 miles, moving time approx. 4 hours (which seems about right after Sunday's try-out) so, allowing for tea breaks and fuel, about 5 hours total.

Attachments

• Region 1 route B.gdb
    85.7 KB · Views: 136
AS n Idea

Hi Andy,
Dont worry about us missing the ride out you were brave to go out anyway. :thumb
Just a thought, :) on the route for publicity in Colchester and, Chelmsford.as suggested by dusan
Route out of copdock to Colchester we can still come off at Colchester and head in for the town, when we get to the twin roundabouts at the bottom of the hill we turn right this is called rembrance ave, and follow until we return onto the A12( signed London), then by pass Wickford on the A12, for Chemsford and come off at the services junction for those that may need fuel? :mmmm we could then follow the old A12 route via Springfield from here it takes us to the Army and navy round about ( NOW CLOSED :eek: )at this roundabout we turn left onto the A130 for southend :cool: , under the A127 and on to canvey Island, turn right here A13( signed again for London) for Thurruck.
Its a duel carrageway all the way from Chelmsford this may help to pick up some time lost from lowerstoff to Ipswich which is mainly single
Hope this may Help :bow
:beerjug: I can now smell pancakes so bfn Bill :beer:

Me agin

Hi Andy n all, bit of a catch 22 situation, hard to organise promotion and sponsership, etc, with out details, hard to orgaise details with out details of firms/local newspapers/local radio/look east, about anglia/etc.. will think on ideas tonite and report 2morro, is the route date the 5th set in stone? and is it 'Final' Let's do the best we can, which will take time and brain power, ok on the 1st, second a bit more tricky! Kind regards Dusan B~) :thumb
PS Andy, have I got a contact number for you? :bow :nenau :bow

Hi folks,
Dusan - I know what you mean about Catch 22! We can't finalise PR material yet, because the dates for the event aren't locked down. We can't do THAT until the complete UK route and Region start/finish times are set, hence the target for each Region to submit their route by 5th March.

There is growing concern about how long the whole UK route may take (see here ). As I type this, the planning has only got as far as Fort William and we are already up to Friday morning. :eek: It's one of the reasons behind my last minute ride-out to check the route on Sunday. As per the edit on my earlier post, I'm well up for the idea of a bit of PR - I really appreciate your thoughts on this. :thumb However, to keep to time and link reliably with the next crew, we should do any PR stuff (photocalls, interviews, radio spots, etc) on a different day to the run itself. That way we'll have plenty of time to talk, publicise BCC and maximise exposure for the event, and we won't be dependent on journos for our time keeping. On that basis, I'd like to leave the route as per my update and work on the PR meetings for a separate day. I hope that strikes the best of both worlds!

Andy

up date

Hi all, just keeping my self upto date, if you are changing the start date, :nenau can you confirm it as I have to book these days off thanks bill :beerjug:

hiya
not sure whats happened to the route 9 guys but if they havent posted by wed I will post their route and mine (have pm'd to let them know) so you can get on with the rest of the route. Just so ya know route 9 and 10 will take about 21 hours?? together they are just under 820 miles
Laur :rolleyes:

Bill gser said:
Hi all, just keeping my self upto date, if you are changing the start date, :nenau can you confirm it as I have to book these days off thanks bill :beerjug:

Will do Bill - myself and many others are in the same boat! It's one of the reasons we need to firm up each region's route and timing by the 5th March. I'll keep you posted.
Andy

P.S. How were the pancakes? :D

bakerlonglegs said:
Will do Bill - myself and many others are in the same boat! It's one of the reasons we need to firm up each region's route and timing by the 5th March. I'll keep you posted.
Andy

P.S. How were the pancakes? :D

Pancakes, fantastic, :) a few to many I think. :bounce1 I have just read the forum re leg one start time and date and also for leg 2, thanks again. :beerjug: Bill

Will be joining you on route,,...great idea...great charity...gonna be a great day..

Regards

Gart

Gooner said:
Will be joining you on route,,...great idea...great charity...gonna be a great day..

Regards

Gart

:thumb Good stuff - be great to have you along!

Andy

Still here l/legs

Hi Andy, we never did talk about publizity? I'm still here offering any help that's needed, also I bought an auctioned (for BCC) BMW bar roll for £23 off Mike P, and would l would like to know best way to donate the dosh so it go'es in the pink way round pot of raised cash, someone mentioned gift aid, but I'm not sure how to do it so it go'es into the pot of cash raised by our intrepid pink lady's, any help on 'how to' appreciated, kindest regards Dusan :thumb

Back
Top Bottom