Achill Island 28th - 30th July 2006

ianran said:
Does the camping ned to be booked :nenau

Hi ianran,

There is no need to book the camping as we have the use of a whole football field next door to the hotel.

There will however be a charge of €15 to cover camping for the whole weekend. The money raised from the pitching fees will go directly to the local club who have allowed us to use their field.

Look forward to seeing you in Achill mate. :thumb

Good man Gerry :thumb

It should be a bit of craic & it'll be good to meet you. Lots of GS's in the Leinster area but its sometimes hard to get them out :(

:beerjug:

Booked the week off after as well, so we will be doing a bit of touring/camping round Ireland for the week :thumb :thumb :beer: :beer:

What is the best deal on ferries? We are coming from SE UK, so have plenty of options I guess.

Steve

Speggo, your best bet would probably be into Rosslare or maybe Cork if you have time beforehand. Plenty of roads to explore :D . If time is of the essence get into Dublin / Dunlaoire & blast across to Achill & then enjoy a bimble afterwards ;)

Pembroke to Rosslare - http://www.irishferries.com/ireland_britain_route.shtml

Swansea to Cork - https://online.swanseacorkferries.com/bokning/en/package.asp

The other alternatives are Holyhead or Liverpool to Dublin or Dunlaoire -

Irish Ferries (as first link)

P & O Irish Sea - http://www.poirishsea.com/passenger/Dublin_Liverpool.htm

Norse Merchant - http://www.norsemerchant.com/PASSENGER/routes_schedules/dublin-Birkenhead.asp

Stena Line - http://www.stenaline.ie/stena_line/gb/stena_line_ireland.html

The Dublin / Dunlaoire & Rosslare routes are all similarily priced. Norse Merchant are more expensive but its an overnight sailing with cabin & dinner :)

BIKE Mag often has offers on Stena (I think :confused: )

HTH :beerjug:

sounds great but!

Sounds brillant i would love to come but ,I have already booked to go on holiday that week.I will be in the area though as I am booked on a( cycling yes cycling) holiday in the connermara and mayo area and we are due to vist the Achill Island the day before the holiday ends :spitfire :beer: :beer: :beer: :bow

Oh go on then

Put me dhan ft tentin, i will have been there all week, ireland that is, so should be almost :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: t total by the weekend, i shall be arriving thursday if all goes to plan, will it be ok to camp on thurs?

What crossing are you lot from the South using, I fancy a change from the Hollyhead - Dublin one :)

Whatton said:
What crossing are you lot from the South using, I fancy a change from the Hollyhead - Dublin one :)

Being in the South I wasn't going to get a ferry - thought I'd try the road :D :D

Dublin to Achill is gonna take you a minimum of 4 hours :(
Rosslare is gonna add another 90 mins to that

Jaber - shouldn't be a problem camping from Thursday, but I'll check ;)

Shapeshifter said:
jockser......... any news if we can camp on the thursday?

Sorry m8 - I knew there was something I was meant to ask when we were over there :(

I'll make the call this morning & get back to you :thumb

Update on camping Thursday:

Despite several messages from the hotel to the local head man of the football club we have been unable to establish if there might be a match on the Thursday night. :(

The general consensus is 'no' but even if there is it would be over by 9PM.

Worst case scenario is that I'll have to find you somewhere else close by for Thursday night & you relocate on Friday :D

So, take it that you can camp there on Thursday & if that changes I'll let you know :bounce1

Update on hotel :

There are only 6 rooms left for Friday night & 5 for Saturday ;)

If you're still dithering - get the finger out before its too late :D

:beerjug: :beer: :beerjug: :beer: :beerjug:

ONLY 12 MORE WEEKS TO GO

:bounce1 :bounce1 :bounce1

The Spin from Westport to louisburg, through doo Lough Pass to Leenane is one of the best spins you will ever do on a GS. You can go back into the mountains then and drop down into Tourmakeady, where there is Máire Luke's bar overlooking lough Mask, and Paddy's bar almost in it! .... fabulous road, fabulous scenery, fabulous pubs, and it puts you back out on the main road between Ballinrobe and Castlebar/Westport .... treat yourself - i did it once and built a house down there afterwards!!

Gaz

Gaz_57 said:
The Spin from Westport to louisburg, through doo Lough Pass to Leenane is one of the best spins you will ever do on a GS. You can go back into the mountains then and drop down into Tourmakeady, where there is Máire Luke's bar overlooking lough Mask, and Paddy's bar almost in it! .... fabulous road, fabulous scenery, fabulous pubs, and it puts you back out on the main road between Ballinrobe and Castlebar/Westport .... treat yourself - i did it once and built a house down there afterwards!!

Gaz

Gaz - shush.... You're giving away all me secrets :D I was thinking of offering this, or Mulrany / Bangor / Beltra / Castlebar as a Friday run for anyone down early. Or if peeps aren't rushing away on the Sunday we could do one or the other ;)

Coincidently the Leenane / Tourmakeady road featured in this weeks 'Great Roads' series in the Irish Times Motoring section. Only problem now is that the car drivers will start clogging up the route :(

Oh, and now we know where to stay for free next time we're down that way :D :D

Sounds like a good excuse for a wee ride from the Montrose area, is it open to anyone? (on a GS of course!)
I would imagine leaving home Friday I could get there that day. Anyone know how far from the Cairnryan ferry (or any other ferry for that matter) it is, or how many hours riding?
Anyone else going from Scotland?
nj

Back
Top Bottom