ROUTE ANNOUNCEMENT

Duchess

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Thank you to all that have posted concerns regarding route changes plus forwarding various ideas/suggestions for consideration.

It has been decided that we will not be running 2 regional legs in tandem with one another (although a good idea this will only complicate matters further) and neither will the start date nor time be altered.

The route decision will lie with each Regional Co-ordinator.

You are all well aware of the challenge, the timings and the routes proposed plus the need to ensure that all actively involved in this challenge have ample opportunity to attend the East Midlands Regional weekend event to celebrate our success. It is important that I get as many of you back at the event as possible... reasons for this will be made clearer in the future.

You now have an escape route on offer should your timings drift or should it so be required.

Each Regional Co-ordinator will be responsible for the accurate recording of the route taken alongwith timings and mileage and communicate well in advance with the next region your estimated ETA. The start and finish points must remain the same.

Please note: All routes have to be accurately recorded, complete with accurate mileage covered and your timings must be spot on so sponsorship monies can be claimed - This is important.

So, its time we moved forward to the next stage of our plans and that is to market the challenge and focus on sponsorship funds for Breast Cancer Care.

Thank you all so much for your help. Please help me to make this challenge a complete success :thumb

Duchess :)

For reference I have taken the published 9am start on Tuesday 5th September and the "optimised" route times posted here http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showpost.php?p=600783&postcount=1

I have then applied VAT and a fixed 10 minute addition at each handover point and ended up with an approx finish time around 6.08pm on Friday 8th September.

As I understand it - if Duchess etc are happy with that finish time (which should hopefully give people enough time to get from the finish to the East Midlands event) this means that the regional co-ordinator can decide on whatever route they like as long as they get to the handover point by their region's "End Time". They just have to record exact route and mileage for future reference etc.

<TABLE ID="Table4" border="1">
<TR> <TD> 17.5% rest time/contingency </TD><TD> on each leg. </TD><TD> </TD><TD> Fixed 10 minutes at handover points </TD><TD> </TR>
<TR> <TD> Region </TD><TD> Travel Time allocated </TD><TD> Rest Time allocated </TD><TD> Start Time </TD><TD> End Time </TR>
<TR> <TD> Region 01 </TD><TD> 05:00 </TD><TD> 00:52 </TD><TD> 05/09/2006 09:00 </TD><TD> 05/09/2006 14:52 </TR>
<TR> <TD> Region 02 </TD><TD> 05:10 </TD><TD> 00:54 </TD><TD> 05/09/2006 15:02 </TD><TD> 05/09/2006 21:06 </TR>
<TR> <TD> Region 03 </TD><TD> 05:40 </TD><TD> 00:59 </TD><TD> 05/09/2006 21:16 </TD><TD> 06/09/2006 03:56 </TR>
<TR> <TD> Region 04 </TD><TD> 05:30 </TD><TD> 00:57 </TD><TD> 06/09/2006 04:06 </TD><TD> 06/09/2006 10:34 </TR>
<TR> <TD> Region 05 </TD><TD> 04:10 </TD><TD> 00:43 </TD><TD> 06/09/2006 10:44 </TD><TD> 06/09/2006 15:37 </TR>
<TR> <TD> Region 06 </TD><TD> 05:10 </TD><TD> 00:54 </TD><TD> 06/09/2006 15:47 </TD><TD> 06/09/2006 21:52 </TR>
<TR> <TD> Region 07 </TD><TD> 04:20 </TD><TD> 00:45 </TD><TD> 06/09/2006 22:02 </TD><TD> 07/09/2006 03:07 </TR>
<TR> <TD> Region 08 </TD><TD> 06:50 </TD><TD> 01:11 </TD><TD> 07/09/2006 03:17 </TD><TD> 07/09/2006 11:19 </TR>
<TR> <TD> Region 09 </TD><TD> 09:30 </TD><TD> 01:39 </TD><TD> 07/09/2006 11:29 </TD><TD> 07/09/2006 22:39 </TR>
<TR> <TD> Region 10 </TD><TD> 07:30 </TD><TD> 01:18 </TD><TD> 07/09/2006 22:49 </TD><TD> 08/09/2006 07:37 </TR>
<TR> <TD> Region 11 </TD><TD> 03:30 </TD><TD> 00:36 </TD><TD> 08/09/2006 07:47 </TD><TD> 08/09/2006 11:54 </TR>
<TR> <TD> Region 12 </TD><TD> 05:10 </TD><TD> 00:54 </TD><TD> 08/09/2006 12:04 </TD><TD> 08/09/2006 18:08 </TR>
<TR> <TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TR>
<TR> <TD> Total Hours </TD><TD> 67.5 </TD><TD> 11.8125 </TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TR>
</TABLE>

Clive said:
..........this means that the regional co-ordinator can decide on whatever route they like as long as they get to the handover point by their region's "End Time". They just have to record exact route and mileage for future reference etc.

Yep, that's my understanding of it Clive :thumb

The regional co-ordinator decides which route to take on the day after taking into account the time the team before arrive at the rendezvous point and the road conditions, weather and light levels etc.

Seems to be the sensible way to do it.

What is planned to happen if you know that your leg is going to be finished early?
For example youy finish 2 hours early does that mean the next leg starts early or are you hanging about for that time?
We all know that a lot of the legs will be like this purely for the fact that bikes can cover ground quickly.

Egon said:
What is planned to happen if you know that your leg is going to be finished early?

It would be wise to call the co-ordinator of the next leg and warn them :thumb

Whatton said:
It would be wise to call the co-ordinator of the next leg and warn them :thumb

I'd also expect that there would be a knock-on effect throughout the remaining regions and so the actual start time from a hand over point would be communicated to a central co-ordinator who would recalculate the remaining "Start times" and publish them here.

Given Duchess' stated aim to get as many back to the EM event as possible, and to keep re-scheduling to a minimum on the day, I strongly recommend that each coordinator actually rides their preferred route before the event (if you've not already done so).
I've ridden the Route 1 plan, and I know that Clive's predicted 5:00 map time is a little pessimistic, but that's fine - I now have an idea of the time we have to play with.
Don't just rely on com-pooh-ters, get oot there and try it.
:beerjug:

That's just it. Even a 1 hour saving on each leg will mean reaching the finish in the morning rather than the predicted 6pm and will also give more of a safety margin for the night stretches in the highlands.

Well done Duchess et al

Well done Duchess and everyone who has helped with this little trip around the coast :clap :clap :clap :beerjug: :beerjug: :thumb

Now all we need to do is the important bit.

Can you speare us one of your pennies please sir? :bow

GIVE US YOUR MONEY! :clap :clap

Laur said:
Nope I read it all, there was no actual decision made in the thread, and it gave three versions of the timings. Also..... it gives us our milage..... then tells us to decide what our route is going to be? That does not actually make sense.

Also I understand everyones reasoning for getting it done quickly, but has anyone even thought that we are supposed to be raising money for something, and that publicity is a huge factor. Our 'rest' times I had thought about getting local newpapers etc to take pics, get info, write something. But with almost no rest time allowed that will be pretty much impossible.

with all due respect there is no way on this earth that we could complete the 'Around Britain' challenge on the day and pose for pictures in the local papers also. We don't have the time. Its a challenge.

The mileage is approx figures only alongwith Clives posting (which is extremely useful I hasten to add) to show approx times and encourage rest times.

You have between April and September to raise sponsorship monies for the charity and raise awareness in your area / region. We are feverishly working behind the scenes to market the challenge and all will be revealed very shortly.

We as a team have worked hard behind the scenes and continue to do so to make this an absolute success.

We as a team collectively made the decision to involve as many UKGSers in this challenge as possible, to give everybody a chance to air their constructive views on the proposed routes etc. Most of the comments received where in favour of leaving the existing routes alone so we offered an 'escape' route using motorways etc. should it so be required.

Everybody is completely aware of what we are trying to achieve.

All GS ladies have been asked to send pictures of themselves to UKGSer admin. plus some body text so marketing material can be prepared for all. All GS ladies have been asked to send details of local radio stations plus newspapers so most of the groundwork can be done for you all.

Our aim is to get as much publicity as possible for both you and your riders but we don't expect any collections to be made enroute nor do we expect anybody to be interviewed on the day of the challenge.

There will be another thread relating to the sponsorship collections, forms and payment details via Gift Aid posted shortly.

We are asking every Region to ride their route, get to know their route and look at possible escape route options. Preparation is the key to success here.

What more can we do for you ? ... open to all suggestions here, if you do have any further ideas please do contact me either here or via PM.

with all due respect there is no way on this earth that we could complete the 'Around Britain' challenge on the day and pose for pictures in the local papers also. We don't have the time. Its a challenge.

Erm......there is a way for that to happen as well......

If there are newspapers or any other press who want to take pics or speak to people on the actual event, why not have them meet at the changeover points??

For one thing there'll be more people there (two teams of riders over the period, plus some well-wishers etc maybe) and the group waiting to set off will have time to pose/talk before the incoming team arive , then the arriving group will have time once they've finished their stage.

It's obviously critical the event isn't slowed down by anything, but pics from the day would be good to have..particularly if 'the baton' or whatver it is you're planning to pass on is nice visually........an oversized pink ribbon or something that could be easily attached to the bikes??

Sorry, I'll shuddup now ;)

Fanum said:
Erm......there is a way for that to happen as well......

If there are newspapers or any other press who want to take pics or speak to people on the actual event, why not have them meet at the changeover points??

For one thing there'll be more people there (two teams of riders over the period, plus some well-wishers etc maybe) and the group waiting to set off will have time to pose/talk before the incoming team arive , then the arriving group will have time once they've finished their stage.

It's obviously critical the event isn't slowed down by anything, but pics from the day would be good to have..particularly if 'the baton' or whatver it is you're planning to pass on is nice visually........an oversized pink ribbon or something that could be easily attached to the bikes??

Sorry, I'll shuddup now ;)

Yep... post run at changeover is good if it works ok...... but dont let it interfere with the challenge, the changeover nor offer any more unnecassary delays.

ps. I like the idea of the oversized pink ribbon - I might run with that :D where did you get that idea from :D

... I'm calm now (deep breathes ....)... and relax.

Laur said:
Nope I read it all, there was no actual decision made in the thread, and it gave three versions of the timings. Also..... it gives us our milage..... then tells us to decide what our route is going to be? That does not actually make sense.

The only thing decided was the start time on Tuesday 5th Sept at 9.00

Duchess has also stated she would like to get as many of the route participants back to the EM event which starts on the evening of Friday 8th Sept.

Each region was asked to come up with it's own route mileage and time.

When all the region routes were added together it became obvious that because regions had stuck "too close" to the coast on small(er) roads taking a longer time the whole thing would "overrun" the weekend. So someone took roughly the regions routes and moved them to "faster" roads - even if this meant moving away from the coast a bit. This gave time and mileage values for each region and was published in a Mapsource file.

Because those routes didn't seem to take account of petrol/rest stops and handover stop time I decided to come up with 3 variations of proposed start/finish times for each region leg to give people a better idea of when their leg would actually run.

I decided that 6pm on the Friday would give enough time to get back to the EM event so I adjusted the percentage of "rest" time on each region and allowed a fixed 10 minutes at the handover points, until I got close to 6pm. This percentage ended up at 17.5% - these are the figues here http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showpost.php?p=605706&postcount=3

When regions were not happy about their route changes it was decided they
could change their route/mileage as long as they kept within their end time.

Although nobody has actually confirmed the times here http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showpost.php?p=605706&postcount=3 - nobody has "complained" about them so they seem to be what we are all going with.

HTH :)

We had a whole load of chat amongst the Region 1 crew regarding press/photo stops and interviews. Whilst I am not in favour of diverting and stopping mid-route, for the time reasons given by Duchess, PR opportunities at the hand-overs could be good. That way, if time is tight, the next team could get going leaving the previous crew to chat and answer questions.

Clive and Paul have done a cracking job looking at the complete timing plan, it was always going to be a contentious issue! I agree with Clive's discription of the current situation: a suggested timing plan exists, it is up to each regional coordinator to assess the route options available within their time slots. I know from riding the R1 route already that computer estimates can be anything up to an hour or more out over these distances, depending on traffic, day or night, weather, riding style, etc, etc. The coordinators need to get their route ridden and flag up any problems or time savings with respect to the current time slots.

(Clive - FWIW, I think Laur has raised one good point - if each region's route is genuinely up to the coordinators, showing mileage in your table is confusing. Can your post be modified to remove that column or start a new 'sticky' thread for future reference? :nenau )

bakerlonglegs said:
(Clive - FWIW, I think Laur has raised one good point - if each region's route is genuinely up to the coordinators, showing mileage in your table is confusing. Can your post be modified to remove that column or start a new 'sticky' thread for future reference? :nenau )

Fair point - modified version below. I'll PM Paul to change my original as I can't edit it. Original now changed (BHT)

<TABLE ID="Table4" border="1">
<TR> <TD> 17.5% rest time/contingency </TD><TD> on each leg. </TD><TD> </TD><TD> Fixed 10 minutes at handover points </TD><TD> </TR>
<TR> <TD> Region </TD><TD> Travel Time allocated </TD><TD> Rest Time allocated </TD><TD> Start Time </TD><TD> End Time </TR>
<TR> <TD> Region 01 </TD><TD> 05:00 </TD><TD> 00:52 </TD><TD> 05/09/2006 09:00 </TD><TD> 05/09/2006 14:52 </TR>
<TR> <TD> Region 02 </TD><TD> 05:10 </TD><TD> 00:54 </TD><TD> 05/09/2006 15:02 </TD><TD> 05/09/2006 21:06 </TR>
<TR> <TD> Region 03 </TD><TD> 05:40 </TD><TD> 00:59 </TD><TD> 05/09/2006 21:16 </TD><TD> 06/09/2006 03:56 </TR>
<TR> <TD> Region 04 </TD><TD> 05:30 </TD><TD> 00:57 </TD><TD> 06/09/2006 04:06 </TD><TD> 06/09/2006 10:34 </TR>
<TR> <TD> Region 05 </TD><TD> 04:10 </TD><TD> 00:43 </TD><TD> 06/09/2006 10:44 </TD><TD> 06/09/2006 15:37 </TR>
<TR> <TD> Region 06 </TD><TD> 05:10 </TD><TD> 00:54 </TD><TD> 06/09/2006 15:47 </TD><TD> 06/09/2006 21:52 </TR>
<TR> <TD> Region 07 </TD><TD> 04:20 </TD><TD> 00:45 </TD><TD> 06/09/2006 22:02 </TD><TD> 07/09/2006 03:07 </TR>
<TR> <TD> Region 08 </TD><TD> 06:50 </TD><TD> 01:11 </TD><TD> 07/09/2006 03:17 </TD><TD> 07/09/2006 11:19 </TR>
<TR> <TD> Region 09 </TD><TD> 09:30 </TD><TD> 01:39 </TD><TD> 07/09/2006 11:29 </TD><TD> 07/09/2006 22:39 </TR>
<TR> <TD> Region 10 </TD><TD> 07:30 </TD><TD> 01:18 </TD><TD> 07/09/2006 22:49 </TD><TD> 08/09/2006 07:37 </TR>
<TR> <TD> Region 11 </TD><TD> 03:30 </TD><TD> 00:36 </TD><TD> 08/09/2006 07:47 </TD><TD> 08/09/2006 11:54 </TR>
<TR> <TD> Region 12 </TD><TD> 05:10 </TD><TD> 00:54 </TD><TD> 08/09/2006 12:04 </TD><TD> 08/09/2006 18:08 </TR>
<TR> <TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TR>
<TR> <TD> Total Hours </TD><TD> 67.5 </TD><TD> 11.8125 </TD><TD> </TD><TD> </TR>
</TABLE>

To whom it may concern (a bit formal I know but......)

I have only just got involved with this project (very green around the edges and you might have to bear with me).I just wondered if I can be of assistance, I have nottced that the start and finish of this sponsored run is at Kings Lynn--unluckily this is my home town and have lots of contacts etc (albeit I'm now living in Leeds) and my Mother still lives close by.

Some areas that I may be able to help include:

Accomodation
Advertising
Papers and Media
Restaurants and food--pubs
Contacts at the hospital (maybe photo opportunity with some nurses)
Potential Sponsorships etc etc

If I can be off any help please let me know as I don't mind being used and abused for a good cause.

Regards

Garfield... thank you. Its always good to have someone who has some good regional knowledge and your help with contacts etc. will be very much appreciated.

We will be in touch with you soon.

Thanks everso

:)

Back
Top Bottom