Garmin Waypoint Files

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dont suppose theres any chance of French supermarkets like Super U is there ? :D

You might already have discovered this , but if you search existing CN maps for fuel, the results include supermarkets such as Super-U, Intermarche, Leclerc etc if they also have fuel stations on site, so there are loads included in the maps you already have in your gps unit.

You could also try here (there are pages and pages of France POI's)

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/default.asp?CAT_ID=15

I'm not sure if there are many supermarkets, but personally I like the Donner Kebab shop file, there are over 217 of them :)

Anyone have a European Ducati dealer POI file? Doing an Alpine tour with a mate on a 996.

Over 19,000 campsites in Europe

camping.jpg

Garmin GDB file; This loads relatively quickly into Mapsource for checking out the huge number of sites, a GPX file would take ages to load. Save from Mapsource as a GPX and import the lot to your Garmin using POI Loader.

For some reason my version of MapSource crashes when trying to save this as GPX, tried on 2 separate computers just now. I'm off to Spain on Wednesday and have just found out the custom camping POIs I thought I had on my Zumo 550 are no longer there. :blast

Any advice (or a GPX file) much appreciated!

M.

For some reason my version of MapSource crashes when trying to save this as GPX

Please ignore this. I thought I had the latest version of MapSource before trying this as I just updated the maps on my Zumo with a freshly downloaded lifetime subscription, but it seems that the executable which was bundled was stale. Upgrading to 6.12.2 (from 6.15.11!) fixed the erorr I was getting and has allowed me to save a GPX file. Now to see if POI Loader can digest 8.8 meg. :)

M.

Over 19,000 campsites in Europe

camping.jpg

Garmin GDB file; This loads relatively quickly into Mapsource for checking out the huge number of sites, a GPX file would take ages to load. Save from Mapsource as a GPX and import the lot to your Garmin using POI Loader.

How :confused:

Assume you're asking about loading this onto your Garmin GPS :nenau

POILoader will only work with later Garmins, those running NT mapping. That's StreetPilot 2720, 2820, Nuvis and Zumos basically.

Instructions and download for POILoader are here.

Put all your POI files, into a folder or even better a hierarchical set of directories, this will structure them into categories in your GPS menus. A screen grab of mine is shown below to give you an idea.

poi-repository.gif

Once installed connect your GPS to your PC and start POILoader. It should first find your connected Garmin and thenl ask you to give a directory in which your POIs are stored, in my case I select the top level of the above tree. You also have, ISTR, options to define speed/distance. These are relevant if your loading speed camera data. Then click the start/upload button. The transfer process can take a while depending on how many POIs you have.

The uploaded POIs should then be available from 'Where To' > 'Extras' > 'Custom POIs' in the menu on your GPS.

To save the GDB file as a GPX simply load into Mapsource, with 19,000+ points it'll take a while to load. The, in the File menu, select 'Save As' and in the resulting dialogue there's a 'Save As type' option, GPX is the bottom one.

HTH

Assume you're asking about loading this onto your Garmin GPS :nenau

POILoader will only work with later Garmins, those running NT mapping. That's StreetPilot 2720, 2820, Nuvis and Zumos basically.

Instructions and download for POILoader are here.

Put all your POI files, into a folder or even better a hierarchical set of directories, this will structure them into categories in your GPS menus. A screen grab of mine is shown below to give you an idea.

poi-repository.gif

Once installed connect your GPS to your PC and start POILoader. It should first find your connected Garmin and thenl ask you to give a directory in which your POIs are stored, in my case I select the top level of the above tree. You also have, ISTR, options to define speed/distance. These are relevant if your loading speed camera data. Then click the start/upload button. The transfer process can take a while depending on how many POIs you have.

The uploaded POIs should then be available from 'Where To' > 'Extras' > 'Custom POIs' in the menu on your GPS.

To save the GDB file as a GPX simply load into Mapsource, with 19,000+ points it'll take a while to load. The, in the File menu, select 'Save As' and in the resulting dialogue there's a 'Save As type' option, GPX is the bottom one.

HTH

Thank you for taking the time to explain that. I did have multiple problems, all leading to installing POI's. Have now worked it all out. What a palaver !!!!
Cheers again.
Nigel:thumb2

Another thing - When plotting routes for your camping trip in Mapsource, open two instances, one for your route and another for the campsites. You might want to delete those POIs for the countries/areas you're not travelling in and then save the file under a different name, campsites-france.gdb for example. The, using the select tool (arrow) draw out the area you intend to camp, copy an paste this into your planning instance of Mapsource, repeat this for every area you're camping in. you can then plot routes directly to the campsites of your choice. I did this last year for a French tour and it worked a treat delivering us to the gate in the majority cases.

Scamera warnings UK vs. Europe - If you use Pocket GPS World scamera warnings there's an issue with using the European ones as I have, combined with the UK ones. They're calibrated in kph and UK in mph, you have to select one when uploading. As a result, when on the continent, the speeds are wrong. Pinging far too late ISTR. I had to convert all the poi names (the speed is part of the listing for each location within the POI file) from kph to mph. I suppose I could have changed my GPS to read kilometres but I feel more comfortable with miles, especially when looking at distance to destination.

The conversion was simple enough given a search and replace for the speeds concerned. Notepad++ can do this across directories rather than on single files, much quicker.

I wish I knew what the hell you were saying cos that camp site info would be bleeding handy this year! :blast Oh well. :(

Another thing - When plotting routes for your camping trip in Mapsource, open two instances, one for your route and another for the campsites. You might want to delete those POIs for the countries/areas you're not travelling in and then save the file under a different name, campsites-france.gdb for example. The, using the select tool (arrow) draw out the area you intend to camp, copy an paste this into your planning instance of Mapsource, repeat this for every area you're camping in. you can then plot routes directly to the campsites of your choice. I did this last year for a French tour and it worked a treat delivering us to the gate in the majority cases.

Scamera warnings UK vs. Europe - If you use Pocket GPS World scamera warnings there's an issue with using the European ones as I have, combined with the UK ones. They're calibrated in kph and UK in mph, you have to select one when uploading. As a result, when on the continent, the speeds are wrong. Pinging far too late ISTR. I had to convert all the poi names (the speed is part of the listing for each location within the POI file) from kph to mph. I suppose I could have changed my GPS to read kilometres but I feel more comfortable with miles, especially when looking at distance to destination.

The conversion was simple enough given a search and replace for the speeds concerned. Notepad++ can do this across directories rather than on single files, much quicker.

Cheers Bumpkin:thumb2

I wish I knew what the hell you were saying cos that camp site info would be bleeding handy this year! :blast Oh well. :(

Udders, ive had sat navs for over 15 years. Ive never bothered with POI's. But after i worked it all out today, it is worth it. Get on with it :D
:thumb2

buuuuuuuuuuuuuuump

scottish youth hostels please if you read this please

:bow

Damn! Gone through all 18 screens looking for Ypres waypoints and couldn't see a file attached.

Anyone know where it is?

Ride into Ypres and turn left at the roundabout with the Tap in the centre of it then the campsites on the left as you go up the hill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom