Region 9 Recce Thread

G.C.

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Saturday May 13th.
We should be leaving the start point at 10:00am. If you can be there 1/2 an hour earlier,then the coffee and bacon buttys are on me. :thumb
Our route, I make it about 450 miles :cool:
attachment.php

We also plan to take in Dunnet Head, as this is the most northerly point in the UK.
(Wicker/Sethmopp, how many miles, how much time for Dunnet Head ?)
We have a start time and a finish time, the rest is up to us. That’s the idea of this Recce, how long things shall take, where can we buy fuel, stop for a meal etc. Its also an opportunity for the participants to get to meet each other before the event. The times shall not be accurate. I plan on doing the final route at least twice more to get a firm idea before the 7th September.
Riders so far
G.C. Cookson. Stumpy. Ronno. MartP Columbus ? Laur Oonyack Mrs Oonyack

Grahame, you’re input has been helpful, thanks can you make the recce or even a part of it ?

If I have missed anyone, don’t be shy, shout out and add you’re name.
Sláinte ;)
G C

Gordon we will meet you at Achnasheen turn off at Ardelve for the recce
not going to Fort Bill just to come back up even for your bacon butties but will in Sept probably book a b&b so fresh for the day
445miles 10 hrs break 2 hrs so 8hrs riding that averages the speed to 55.63mph thats quite quick on these roads that needs to be considered for the missus who's not a racer, but thats what the recce is all about to find this out. I'm looking forward to it.
Mate who bought my gs12 I will try and get him involved too. but he hasn't ridin in years and needs some practice under his belt should be ok by Sept
:thumb
johnny

Last edited:
G.C.

I think we should set out earlier than 10am, given that it's a 10 to 12 hour ride, plus we've got to get back to Fort William from Inverness, it's going to make it quite a late finish, especially if we have any delay's.

My 2p.

;)

Dunnet Head. From Thurso take the main A836 sign posted John OGroats towards Castletown, then 2 miles onto the next village called Dunnet you turn right following signs for village of Brough. Follow single track road to Dunnet lighthouse whic is about 6 miles off A836.

Just as you cross the cattle grid into the lighthouse there is a side road to your right which takes you 1/4 mile to a viewpoint. On clear day you can see the whole North coast to Cape Wrath. On a poor day the wind will blow you off your feet.

Should take less than an hour for travel, photos and return to your route.

Enjoy!

Oonyack,

We run a B&B in Invermoriston, about 30/40 mins north of Fort Bill. We are already full that night night, but we do have a sofa bed you could use.

See you on the 13th for the recce. :thumb

Martin

Johnny, picking us up at the turn off makes sense. :thumb

We actually have just over 11 hrs allocated for our leg, so that should leave 9 hrs to ride and take the average speed to below 50. But you are right, that’s what the recce is for.

Cookson, good point. I was thinking of anyone that was planning travelling to Fort Bill on the day, but perhaps they should make their way here the night before or meet us on route as Johnny is.

Wicker thanks for the directions. We`ll certainly ride it on the recce then decide on our final route. Time permitting I think we should include Dunnet Head.

What about 8:30 at the Lochy then ? That should have us ready to leave with the Oonyacks for 10: am
Cheers
G C

Anyone camping on the friday night? Plan to stay at the Glen nevis campsite if all goes well.

What are the plans for food on saturday are we stopping or is it eat on the move?

Hi Gordon

I can't make the recce as I am away on the Sleepers trip. Still up for the main event.

Have agood one

Stumpy

Glen Nevis camp site will be fine for you, no midgies here yet, its wee bit early in the year for them. ;)
Lochy camp site is a few miles closer to the pub and offers good facilities, perhaps one to try in the future.
Food on the Saturday, is open for discussion, I have no firm plans, that’s what this Recce is all about.
Stumpy, have a good weekend. :thumb
I think it would be a good idea to meet up on the Friday evening. Cookson is staying in the Nevis Bank Hotel, its located just at the mini roundabout at the entrance to Glen Nevis. Perhaps we could meet there for a pint on Friday night, say 8pm. My mobile is 0771 891 6981.
Oonyack, where are you hiding ? give me a bell, will ya :thumb
Cheers
Gordon

Grahame said:
how did the recce go???

Erm, its tomorrow ! ;)

Cookson arrived last night, I managed a quick pint with Cookson and we plan a wee run this afternoon, probably head out the A830 to Mallaig for a fish supper.
Ronno and Colunbus are arriving this afternoon / evening and the plan is to meet over a beer in the Nevis Bank Hotel and have a chat about tomorrow.
5 of us will be leaving from the Lochy at 8:30 tomorrow (coffee will be on from 8 :thumb ) and meeting up with Oonyack by 10 am.
Mart-p, where do you plan meeting up with us ? Are you just going to head up to Skye and meet us with Oonyack at Achnasheen turn off at Ardelve ? Let me know will ya.
Cheers
G C

G.C.

I think the best place would be at the junction of the A87 and the A887 on the road to Skye, I think the place is called Bun Loyne near Bunloinn Forest and Loch Loyne. I am guessing you would get there for just after 9am so I will aim to be there just before then.

Martin :thumb

Hi chaps

Just a quick note as you'll all be together this weekend and hopefully before you head out on the run you'll get to see this message.

if possible would you please take some pictures of you all together ... as soon as you have them pm me and I'll let you have the contact email address to forward on for pr material.

Have fun and hope it all goes well..... I'll watch for your results. :thumb

Best wishes

Karen :)

Just back :thumb
536 miles for me, round trip, cracking day, thanks to all :clap
Report will follow when I have had a chance to take it all in.
Glad the weather gods smiled on us, it was very exposed oop high.
What a day though, cookson on the phone demanding that I clean my visor ;) :beer:
Duchess, others have more pics that I took, but this one is fron Thurso looking out to Dunnet Head, the most Northery point of the UK mainland.
Again, thanks all.
69354715-L.jpg

G C

Wunderbar

What a brilliant day out. Fantastic weather, fantastic roads and great company. Sauturdays don't get much better. That's the first time I've had my bike further north than Fort William and Inverness. I've got to say that the roads up by Ullapool and the North West coast are as enjoyable as Alpine passes I've done. :D

Many thanks to G.C. for organising the Recce and big thumbs ups to Columbus and Oonyack for leading us on at a very healthy pace :thumb

Me and Columbus made great progress on the A9 home until my headlight bulb blew out :eek: The last 50 odd miles were interesting... :(

Looking forward to Gordon's Ride Out report :thumb

Here are some pix from today...

69379571-L.jpg

69379602-L.jpg

69379585-L.jpg

69381825-L.jpg

69379578-L.jpg

69381842-L.jpg

69381836-L.jpg

Brilliant day oot :thumb
did you get yir Chinese meal Ronno? (politicaly correct)
bet the blown bulb didnae keep ye away fae yir Chow mien for long

The photie o the coo keekin over the hill (or wiz it Ronno) and G.C keekin over the wall, what do they have in common

Both been full of bull :dabone

Thanks to all for a the great day out and the craik

605 miles had to go to via Uig on the way home to break the 590 barrier
better just over 600 than under
Tash wants to go a run today anyone got a rubber ring :eek

Pace was fast but we had a lot of blether breaks should we try and squeeze another couple of hours riding time for Tash as we had perfect weather conditions as wind and rain on the day could scupper us. I would be greatful for more time as she is a new biker just out the box. Not knocking her in anyway just erring on the side of caution :bow

Big thanks to Scourie hotel for supplying sandwich's and teas. :thumb

Back
Top Bottom