Steptoes Moroccan Dash - A Ride Report

A few selections from the hundreds of photos -

Goats heads for Tea

In Marrakesh, eating in the market place.
Novice, Forry and Wapping

Fanum,Whatton and Steptoe

Dave/Special uncle Dave/ Alan/Taz/ Paul/Blowzorn and Novice

Wonder if the Hotel knows who's responsible ?

Part of the amazing road that goes on and on and on :D :thumb

The power of the "Tic-tac"

Berber omlette and chips :thumb

Whatton said:
James your my hero and I want to have your babies. Have you cleaned your bike yet, I seem to remember you were going to dip it in a vat of Autoglym when you got home :thumb

The bike is soaking in Auto Glym Bike Cleaner , for the third time :mmmm

The suit is in the washer and my helmet :ymca is drying :eek:

I've done more miles in 10 days than i did in 7 yrs with a Triumph T509 :tosser

Oh and Spank is on the radiator , drying of :confused:

Attachments

• Helmet.jpg
    Helmet.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 728
Stunning scenery

Fanum, in his quest for water to cross

Along the Todra Gorge, at 6am it was deserted. Our hotel was only 2 minutes away, so we rode along before the crowds turned up. We'd also ridden along the previous evening, wearing shorts and shirts, with a full moon beaming down. Awesome ride

James and Kev in the hotel car park - imagine that view from your hotel room, £18 including breakfast and evening meal

The proud owner - I've the waypoint for the hotel if anyone is interested

Great pics :thumb and write ups Tossers :beerjug: Kev, that Suit-ed me better :D and Neil was it so cold in Morocco you neede yer Muffins. :ymca Well done the lot of you'se :bow :bow

Seemed like a good reason to drive a few hundred miles just for a picture

And talking of camping tossers, look who we bumped into at the chunnel terminal

Whatton

Fanum

James

Steptoe

Blowzorn

Forry

Cracking job!

Neil, hope the next germ reaches fruition around June 21st to July 15th :D

On our way back from the moroccan dash, a frenchman showed us a dodge used by bikes to get through the tolls, which i tried and it worked, unfortunatly after that, we only had one toll left to try it - Me and Forry sailed through no problem -

But i can't in any way condone this type of behaviour ;)

Ride Report

Just to say thank you to Whatton and Steptoe for a fantastic ride report and Photo's :thumb

Glad to hear that you all made it home safely, RESPECT to those who had never before undertaken such a venture. :beerjug:

K

I hope I never do it, but ....................if I don't know what not to do I might do it :nenau

Glad to hear you're all back ok, barstewards. :p

Superb Pics,Excellent thread Looked absolutely great.....Hope I get to do the same some day.

Nice one fellas :thumb

Macca

Fanbloodytastic

Thanks gentlemen, I thoroughly enjoyed that. You have of course now given me really itchy feet. I haven't been to Morrocco in ten years and that was backpacking.. :thumb

This question will probably get lost in here amongst the thankyou's and general banter but what were some of the costs of this trip eg ferry's, fuel in Morrocco, tolls on autoroutes etc etc.

Looks like you guys had a real blast down there. Just to 'ice your cake' Kev I can tell you I managed to wangle your Euro 50 back for not showing up at the Easter Rally in Belgium. A local mate of mine wanted to go so he gave me the enrollment fee and we just told them he was there instead of you - we drank it for you :beerjug:
Look what you missed :D .....it didn't rain much ...honest it didn't :eek:

Attachments

• P4160179.JPG
    P4160179.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 608
A truly great trip and top report Kev.

Many thanks to Steptoe (who’s germ of an idea kicked the whole thing off) and to each of the other intrepid Tossers who made the time away so much fun.

Since being back several colleagues have asked, “What was the best bit?”
It’s only now that I realise that, leaving aside the scenery, roads, smells, sunshine, rain, laughs, tiredness and excitement that went together to make the Mad Moroccan Dash, it was probably the people.

We were all drawn from various points of the compass, from different strands of life and motorcycling experience. From me (working in reinsurance in the City) to Forry (a muckle glazier in Berwick) to Whatton (and his petrol pumps in Nottingham)…..and all the rest…..lobbed together by chance via an internet website. That we all got on shows that (unless you want it to) it makes no great difference how much you earn, where you live, what you do or what you might think on any particular subject. You are lucky enough to ride a motorcycle and be a Tosser. That’s enough.

Cheers to all and here’s to the next one!

Richard (Wapping) Nash

MorooccoApril2006019.jpg

Rich C said:
This question will probably get lost in here amongst the thankyou's and general banter but what were some of the costs of this trip eg ferry's, fuel in Morrocco, tolls on autoroutes etc etc.

I haven't got an exact list, but a rough guess would be:

Eurotunnel £60 return

Ferry over about Euro 80

Fuel in Morocco, cheap and plentiful. Say between Euro 13 to 16 at each fill-up stop.

Tolls on Autoroute, vary between Euro 1.5 and perhaps 8. Say, 4 as an average. Maybe 10 tolls each way (20 in all) gives Euro 80.

Sharred rooms were reasonably cheap and got cheaper as we moved out of the big cities. Say max Euro 50 down to Euro 25.

Between us we didn't spend a fortune, nor did we stint when it came to some evening feasting and boozing. You could do it cheaper by taking perhaps four days longer an missing out the Autoroutes / block book hotels or spend an awful lot more looking for 5* accommodation. Lunches were in wayside cafes, no significant cost (other than to your bowells).

Wapping said:
I haven't got an exact list, but a rough guess would be:

Eurotunnel £60 return

Ferry over about Euro 80

Fuel in Morocco, cheap and plentiful. Say between Euro 13 to 16 at each fill-up stop.

Tolls on Autoroute, vary between Euro 1.5 and perhaps 8. Say, 4 as an average. Maybe 10 tolls each way (20 in all) gives Euro 80.

Sharred rooms were reasonably cheap and got cheaper as we moved out of the big cities. Say max Euro 50 down to Euro 25.

Between us we didn't spend a fortune, nor did we stint when it came to some evening feasting and boozing. You could do it cheaper by taking perhaps four days longer an missing out the Autoroutes / block book hotels or spend an awful lot more looking for 5* accommodation. Lunches were in wayside cafes, no significant cost (other than to your bowells).

Thanks for that. That's actually less than I had imagined. Cheap flea pits and formula 1's work for me as well. That leaves more to spend on :beer: which is always the way to go.

Hmmm..A tad conservative on those estimates Richard........

I know I booked late but I paid £142 for the tunnel......the ferry to Cueta was 89E return and it was always 20-35 euros for fuel each stop (for me anyway...I guess I've got a heavier wrist than you ;) )

It cost me a bit over 1100 all in.......plus a rear TKC that I'll have to get asap.

Well worth it though......in 6 months the money will be a forgotten but the experiences and memories will last forever :thumb

I'd like to try it on the cheap though.......you could easily bivvy down anywhere in Morocco, French and Spanish main roads are actually not much slower than the Peages (the most exensive of which was 23 euros IIRC) and food/water are dead cheap over there.........

Cruising at 60 rather than 90 would have proably have cut the petrol costs by a third as well.....we were rather caning it :D

100Dir for a night's entertainment was a muckle good deal though ;)

Back
Top Bottom