Salisbury plain....a warning....

Fanum

Toubab
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've been lurking and posting on a couple of landy forums recently, given my upcoming purchase of a 110 for Moroccan jaunts......

I've just come across this and thought it was worth posting as we do use the plains from time to time.....the odd mistake in the textis down to the fact that the text was scanned and the OCR software didn't recognise all the letters properly.

The following article is by Steve Stockley and appeared in Dorset Rover, the Club magazine for Dorset Land Rover & Range Rover Owners Club.

On Sunday 10 Nov 2002 as it was a nice sunny day and we had arranged to go green laning. Rob Godfray and 1 decided to go and see the awdc safari comp up on Salisbury plain and maybe after drive some byways, but as you do we changed our minds a bit later and decided just to explore the byways on Salisbury plain, and a jolly good time we had. We found some byways on the map that neither of us had driven before some we had driven once and lots we had driven many times.

We stopped now and then to check the map and then carried on. We saw other people out enjoying themselves and even saw a warden sitting in his Nissan patrol on the side of the track as we passed him it appeared that he was taking down our numbers but we did not take any notice as we thought that if we were doing anything wrong he would have stopped us, How wrong were we! We carried on and at about 4 o clock we decided to start heading back to the road to make our way home and decided to go via Rollestone camp. As we got to the road at Bustard inn we stopped to check and clean our lights because now it was dark and land rover lights need all the help they can get

Whilst we were saying our good byes and getting ready to set off a police car pull up. A policemen and a policewoman got out and the policeman came over to me and the policewoman went over to Rob, 1 said good evening to him and he asked me for my details 1 thought at this point WHAT HAVE 1 DONE! 1 duly gave him my details and confirmed as you do that 1 had not stolen my car then he said 'I have reason to believe that you have been driving your vehicle other than on a public right of way'. 1 said that to my knowledge we have stayed on the byways, he said that you have been seen by two people. 1 said were they in a red Frontera. He said we'll see. He then charged me and Rob and said that we would be reported. He then said that he would like us to wait for a couple of minutes for the witnesses to arrive we of course were keen to wait so we could see who needed glasses so we waited and waited and eventually who should show yes you guessed it a red Frontera but the occupants didn't come over to us they just parked down the road and the policeman went and spoke to them they then went back to their car and legged it. We were told that we had been identified as the vehicles seen and that we were free to go.

We thought that this is bound to come to nothing and went home. We were very surprised when on the 28t' Nov we received in the post a summons to Salisbury court on 11 Dec to answer charges... 15

That you, on Sunday 10 Nov did without lawful authority drive a certain motor vehicle... At grid ref 116 484 on the Salisbury plain military training area being land not forming part of a road. Contrary to section 34 of the road traffic act 1988 and the schedule 2 to the road traffic offenders act 1988.

l Was GOB SMACKED!! (So was my wife)

After a long chat with Rob and our wives we decided to plead by post The following is my reply (Robs was very similar.)

Dear Sirs

With regards to the charge of "driving other than on a road or track" 1 am pleading guilty to the charge because 1 was without doubt driving on Salisbury plain on Sunday afternoon 10 November 2002, however 1 am unable to say that 1

was exactly where the witnesses say 1 was because 1 do not have gps navigation equi . pment fitted in my car.

1 was to my limited map reading skills trying to stay on byways as

appears on OS 184 landranger map but 1 found it very difficult to read what is or is not an official byway when there are so many vehicle tracks going in all directions and the byways are not marked by any signs or posts. So it is left to the driver or navigator to best establish where you are and as to the possible direction you should or shouldn't proceed, As you know the Army use Salisbury plain to train in navigational skill as most of the area is very hard to navigate exactly where you are. As the witness says he saw myself and Mr Rob Godfray talking at one stage this would have been one of a great number of discussions that we would have had regarding the lawful direction in which to proceed. 1 would also like to point out that being 300 m away from a byway would only take approximately 1minute 10 seconds of driving at 10 mph.

When the police approached us 1 had actually stopped at thatjunction before joining the road to inspect and clean my lights before continuing my drive home. When the policeman said two witnesses had seen me driving "Off road" he did not say it was at Wrexford Hanging. 1 asked him was the witnesses in a red Vauxhall Frontera which 1 had seen on three occasions during the afternoon

in three different positions or was it the warden who we went past and had noticed that he was taking our reg numbers it was at this point that the police man said that he was waiting for the witnesses to arrive and identify our vehicles surely if the witnesses had our reg numbers and a description we should not have been held at this point waiting. During our wait the policeman said that the witnesses had been out shooting deer and this concerned me as to the direction

they were possibly shooting in.

1 would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused through my inability to navigate competently on Salisbury plain

On about the 17 Dec 1 received a letter from Clark of Salisbury court with a fine of £360.00 plus costs of £35.00 and giving me 14 days to pay. 1 am without doubt pxxxxd off with the attitude both from the Police and the courts for being so immoveable on such a trivial 300 meters in such a difficult terrain as Salisbury plain and if they think that that's another bloke who won't be coming back on to Salisbury plain they can think again 'cos Father Christmas brought me a hand held gps so that 1 can do just that. Only 1 will make sure that

1 . 1 will make sure that 1 stay on the correct tracks
2. 1 will stop and ask any wardens why are they taking down my reg
numbers.
3. 1 will say sorry when 1 accidentally run over any Red Fronteras 1 see.
4. 1 will not plead guilty but will attend court and fight.
5. And 1 will say sorry to my wife.
6. 1 will report to the police any army vehicle that 1 see driving off the tracks. Please read this as a warning as to the possible outcome to a pleasant day green laning with a friend.

1 must add that 1 do not and never have condoned the abuse of our countryside,
by anybody. Tread lightly

That's pretty ropey. On the few trips I've done the police and the wardens were very friendly with just one getting stropy when we'd "accidentally" missed a sign saying "keep off".

I was involved in a similar incident a few years back when i ran an off road day in North Wales.

One of the guys pleaded guilty by letter but I went to court and pleaded guilty, I also pleaded our case in a similar and grovelling way as the Landrover driver.
I/we were given an absolute discharge. Result :thumb

If you plead guilty by letter you 'WILL' be fined, you are just another anonomous offroader and will be tarred with the same brush as those who have no regard for this law despite the best efforts of your pen.

Shameful disgrace by police and authorities.
The fine is incredibly high given the circumstances.
Mud on the plates seem the best thing to do.

Trust Vern'

Vern said:
Plenty of mud on the number plate always works for me :nenau
Would expect nothing less vern' typical Worcester resident.................i got caught the other day mixing dust and dirt with water to hide the number plate, no fun when it's so dry :D

The article was 4 years ago -

When you go there,and speak to the wardens, they admit to not being 100% sure themselves where the legal byways are. I always know where i'm going, honest mister . :D

Steptoe said:
The article was 4 years ago -

When you go there,and speak to the wardens, they admit to not being 100% sure themselves where the legal byways are. I always know where i'm going, honest mister . :D
Some of the wooded sections don't look too much like your average byeways.

A couple of months ago I went sailing with my brother in law. He used to be in charge of Salisbury Plain and, in an idle moment, I asked him what the MOD view was of off-roading vehicles using the Plain. His view was it caused them quite a few problems; not least because getting assistance to those who have crashed can be a real issue.

I thought it might be useful if those who want to use the Plain knew the MOD view and he has just sent me the following from the Salisbury Plain HQ:

“If you are thinking about going over the military training area on
Salisbury Plain, consider the following:

a. It contravenes the Bylaws to go anywhere but on byways, so keep to byways.

b. You are in danger of being prosecuted by the MOD if you do not

c. Your bike could be impounded

d. There is considerable military activity these days, some of it includes live firing

e. Unexploded ordnance is widespread

f. Metal shrapnel splinters can ruin your tyres

g. The area is patrolled 24/7, incl by helicopter

h. No medical back-up is available

i. Mobile communications are very poor indeed

j. If you have an accident, it could take hours before you are found

k. Finally, make sure you have a decent map”

He also offered to organise a visit to the HQ. “I think it would be on the lines of explaining the difficulties faced by the MOD …….., the dangers faced by the bikers and how best to keep out of trouble. Probably a visit to the HQ to discuss followed by a trip out onto the area to see the hazards at close range.” Might lead to some interesting new routes ;) .

He implied the visit would be for an individual but I suppose it might be possible for a group. If anyone is interested, PM me.

BTW this has, of course, all been done on a no names basis!

I hope this is useful information.

Paul

ive seen the 4x4 lot on the plain alot :spitfire

those tw@s go where they like well away from the tracks !!!! deserve to have there vehicles impounded

If you're on the plain, you must be sure of where you're going.... If the wardens find you messing around off the byways, you're f@c^ed. Most of the wardens are friendly & quite approachable but there's certainly one I've come across that's a complete to$$er.

The long and the short of it is to make sure your map reading is up to scratch & you know where you are at all times. (Mind you, it's more than in your best interest with the unexploded ordinance around the place as well as some very heavy machinery driving around!!!!)

Mark.

PS - Y2blade... It works both ways. There's a lot of bikers riding like tw@ts too. :spitfire

PS - Y2blade... It works both ways. There's a lot of bikers riding like tw@ts too. :spitfire

Yeah, including those idiots on two stroke crossers last year during Steptoes big Plain rideout. The wardens and MOD plod were trying to catch them as they had ridden through closed off areas where fresh saplings were growing etc. with no regard.

The warden even gave us half an hour on the tank hills even though they are meant to be off-limits. I think if you behave responsibly and obey the rules you have little to worry about.

camel_landy said:

yeah fairenough mate :)

Pukmeister said:
Yeah, including those idiots on two stroke crossers last year during Steptoes big Plain rideout. The wardens and MOD plod were trying to catch them as they had ridden through closed off areas where fresh saplings were growing etc. with no regard.

The warden even gave us half an hour on the tank hills even though they are meant to be off-limits. I think if you behave responsibly and obey the rules you have little to worry about.

i was there with you guys :D on my blue DRZ400S :thumb

Like speeding really. There are rules, and if you break them there are consequences. Regardless of whether we agree to the rules or not.

Well, the most shocking thing about that article was the fact they saw a Frontera 'off road' :nenau

This is certaily not true, he really does need to clean his glasses. The only time you'll see a Frontera 'off road', is when it's up on a mechanic's ramp :D

dirtydog said:
Well, the most shocking thing about that article was the fact they saw a Frontera 'off road' :nenau

This is certaily not true, he really does need to clean his glasses. The only time you'll see a Frontera 'off road', is when it's up on a mechanic's ramp :D

or upside down in a drainage ditch :p

Back
Top Bottom