Adjusting rocker end float, and valve clearances

Torque

I wanted to do my valves at the weekend. Is the torque wrench totally necessary? I will happily buy one if it's a must,just the man in the motor factors said they where expensive (€100) and did I really need one.i think I do , but before I buy,i would appericate some advise. The one he showed me is about 2 ft long. Thanks

You don't need a big torque wrench for 20Nm - something like this will be fine, at about half the price.

You don't need a big torque wrench for 20Nm - something like this will be fine, at about half the price.

:thumb2

that's what i used. did the job well.

worth the effort, engine a lot quieter and better running now i've done the end float and valve clearances.

That looks perfect! I will put one on order. I spoke with a guy who has a black belt in BMW motorbikes.he reckons do it by feel.u can over torque chasing after a specified NM.. Better by hand.

Neil / Paul any chance the photographs can be reinstated in this thread for simple people like me please?

Neil / Paul any chance the photographs can be reinstated in this thread for simple people like me please?
Does the picture below help? Can't see why measuring at the bottom of the rocker will make any difference from measuring at the top?! But I'm braced and ready to be corrected!

uploadfromtaptalk1411383148104.jpg

Thanks Slipperyeel but no picture showing. Ideally I was looking for all the pics to be placed back in Steptoes original post if possible. As I remember, it was a great write up with very clear pictures.

Ah. Sorry it's not showing. For sure the write up is good. Used it myself! Maybe if you Google bmw r1150 rocker float you'll get the images you need. To be honest, once you get the valve covers off it'll all become clear

You come across this problem a lot with the "Stickies"

The reason is that when people post a thread with pictures, often the pictures are held separately on a site like Photo Bucket. If the Link gets broken, which happens if accounts are closed etc., then the pictures in the thread disappear.

What should happen (but doesn't), is when the thread becomes a "Stickie" the Moderator should copy the pictures and embed them in the thread, thus preserving the information permanently.

Ian:nenau

Here you go

Attachments

• P6110122.JPG
    P6110122.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 1,968
So does it really make a difference measuring at the bottom?

Many thanks for the photo Tim and others for the info/advice. Would still like to view complete article with all photos included as per Steptoes original thread if anyone can post. Thanks. Ian

Many thanks for the photo Tim and others for the info/advice. Would still like to view complete article with all photos included as per Steptoes original thread if anyone can post. Thanks. Ian

Don't know why all the pictures have disappeared ?? I'll dig out the old pictures and re-host them on tinypic.....

So I take it the bottom bracket has oval holes so that you can move it to take up the end float ? also would that not make the the tappet move over from the end the end of the valve stem ? :confused:

Done this on my 1150 today - the endfloat is a bit of a pain, as the clearance changes when you tighten the bolts ! I settled for all endfloat less than 0.1mm.

Can I just check ? - the torque setting for the 3 T45 torx bolts on the lower rocker shaft mounting - Steptoe says 9nm ? This is very low for an 8mm bolt & it should be 15nm according to Cylmer.

Can I just check ? - the torque setting for the 3 T45 torx bolts on the lower rocker shaft mounting - Steptoe says 9nm ? This is very low for an 8mm bolt & it should be 15nm according to Cylmer.

I do mine to what the workshop manual says. M8 Torx Rocker shaft bearing cap 18Nm

Ian

I'm going to remove my valve covers again & tighten them up ! Hope it doesn't change the bloody end float.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom