Adjusting rocker end float, and valve clearances

I'm going to remove my valve covers again & tighten them up ! Hope it doesn't change the bloody end float.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shouldn't for all the difference, the final tighten on the head bolt is the one that tends to throw your perfect adjustments out and then triggers the Tourettes :rolleyes:

I found a copy of the page and all the photos saved locally on an old backup drive recently. I can email them to Neil or post them here with his approval.

I'd be very grateful of a copy of that too. Are you able to post here, or shall I pm you my email address?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

FYI.....

The end float is meant to be be measured at the TOP. Not the bottom. They measure differently.

I'm a BMW technician and this is how its stated in all of my BMW official literature.
And it specifically tells you not to measure it at the bottom.

Although in the real world, as long as you have some float, you'll be okay..

FYI.....

The end float is meant to be be measured at the TOP. Not the bottom. They measure differently.

I'm a BMW technician and this is how its stated in all of my BMW official literature.
And it specifically tells you not to measure it at the bottom.

Although in the real world, as long as you have some float, you'll be okay..

Interesting.

Why would they measure differently?

Is there anything said about consequences if the measurement is taken at the bottom?

I agree. It shouldn't make a difference. But it does. I can't tell you exactly why. Next time you have your covers off, check.

IIRC, they measure tighter at the bottom than the top. But I can't remember if it's the other way around.

I don't think any damage will be done if you measure at the bottom. As long as you have 0.05 worth of float, you will be fine. I've seen rockers with 1mm of float. They're noisy for sure but I've not noticed any damage from it.

Also, the bearing cap screws are M8. They're meant to be 18nm, not 9nm.

9nm is a standard torque for M6 bolts.

I guess the OP may have been reading older manuals. BMW like to change things all time time. And they don't like anyone to know why either.

You do realise that come across as a pompous know it all.
Steptoe AKA Neil has been working on BMW's probably more years than you, even fixing bikes that the Met's own mechanics couldn't

I respect his point of view rather than your pompous comments

It's not a pompous comment at all imo because they do have different measurements, the important point is the smallest measurement is your float :)

Steptoe AKA Neil has been working on BMW's probably more years than you, even fixing bikes that the Met's own mechanics couldn't

I'd say that most UKGSer members come across as pompous know-it-alls sometimes (myself included). ;) :D

There's a huge amount of unspoken communication that is sadly lost in the limited range of the written word, that we'd pick up on if we were face to face. :)

I guess the OP may have been reading older manuals. BMW like to change things all time time. And they don't like anyone to know why either.

The original post was made more than 14 years ago, in 2006. Thanks for correcting any inaccuracies that have occurred over the ensuing years. :thumb

Neil. With no intention to sound further 'Pompous', I have been working on bikes ALL DAY, EVERY DAY, SIX DAYS A WEEK for over twenty years. It's my full time job, career and even perverse hobby too. I run three workshops and work as a full time technician in my own BMW workshop. I contract myself out to other local dealerships of other franchises too. I have also worked for over eight years in a BMW dealership where I have been on numerous training courses and have first hand insight the the workings of BMWs technical departments.

So yeah... I do think I know what I'm talking about. That's not being pompus. I don't know many other techs who spend their free time helping out people for absolutely nothing. So shoot me !!!

I mean in no way to downplay anyone's advice on here. I've read Steptoe's advice on here myself and learned a few top tricks from him over the years. As well as others.

All technical threads on any forum are an evolution. I have been posting on forums for as long as the internet has existed. Things I wrote many years ago have been updated, corrected and improved. I don't find insult in that. And that is the real benefit of using a forum. It's a conglomeration of knowledge and experience.

There are many ways to skin a cat. Like there are a few ways to remove a cam chain tensioner from an old oil head. Like there are a few different ways to do anything in life.

I was actually sent the link to this thread by a complete stranger asking me for help on setting his end float. He asked me if he should follow it. I saw a couple of points which contradicted my training and official BMW electronic manuals so thought it prudent to update the thread. And like any forum post, you are free to take it or leave it.

As a reasonable bloke, forum aficionado and a skilled technician, I don't think the OP would be insulted whatsoever. I don't really know why you are.

Neil. With no intention to sound further 'Pompous', I have been working on bikes ALL DAY, EVERY DAY, SIX DAYS A WEEK for over twenty years. It's my full time job, career and even perverse hobby too. I run three workshops and work as a full time technician in my own BMW workshop. I contract myself out to other local dealerships of other franchises too. I have also worked for over eight years in a BMW dealership where I have been on numerous training courses and have first hand insight the the workings of BMWs technical departments.

So yeah... I do think I know what I'm talking about. That's not being pompus. I don't know many other techs who spend their free time helping out people for absolutely nothing. So shoot me !!!

I mean in no way to downplay anyone's advice on here. I've read Steptoe's advice on here myself and learned a few top tricks from him over the years. As well as others.

All technical threads on any forum are an evolution. I have been posting on forums for as long as the internet has existed. Things I wrote many years ago have been updated, corrected and improved. I don't find insult in that. And that is the real benefit of using a forum. It's a conglomeration of knowledge and experience.

There are many ways to skin a cat. Like there are a few ways to remove a cam chain tensioner from an old oil head. Like there are a few different ways to do anything in life.

I was actually sent the link to this thread by a complete stranger asking me for help on setting his end float. He asked me if he should follow it. I saw a couple of points which contradicted my training and official BMW electronic manuals so thought it prudent to update the thread. And like any forum post, you are free to take it or leave it.

As a reasonable bloke, forum aficionado and a skilled technician, I don't think the OP would be insulted whatsoever. I don't really know why you are.

Well said and thanks for your knowledge and insight

We can all learn from you and Steptoe

I think that the problem here was the written word, does not portray the true intention of what you mean.
I can now see that you do have the experience in working on the machines, and that is quite evident from some of your comments, but it may just be me, but when I have dealings with a given service provider, that forms my opinion.
I wish you well in the future, and should I ever make it back up to port sunlight I'll buy you a pint.

Neil :beerjug:

Interesting, My BMW official workshop manual seems to indicate measuring end float at the bottom....:D

Attachments

• 220B670B-F476-495D-BBD7-7FE0F67B19ED.jpg
    220B670B-F476-495D-BBD7-7FE0F67B19ED.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 401

Back
Top Bottom