Adjusting rocker end float, and valve clearances

Ok then :)
There will always be a different measurement reading top and bottom but also when turning the feeler gauge through 90 degrees, the two rocker shaft supports are never parallel to each other so the only reading which gives true end float will be with a dial gauge on the rocker :)

I think that the problem here was the written word, does not portray the true intention of what you mean.
I can now see that you do have the experience in working on the machines, and that is quite evident from some of your comments, but it may just be me, but when I have dealings with a given service provider, that forms my opinion.
I wish you well in the future, and should I ever make it back up to port sunlight I'll buy you a pint.

Neil :beerjug:

Ill take you up on that :)

It is REALLY easy to make assumptions from the written word. Especially on forums. So I have taken no insult whatsoever as I'm guilty of it more than most. Take care buddy

Interesting, My BMW official workshop manual seems to indicate measuring end float at the bottom....:D

See. That's exactly what I'm talking about with BMW changing their methodology. That's obviously from a very old manual. I've probably got that DVD knocking around somewhere. But if you look at the very latest ones, it shows it from the top.

I was working on an old 1100RT yesterday. I could easily slide a 0.15 thickness gauge into the top. But I couldn't even get a 0.05 gauge into the bottom. However, there is float in there. I could 'Just' make it move. Which I personally think is good.

If you think about it, the top is static. That bearing cap cannot move. The lower one however can. So it's possible for it to be slightly quiff. Which could throw out your readings. Maybe that's why they changed the methodology. Or maybe the guys who write the manuals don't know either and just use whatever stock images they can find on the day. Who knows !!! I've met a few of the technical guys over the years. They aren't the grey haired Wizards with Vernier callipers in their top pockets that we all like to imagine. Some are just white collar IT geeks with no mechanical experience at all. :rob

And if you took your bike to a main dealer, they won't even measure it at all. Most won't even know what end-float is.

To summarise: You need SOME end float. If you can get a 0.05 in the top or the bottom, then you're going to be okay. You can safely run the engine with up to 0.40. Which is actually quite a lot and you can really wobble them up and down when they measure like that.

It's REALLY hard to get the gap to close to 0.05 on the top anyway. After you've knocked it smaller with your rubber mallet and hold it in position, once you torque it all down again, the gap is usually 0.10-0.15.

Does anyone else think that we're over thinking this ???? :blagblah:blagblah :D:D:D:D

Does anyone else think that we're over thinking this ????

Now don't you start becoming all sensible and using common sense and all that sort of thing :rob

I always did the float at the top as it made sense as the leverage wants to push the rocker arm upwards and I guess at the end of the day you get a feel for it if for example there's a lot of play and warrants further checking and/or adjustment

keep yourself sane and keep fettling those motorbikes :thumbs

Just done this joband found this thread useful. First time I used the 4 job specific feeler gauges bought for about £12 on eBay. With all 4 loosely nipped in place very interesting to see how the adjustment of one valve immediately affects the clearance of not only it’s partner but also the valves on the other side. If you’re in any doubt 4 feelers seems the way to go.

Agree with post above that it is really difficult to set the end float to the min clearance. I tried this last time an on measuring again found the top gap larger from inlet to exhaust and also around the measurement half circle as if the cross piece was on a slant. Finally got them equal at about .07 but when tightening up it increased to .10. Pretty sure at this level of end float the allowed lateral movement should not affect the consistency of valve opening clearance and affect performance.

Back
Top Bottom