My first UKGSer do…

Pumpy

That's short for Pumpernickel
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
...actually, it was my first biker meeting on such a scale ever! Mass events with lots of drinking, hog-roasting, bull-riding, etc. didn't really appeal to me in the past - but as this do was also the final ceremony of the PWAB, I thought I'd give it a go...

And WOW - what a great weekend!!! Almost every concern I had before was proven wrong and I just hugely enjoyed myself. A big THANK YOU to Bryn and Lyn for the organisation and to all of you who helped with the realisation of this event!!!

After pitching my tent as far as possible away from JB's mobile bar (having learnt from the experience at the Griffin... don't take it personally, James!) and negotiating a veggie burger with the nice people at the catering van it was a nail-biting couple of hours until we heard that Room 101 and her crew had managed to make up the previous two hour delay and finish leg 12 and thus the whole challenge on time! :clap :clap :clap
94307623-M.jpg

I wonder why Sue was chosen to ride the final region... :D
94307624-M.jpg

The next morning posed the question - fun or fame? Ford run or interview with the BBC Leicester? Oh well, fun we can have everyday, so off to the city it was. Parking was slightly limited and involved a bit of exercises...
94307625-M.jpg

And Maria - managed to mention all the important bits, even UKGSer dot com!
94307627-M.jpg

Jaq: “Mmm, did I really say that...?”
94307628-M.jpg

Behind every strong woman is a supportive man - thanks, Mr Bluebell, Mr Jaq and Mr Duchess!
94307629-M.jpg

Group photo with the presenter for the BBC website (haven’t found it on their homepage yet…):
94307630-M.jpg

And then it was off to the Ford run for Maria and me. Thanks to Greg who entered the waypoint into my GPS we arrived at Little Lawford in no time. Only to find out that the guys hadn’t been there so far (the benefit of having a scout with you…) but were slobbing about in the pub instead...

Thus we were able to settle down for a lovely Broccoli and Stilton soup (thank you, Maria!) in a nearby village ourselves before the rest of the group arrived. Together we returned to one of the most challenging fords of the whole run – great point to start with… Hence my first attempt was a bit of an embarrassment – took the route through the deepest bits, stopped the bike half way through and had to be pulled over the step at the end, trampling on several toes along the way… :mmmm Fortunately nobody took pictures at that point (or at least nobody has posted them yet (can we agree on a deal?)).

An idyllic little river in the English countryside…
94307640-M.jpg

Not for much longer – Brian getting ready for action:
94307631-M.jpg

Closely followed by Greg...
94307633-M.jpg

And Clive...
94307635-M.jpg

Would you trust this man with your wife?
94307636-M.jpg

Well, Jason did… :eek:
94686604-M.jpg

Forry, is it you?
94307638-M.jpg

Tim, staying upright this time… :D
94307639-M.jpg

I think Greg suffered a bit from compulsive river crossing syndrome that afternoon…
94307637-M.jpg

Fisherwoman Rachel watched the spectacle patiently and was even grateful that we stirred up the fish for her.
94307634-M.jpg

Is it Christmas yet? Bill at the last ford of the day (byway to Stonton Wyville?)
94307641-M.jpg

Brian taking it easy...
94307642-M.jpg

Quite contrary to Wizard:
94307643-M.jpg

Do you want a close-up?
94307644-M.jpg

Brian opening the “who can go slowest through a ford without losing momentum and getting wet” competition – now there’s a thought… :D
94307645-M.jpg

Back at the campsite we all checked our final drives (my personal mechanic had arrived in the meantime…) and then got ready for the party :coold

My favourite Possu preparing for a different kind of ride…
94307646-M.jpg

Not doing too bad…
94307647-M.jpg

I think he stayed on top for 52 seconds – here at 00:51:58:
94307648-M.jpg

Karen seems to feel slightly more comfortable on a bike…
94307649-M.jpg

Dahoum showing his lad how it’s done – quick learner the little one… :D
94307650-M.jpg

Paul – not coming anywhere close to the results of his better half (28 seconds to 60, IIRC)
94307651-M.jpg

My personal highlight of the evening – gorgeous Maria...
94307652-M.jpg

... providing free belly-dancing lessons to Lucy…
94307653-M.jpg

The Pink Girls -
94307655-M.jpg

Celebrating the successful completion of the Pink Way Around Britain challenge:
94307656-M.jpg

And the man in the background without whom the whole project wouldn't have been possible - you should have been with us on stage, Steve! Thank you for all your support, all the encouraging bits and pieces everywhere and your tireless efforts to make this (ad)venture happen!
94307622-M.jpg

:wave :wave :wave

I am grateful that I have been part of the PWAB, it was great to celebrate our achievements with you all and a pity that Sharribee, Moira and Tash couldn't join us. Hope to meet you one day!

Oh, and as for biker meetings - can I prebook for next year already, Bryn?

Thanks and hope to see you all again sooner or later!

Ela x

Cracking write up. Thanks for taking the time to do it :)

Excellent write up, almost as good as your riding!! :clap :clap

It was great to see you, look forward to seeing you soon, maybe at Llangollen.

Yep, nice write up and photo's :thumb

It was great to have a chat with you and Possu and hope we meet again soon :D

Shep

Great to meet you again, and to watch the way you handled your bike through the fords :clap :bow

timolgra said:
Great to meet you again, and to watch the way you handled your bike through the fords :clap :bow

Well said that man :bounce1

See ya soon Ella :thumb

... Great piccies, thanx for sharing

... I took the bra off 'The Prawn' on my return to Oxon ... I have perfect bug free B-cups on the screen ... they are the insect equivalent of 'white-bits' ...

... nurse ... NURSE ... NURSE ... NNUURRSSEE ... tablet-time please :bounce1

Nice one Ela good to meet you :thumb .You made that first ford look easy i was more than a little nervous following you :clap

:clap fantastic Ela ... lots of memories, great weekend. We packed alot in didn't we.

... and didn't we have fun doing so :D

I haven't managed to send any pictures into the BBC as yet, I plan to do it later this week.... We should be posted on their website soon :thumb

:)

Thank you all for your nice feedback - makes it all worthwile (it still takes me some time to post in the strange idiom you speak on this island...) :D

A few more credits that I forgot to mention in the first post: I would like to thank

- Fanum for his last Ford Run (and his pm reminding me of checking my final drive) :clap
- All the guys who helped me out of the water at Little Lawford :mmmm
- Wizard for not ripping my toes off when he touched the bank at the last ford - great stunt, mate... :D
- The Burger Van crew for improvising a vegetarian breakfast menu for Possu and me :bow
- Bryn for organising a meat-free alternative to the hogroast (that's apart from all your other efforts) :clap
- The farmer for showing me the second shower :thumb
- Reyno for fitting my new flash oil cooler grill on site (what a service!) :clap
- All you other Tossers and Tossesses for making me welcome and the whole weekend such a pleasant experience!

Can't wait for the next event!!! :bounce1

that was brilliant ela, it was brilliant to meet up again and i am so glad that you had a great time

and thank you for saturday :)

Great pics, Ela, and even 'greaterer' to see you again.... :cool:
Really glad that you enjoyed the weekend....I take it you'll come out to play with us again?...... :D :bounce1 :clap
Hugs.....Jaq...x

What a great write-up Ella. It was my first time too. Had a ABSOLUTLY fantastic time, met some lovely people and it was a great atmoshphere. May i also say it was a pleasure and an honour to have been a part of the Pink Way Around Britain Challenge and a pleasure to have met the rest of the baton ladies.

Many Thanks to you all especially Karen and Steve(Ram-Man) for making me a part of this event and Mr & Mrs Brynn for all thier hard work in organising the EM get together.

Back
Top Bottom