Ride report

G.C.

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Well that’s it, the jobs a good un. :thumb
I have to say a BIG thank you to Tash and Oonyack, Ronno and Schultz, Cookson Marty-P and Russell. Andy Davis and Sethmop. Slainte

The day of the run, I, and I suspect all the other riders was up bright and early, like a child all excited. All the final checks completed, all equipment checked and double checked and it was of to the pub, our handover point.
94317917-M.jpg

The local press were there and we quickly set up a shot with Tash on her bike and all the support riders wearing pink marigolds around her. That was the tone for the day, some fun but we had a job to do, and that was to support Tash and make sure we arrived in Inverness safely.
We had been in contact with the region 8 team and knew of their difficulties, sounded like the makings of an excellent “road kill” game pie. So we were relieved to see them arrive safely. They were accompanied by Andy Davies who joined us for a couple of hours on our leg.
Well done to Sillymoo, Grahame and Derm for all your efforts.

We got underway at noon, our team was made up of Tash and Oonyack, Ronno and Schultz, Cookson Marty-P and Russell.
We headed up the A82 and were blessed with great weather, this aided our progress and after an hour and a 1/2 we stopped for 5 minutes.
94317922-M.jpg

We then pressed on along the side of Loch Carron, here we started on the single track roads, of which we had many. I took point and attempted to persuade both the sheep and oncoming traffic to get out of our way and allow continual progress, Tash was holding a good pace and we were making good time. We said goodbye to Andy around here, cheers for the company.
Our first fuel stop was in Ullapool, everything going to plan, our recce runs were proving their worth.
93914661-L-2.jpg

From here our next goal was Scourie where soup and sandwiches would be waiting for us, on the way there we encountered our Stetson heided friend who decided that a group of 8 bikes were there for his sport. I looked in my mirror to see him overtake another couple of our group and then push his way in behind Tash, he was too close to tash, I started to say in my helmet, “someone needs to …..” I never got the sentence finished, a bike pulled out from the back, went past him and pulled in to allow some space for our baton carrier. There may have been one or two hand signals used, not sure though, Ive never seen them in the highway code,. :D
We continued to the Scourie hotel for a well earned break where we had what was to be our last food for 8 hours.
93914662-L.jpg

(After this we raided Cooksons tank bag which was full of chocolate treats, bananas, biscuits and god knows what else.)
From here we continued to Thurso where Sethmopp joined us we had a quick Fuel stop then pushed on to Dunnet Head.
We used the last of the daylight along with some GS spots to take a photo.
The track out to Dunnet Head was typical of the roads in the far North of Scotland, it has gravel, 90 degree bends and potholes, a bad combination in the dark. I later learned that Tash had a “moment” on the way back down. It shook her a bit but she carried on, she was on a mission.
94317932-M-1.jpg

More to follow.

Leading a group in the dark was new to me, in daylight I could keep track of where the riders behind me were, but in the dark I could only see lights from the bike immediately behind me.

Sethmopp led us back to Thurso where we joined the A9 and started heading South. I was keeping a steady pace with an eye on the bike behind me when after a few miles Ronno signalled for me to pull over. We had lost the rest of the group, I was going too fast.
After what felt like a long time, but was probably only a few minutes I was relieved to see them come along side. We had a brief chat and Tash told us she wanted us to do. We rearranged ourselves and continued, it didn’t matter if we were going to be late, so long as we all made it safely.
Heading along the coast the temperature dropped noticeably, we continued to make steady progress but fatigue and hunger were setting in. It was time for a break, we stopped at Brora and raided Cooksons tankbag, I had a banana washed down with a can of red bull, now that’s power food, we still had about 60 miles to go and we had been on the road for over 10 hours !
I contacted Grizzly and gave him an update. I had been in contact with Paul G throughout the ride. Region 10 would be waiting whenever we got there.
Once more unto the breach, we headed onwards the further south we rode the better the roads became, still conscious of the previous legs “road kill game pie” the pace was steady but cautious. It was with relief that I caught my first glimpse of Tore roundabout, that meant illuminated dual carriageway into Inverness and our handover point, all 7 miles of it.
Tash led us, as was fitting, to the A96 handover point where Moira, Grizzly and the rest of their team were waiting. A quick handover and a good luck wave and we were off to find our hotel. Half an hour later I had found some hot food and we all sat in Cookson and Schultz`s room munching away and enjoying a dram, courtesy of Duchess. Slainte Karen.
Region 9 recorded miles 451

Tash, yir a star.
94317933-M.jpg

Schultz, thanks for being a superb tail gunner mate.
Oonyack, you can sort oot my traffic any time you like.
Cookson, what would we have done without the tuckshop.
Ronno, the team photographer.
Marty-p, quietly getting on with it, thanks for the support.
Rustle, our x-lurker, keep them dancing moves coming.
Have to mention Andy D and Sethmopp, great to see you guys
Andy you really does exist then.

The next morning 4 of us headed over to Granton on Spey, Tonintoul, Ballater etc then eventually 2 of us onto Nottingham, but that’s another story.

Thanks one and all.
:wave :wave
Gordon

Well done Gordon

A huge effort on your behalf getting the whole thing off the ground in the first place and seeing it though to the very end :bow

Stumpy

Well done G.C. Great report.

You did well in the lead, especially on the single track & considering you did'nae have a GPS or map.

Go to the top of the class.

:thumb

Slainte

Thanks G.C! Now the next time somebody asks me how the trip went, I'll hand them your report!
The total funds for Moira's route and ours is well over £1000.00! Yeehaaa!
Thanks again my Marrigold Men :thumb

Glad to see and hear that everything went ok. At least the weather held for you cos it got cold when I was nightshift and that was in the car not on the bike.

You've captured the essence of the trip G.C.! Serious mission but undertaken joyfully. Good company and good craic. Tash, I'm humbled by your tenacity and good humour throughout. Be proud girl, very proud. You've been an integral part of a bigger thing which will help other people who are not having the same good time we are.

Let's do it again sometime - when :-
a) we've completely forgotten the sore butt after a 12 hour ride
b) got higher night temperatures
c) got more daylight hours
and
d) when my choreographer shows me some better moves!

All the best and thanks to you all.

Well done to everyone for a great effort for a worthwhile cause, particularly Tash for her perseverance and determination and GC for getting it all organised. :bow :clap :bow
Sorry I missed the after ride meal and drams, but the call of my own bed was just too great. :D :D
:thumb :thumb

Back
Top Bottom