f.a.o noddy. your old g/s

The frame and all the cycle parts were taken and shotblasted then delivered to my friend the powdercoating man. Now the deal with him is that you can have whatever colour he is using at the time for a couple of pints. :thumb But if you want a specific colour it might mean waiting weeks, so as the parts were fresh from the blasters and not wanting to let rust get a grip I turned down the first offered colour as he was doing white the next day.
After all who would want a light Blue frame. :eek: Basically a bit of a mistake by me there. :D

Attachments

• Frame (Small).jpg
    Frame (Small).jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 338
And all complete :thumb You would never believe how easily it started, new petrol, plugs and battery, all oils and filters changed, I doubt that it turned over more than half a dozen times when it fired up. And all the lights and indicators worked as well. :thumb

We decided to try and get it done in time for the Italian rally and things got a bit rushed towards the end so the tank was given a quick respray in what ever was in the shed. It could have been orange :D And we had again talked about fitting a sidecar so the exhaust was moved to the off side and a nice Goldie silencer fitted. :D The dreaded white seat come back out from retirement and the old girl passed the MOT first time. Got the tax and insurance sorted, booked the ferry and a couple of days later we were on our way. Brick tents sorted where ever we stopped and a fantastic time had. :thumb Got to say it again, the old girl never missed a beat. :D

Attachments

• Break (Small).jpg
    Break (Small).jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 319
Some time later I started the bike to go out and left it ticking over as I was putting on helmet and gloves and with a bit of a clunk it suddenly stopped. Yup another exhaust valve had broken :( Nearside again :eek Another head barrel and piston was requested from Motobins. The head was boarder line but was changed anyway, as was the piston with just a small dent but I didn't think it worth the risk. Found the head of the valve in the exhaust pipe. :D The valve head was welded to the stem and i think recommended to be change ever 40000 miles if my memory is right and folklore has it, its always the nearside that fails due to the bike aften being left on the side stand. :nenau My verdict, bollox,my fault as I always ran it a bit to hard. :D Can remember looking down whilst out at night and seeing the header pipes glowing cherry red. :thumb

Any way the single seat was put back on and the bike was used for a couple of years without any problems. Then one day Scottie ( said he'd be back :rolleyes: ) did a bit of impact parking outside the pub. :D He managed to drop his bike onto mine and push it off a high kerb upside down and into the side of our friend Martins car. Smashed both rocker covers, mirrors, tank, Consept helmet and my wonderfull Goldie silencer. :(

Still his insurance paid up :thumb and new old style rocker covers were fitted, tank was repaired and repainted white, new mirrors fitted and a brand new Harley silencer fitted to the near side. Silencer bought for £10 by Mrs Noddy at a car boot sale in Bognor :confused: New helmet and all ok.

Old boy at the end of our lane alwys used to wave as I went past, spoke to him one day and he said the bike sounded like a cross between a Massey Ferguson tractor and a Lancaster bomber. :D

Bike ended up like this and was sold about 5 years back to a Sith Ifrican chappie who said he was going to ride it overland back home. He was going to e-mail pictures of his journey but I never heard from him again.

Attachments

• Picture 076 (Small).jpg
    Picture 076 (Small).jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 329
Ok final part and let the piss taking start :D

Parts replaced over the years, not in any particular order.

Countless Metzler enduro 2 tyres two back to one front.
Countless front brake pads.
I'm a goodie two shoes :D Original rear brake shoes when the bike sold and still servicable.
Original starter motor and alternator.
Two rear shockers, thought they were both OE but one of the photos shows a red spring and a gold top. :nenau
New clutch and clutch cable fitted on rebuild along with new throttle and choke cables.
U/J on drive shaft replaced. Rubber boot on final drive and speedo replaced.
Handlbar switch gear probably twice.
Both base gaskets and pushrod rubbers changed as they perished and leaked.
Three or four batteries. All OE.
Progressive springs into forks.
Had a mod done to the diff to allow a slightly thicker oil seals to be fitted as gear oil leaked along the actuator arm and into the brake.
Wheel and headset bearings changed on rebuild.
Lots of small electrical niggles cured by bypassing the multiblocks.
Bottom end of the engine was never touched. Engine oil and Filter was always changed at about 3k Sometimes more frequently if the bike had stood over the winter. Always run on GTX.
Just remembered,the level plug on the diff had lost its thread so I filled it with P38 and just measured the amount to fill it.

Steve, if you have a fraction of the fun we had with the bike you will be a very happy man. Ride safe and enjoy. :thumb

Just give me a shout if you want any more info.

top bannana noddy, rest assured i will look after. even planning on selling my gsx1100e so i can spend the dosh on doing up the motor this winter with a veiw to taking her to the pyrenees next summer. whats the best thing to do first? two up it needs more. 1000cc? up gear bevel box or 5th gear? any suggestions? thanks again for your trouble.

Did you have the hubs stoved.Did you strip the rear hub completely before having it stoved.

daytonatwin said:
Did you have the hubs stoved.Did you strip the rear hub completely before having it stoved.
wheels were striped, hubs were shot blasted then sprayed, re-built with stainless spokes. stoving ally can prove difficault espesh when old, oxidiseing goes deep into pourous ally.

Going by the prices these things are fetching now... I stole one from a member on here about two years ago now!

Okay, so the gearbox is a bit cack but the rest of it is okay. :aidan

Just got her back in the workshop for rebuild from SteveO a couple of years ago.

Back
Top Bottom