Basic Register - Your PHOTOS please

Hi Guys and fellow Airhead owners

As all you passionate owners will probably know the history of the R80 Kalahari, its rarity & value and the fact that they were basically a derivative for the approx. 3500 Basic models that were build they are not listed on http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/select?vin=0264754 as Kalahari specific models.

We know 54 bikes were assembled in SA for the SA market and apparently one was written of on the launch , making technically 53 of these models. - A rare breed indeed.

The purpose of this exercise and my research as a fellow owner of one is to establish once and for all the Vin numbers of these bikes.
This I would then like to send the the above site and have them listed. This would hopefully give some kind of authentication of the bikes making potential copies of them traceable and thus protecting these the current owners & future buyers of what has become quite a sough after jewel in the Airhead GS line up.

The Vin numbers I have accumulated thus far has revealed some interesting facts. As there are no current records of the specific Basics that were turned into Kalahari models ( Basics were not sold in SA market) it would be great to get them listed. What I have establishes is the following:

1. The Vin numbers are not concurrent , but rather in three frame batches as they were send here from Germany and modified to become the bike sold here.
2. That according to the numbers it seems that we could currently be at 53 out of the 53/54 of them. - This is based on the assumption that the concurrent numbers within the three batches I have completes the mystery. ..ultimately the more numbers I have the more accurate the list will be.

Once I’m sure of the Vin numbers I can send it through and have them listed on the site.

Feel free to contact me directly should you have this model and would like to share the Vin number with me...I will of course then also send you the list of numbers I have privately as some owners surely prefers the discretion. Should anyone know anyone else that has one...not sure that there can be that many in Europe please pass on this request.

Hope to get your bike’s Vin number from you and keep chipping away on my list.

Regards

Lorenzo Brocchetto
Cape Town SA
lorenzo@vanilla.co.za

Lovely. Probably the only bike that would tempt me to swap with my G/S Paris Dakar.

Not wishing to sound like Craig Revel Horwood, but that is gorgeous darling!

Thanks,
I bought it in Germany, I know of one other for sale if you are interested but the guy wants €850 for it!

And the TAG kevlar PD lookalike is more expensive again!

Attachments

• IMG_0493.jpg
    IMG_0493.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 864
paid £400 for a new old stock PD tank a few years back. Seemed outrageous at the time :D

Here is one of my Basic - sold to a guy in Spain - 7 years ago

Basic_1.jpg

Basic_2.jpg

Here's another - which was sold to Gary - with the smaller tank

I bought it from a guy off the forum, (Pedro - lived somewhere in the S East?) - years ago - the "trick" bits were fitted when I bought it

The suede seat has a black rain cover

Reg Number- P753PTR if anyone has it

Basic_3.jpg

and another

Reg Number P958 PMX - wonder where it is now

The PO lowered the seat by cutting some foam out!!!!

Basic_4.jpg

GS BASIC with PD Tank

Here's mine,
Had it 9 years but not used for 7 years.
Serial number 0267296.
71000 miles
I have the small tank as well.
cheers Bob

Attachments

• splash.jpg
    splash.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 1,082

Back
Top Bottom