A wee spin to the 6 counties and the Free State.

They have a sense of humour the men and women (& whatever else there may be) of Achill Island. 'Welcome'. Ha!

Attachments

• 20220801_132007.jpg
    20220801_132007.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 164
My only photograph of the place that has been calling me for decades.
I shall just have to come back.
Next time in the summer.
August, that would probably be the best bet.

Attachments

• 20220801_134409.jpg
    20220801_134409.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 160
Good write up TG, the family story is particularly interesting. Myself and I few others on here would regularly be through all of the parts you’ve been to plus I work not that far from there - Ballinamallard.

Barry

Regarding the family thing it's all a bit odd. Everyone called my dad Colin but that's not his real name. He also has 2 birth certificates with 2 different spellings of his surname. His surname is spelt differently to the rest of his Irish family and mine is spelt differently to my mum, dad and sister. And everyone calls me Bill but my 1st name is Robert. The best of luck to anyone in the future trying to trace our family tree. :D

I shall just have to come back.
Next time in the summer.

It is the summer FFS :aidan

I’m gutted you didn’t make it to Achill. Can you not go back tomorrow, it’s only round the corner….?

Really enjoying your RR, the family stuff makes it very real :thumb

It is the summer FFS :aidan

I’m gutted you didn’t make it to Achill. Can you not go back tomorrow, it’s only round the corner….?

Really enjoying your RR, the family stuff makes it very real :thumb

Thanks. :thumb2
I'll see what the weather's doing but it doesn't look like it's going to be much better. Unlike most of my more recent trips I've had to pre book everything and that's all based on a southward trajectory. But there's always next year, InshAllah.

Thank you Barry. You and the others are very lucky people. I must come to a Swifts game some time, ideally when they play Cliftonville.

Definitely, my business sponsor the Team! The ‘name’ part of your story is fascinating. Also the honesty in your dad not bothered about the land etc in those days.

Barry

Really enjoying this Robert/Bill/Tommy. Thanks :thumb2

And I'm really looking forward to your Germany report. Assuming you've not broken any more screens or dropped any more devices into cement. You're not related to Tricky are you?:D

Love that area
Properly beautiful
Off to Sligo on Friday

Well the good news for you is that I'm on the ferry home on Thursday so you'll have beautiful weather all the way.
The area around Sligo is fabulous. Go inland and north if you can. Have a great trip. I believe Friday night is Hen Night night so I'm sure you will.

Definitely, my business sponsor the Team! The ‘name’ part of your story is fascinating. Also the honesty in your dad not bothered about the land etc in those days.

Barry

That's definitely a definite then. I'll seek you out. You'll know me, I'll be the one in the Celtic shirt. :augie

You'll have to buy a flat cap.... It's a traditional Quiet Man requirement :)

I went to the cinema at the campsite in Cong. They show the Quiet Man every night.

Good work Bill. Enjoying following you on this trip.

Loving this, Bill...so envious of the weather you've encountered - not like the weeks of baking hot sun we had to endure! :green gri

Back
Top Bottom