Decision

skinneroo

Reaction score
Hi folks ,
Currently riding a f900xr (previously owned a r1200rs)
Liked the xr for its nimbleness compared to the rs.
My mate says the 1200gs would give me the best of both worlds.
Taking one for a test ride next week.

Any opinions greatly appreciated

People are different. I own a R1200RS. I didn't take to the F900XR when I had one as a service loaner. I have ridden the R1200GS in various formats, an R1250GS and a couple of R1250RS. I wouldn't describe any GS as nimble compared to an RS, and the 1250RS is not attractive when it would cost £10k to change.

Go for your test ride and decide for yourself. The opinions on here are pretty meaningless as we will all tend to prefer what we currently ride!

Your 'mate' rides an R1200GS - just a wild guess. The grass is always greener over there.......... you will have to excuse my cynicism.

@wessie just about sums things up. Decide on a budget, get some test rides in, not just a GS, & see what best fits your intended user profile.

Complete waste of time asking on a GS forum whether to get a GS !
As said above , only you can know , so go test one , and why not try some alternatives too ?

Depends ultimately on what you will use the Bike for & what floats your boat; performance, capability, comfort, looks etc etc

enjoy the test rides! Nothing more exciting than new bike decision time :) - I've just come back from a 1000 mile tour an a R1250RS and last weekend changed to a 1250GSA - more comfort than the RS riding position (despite putting risers on the RS) and was also finding suspension bottoming out on the RS over rougher Scottish single track roads whilst rest of the group on GSA's and Tenere 700's were having a blast, the RS is a fantastic bike but my future tours are looking like will be some light dirt riding so was time to make the change - whatever you choose will be awesome, I was particularly impressed with the Tenere 700's and could buy several for the price of a GSA!

1200GS is a great bike, but nimble is the last word to describe it. If you want more nimbleness go lighter - Tiger 900, Tracer 900, 750/850GS

Had a 900XR when my F750GS was getting serviced ... lovely bike, but almost too nimble. Weirdly the 750/850/900 all have the same 853cc motor.

If you still like the XR, stick with that, test ride the Tracer 900, you may like it better.

Hi folks ,

I have a r1200rs and the f900xr is on my sort list ( want something light ). But I am going to hold on till later this year. Waiting for the Moto Guzzi V100 Mandello

I have a r1200rs and the f900xr is on my sort list ( want something light ). But I am going to hold on till later this year. Waiting for the Moto Guzzi V100 Mandello

the Guzzi does look nice, in pictures, but it is a considerable step up in price compared to the F900XR

the Guzzi does look nice, in pictures, but it is a considerable step up in price compared to the F900XR

Yes not sure how much the guzzi will be. However if its lets say £17000 ish I may be tempted. The biggest problem for me is Hight cos i is a short arse

Hi folks ,

So what is it about the 900xr that's made you look for a change. Because I am on the same journey

So what is it about the 900xr that's made you look for a change. Because I am on the same journey

I loved the xr when i test rode it after riding the rs, ok the torque is not the same, the back brake is pathetic, which is strange as the front is the best I have ever tried.
The xr feels so light and flickable.

The problem is when 2 up on a journey of more than 2 hours.
I find it uncomfortable.

I'm hoping that the gs may fall somewhere in between the rs and xr.

I loved the xr when i test rode it after riding the rs, ok the torque is not the same, the back brake is pathetic, which is strange as the front is the best I have ever tried.
The xr feels so light and flickable.

The problem is when 2 up on a journey of more than 2 hours.
I find it uncomfortable.

I'm hoping that the gs may fall somewhere in between the rs and xr.

Thanks for reply 2 up is exactly what I do so I will have to give this some thought. But me and the wife are light weight. That could make a difference. The gs is a big bike. check is weight.

Try the F750GS, feels like a lightweight 1200 to ride, very comfortable and I find it very comfortable. Same engine as the 900

Back
Top Bottom