GS is still the best !

I’m sure you chaps are all riding gods,
Not 60 year old overweight keyboard warriors with small willies,:blast:D:D
But where do you need all of this power:confused:
The world I live in ,has 50 limits everywhere,double white lines everywhere,
And when you do get the chance to fire the bike past the 4 cars following a HGV or tractor,there’s a camera van tucked away in a lay-by.:comfort
Lose your licence,your life,or your bank balance in the U.K. with a fast bike(should you choose to use it as intended)
Mini rant over,as you were:okay

Depends where you ride and your ability to realise your surroundings , just saying .. comment over ...but you are surrounded by A roads .. back in my hole

The same make and model in 16 years? Dear God, have you got no imagination .... ??!

I have ridden many different bikes, the only thing that comes close for everyday use is perhaps the multi-strada or the BMW XR but for all year round use they are out because of the chain drive, which is a pain in the arse for winter riding.

Does seem to be a GS thing.
People replace their steed of awesomeness just before the warranty expires,quite often tying in with the PCP renewal date.
I’d be bored stiff doing that and it seems that many don’t even test the opposition but blandly just switch to the latest GS.
I guess it depends how you view your bike and motorcycling in general.
For some it’s a heart thing and for others a head thing.And others have zero imagination ……

I always buy my bikes outright, PCPs are for the dilettantes.

I have ridden many different bikes, the only thing that comes close for everyday use is perhaps the multi-strada or the BMW XR but for all year round use they are out because of the chain drive, which is a pain in the arse for winter riding.

Nothing wrong with chain drive , I made them last longer and a lot cheaper than my GS final drive , mikeyboy repairs plenty of them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Depends where you ride and your ability to realise your surroundings , just saying .. comment over ...but you are surrounded by A roads .. back in my hole

Very true,,
I choose to ride the B roads,I can if I choose ride,at any speed I like.
My 950R SE will break every speed limit, and is fast enough to get me my license removed if I don’t watch what I’m doing.
I actually ride off road more these days .
Funny thing,on Saturday morning,a pheasant,took off just in front of me on my 690,
Which strangely enough Tis also fast enough to do the same as the above mentioned bike.
It flew above my mudguard,just in front of the headlamp,
I accelerated up to about 30 watching the bird.
Over the last 3 years ,to my knowledge 3 riders have died following bird strikes at speed,on the A roads around Melton two of which were within 2 miles from my house ( as the pheasant flies)
Don’t talk like a cock(pheasant)
About “ability to realise your surroundings “.
One day,you just might get caught out on your 150bhp bike,
The dead riders didn’t get much thought about their ability to realise their surroundings

I hit a pigeon at around 80 on my Blackbird - hit me in the chest. Didn't half hurt!

Who the hell wants the best bike , the “perfect” bike !?!?! .

A bike that will do everything,one that is fast , that handles like a moto gp bike, cruises likes a Wing, has luggage , a rear rack, a centre stand & heated grips but weighs less than 200kg. One that can top 200mph, go Offroad, on road, on motorways , carry a pillion and maybe a load of livestock too. One that can do 0-60 in under 3 secs, 50-150 in under 10, brake from 100-0 in less than 75metres and do 100mpg. Has ABS, TCS, ESA , TFT, ACC, ASC and DSG.

If somebody actually made the best bike , the perfect bike” then we wouldn’t need to fill our garages with different bikes for different moods would we? Instead the Mrs would get her new kitchen every 3yrs . How bloody boring would that be :nenau

had a female pheasant hit the near side mirror on my 900 Hornet, very scary !

Who the hell wants the best bike , the “perfect” bike !?!?! .

A bike that will do everything,one that is fast , that handles like a moto gp bike, cruises likes a Wing, has luggage , a rear rack, a centre stand & heated grips but weighs less than 200kg. One that can top 200mph, go Offroad, on road, on motorways , carry a pillion and maybe a load of livestock too. One that can do 0-60 in under 3 secs, 50-150 in under 10, brake from 100-0 in less than 75metres and do 100mpg. Has ABS, TCS, ESA , TFT, ACC, ASC and DSG. :nenau

If it doesn't have a telelever front end and go 180mph with full luggage without weaving it will still be a pile of shit.
You will have to supply all the exact specifications and performance figures otherwise someones head might explode with worry that they cannot carry out a vehicle assassination without actually riding it.

Nothing wrong with chain drive , I made them last longer and a lot cheaper than my GS final drive , mikeyboy repairs plenty of them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I hear that said all the time but I've never had a shaft fail on me.

Winter riding requires constant and careful chain cleaning if they are to last, too much faff on dark winter evenings.

My Thruxton R has a chain drive and that requires constant cleaning even though I only do about 2500 miles a year on that bike, 90% of which is in good weather. For 10-12k miles all year round a shaft drive wins for me.

Only the GS does it all and does it so well.

I hear that said all the time but I've never had a shaft fail on me.

Winter riding requires constant and careful chain cleaning if they are to last, too much faff on dark winter evenings.

My Thruxton R has a chain drive and that requires constant cleaning even though I only do about 2500 miles a year on that bike, 90% of which is in good weather. For 10-12k miles all year round a shaft drive wins for me.

Only the GS does it all and does it so well.

Utter blinkered bollox .
Never had a chain fail on me in 40 years, yet only last year our trip was disrupted when a shaft failed on mates K1300S.

Maybe 1 of the best but now I am looking at not so heavy bike, as seems future will give less riding places to go, so KTM 890 is catch my eye.

Utter blinkered bollox .
Never had a chain fail on me in 40 years, yet only last year our trip was disrupted when a shaft failed on mates K1300S.

And don't forget all the crap that goes through chains, mud, stones, gravel, fingers etc and it copes with it all. Walter Colebatch and Lyndon Poshkitt riding all over the world in some pretty remote places with a chain driven bike. They didn't get the memo or maybe the average commute is more demanding.

And don't forget all the crap that goes through chains, mud, stones, gravel, fingers etc and it copes with it all. Walter Colebatch and Lyndon Poshkitt riding all over the world in some pretty remote places with a chain driven bike. They didn't get the memo or maybe the average commute is more demanding.

Both can fail , but some do tend to take a chain to its limits and failures will and have been more often compared to a shaft. We had a chain fail on a Ktm that was with us in spain , most likey due to bad maintainance , so now try to insist if taking a tour , bikes are up to scratch.
Off road we always take extra links and splitting tools as the rocks can cause havoc and can snap a week chain .

BMW certainly has the best business model.

Charge top end prices for machines, which have many parts made in China of poor quality that will without doubt fail early on in the bikes life. BMW can afford to keep replacing these parts under warranty because the cost to them is peanuts but the customer then professes that BMW have the best warranty on the market and then feel the warm glow after being told that their repair would have cost them thousands had it been out of warranty.
These outrageous spare prices then spur on people to cough up for BMWs expensive continuous warranty after the original runs out because they are shit scared of ending up paying something like £2000 for a cheap shit electronic emulsion rear shock which BMW probably pay about £90, for example.

The internet is awash with GS owners who have had replacement engines, ESA shocks etc. When did you last hear about Kawasaki or Yamaha engines failing? No doubt they are out there but it is very, very rare.

BMW are masters at ripping people off but people keep giving them money so why should they change anything.

As for chain drives, all my previous bikes had chains apart from a 1200GS LC ( New engine, knackered rear ESA shock, new final drive ) and all exceeded 20,000 miles without being changed. The Fazer 600 in my avatar has just had a new DID gold chain with new sprockets at 21000 miles which cost about £90 and even then there was still plenty of life left in the old chain and sprockets. A cheap chain oiler makes them last even longer.

As an addendum, I thought the 1250 boxer was supposed to be more refined than the old 1200. My 1200 always sounded like a bag of spanners in a drum but a mates 1250 GSA sounds very noisy at idle, not refined at all.

BMW certainly has the best business model.

Charge top end prices for machines, which have many parts made in China of poor quality that will without doubt fail early on in the bikes life. BMW can afford to keep replacing these parts under warranty because the cost to them is peanuts but the customer then professes that BMW have the best warranty on the market and then feel the warm glow after being told that their repair would have cost them thousands had it been out of warranty.
These outrageous spare prices then spur on people to cough up for BMWs expensive continuous warranty after the original runs out because they are shit scared of ending up paying something like £2000 for a cheap shit electronic emulsion rear shock which BMW probably pay about £90, for example.

The internet is awash with GS owners who have had replacement engines, ESA shocks etc. When did you last hear about Kawasaki or Yamaha engines failing? No doubt they are out there but it is very, very rare.

BMW are masters at ripping people off but people keep giving them money so why should they change anything.

As for chain drives, all my previous bikes had chains apart from a 1200GS LC ( New engine, knackered rear ESA shock, new final drive ) and all exceeded 20,000 miles without being changed. The Fazer 600 in my avatar has just had a new DID gold chain with new sprockets at 21000 miles which cost about £90 and even then there was still plenty of life left in the old chain and sprockets. A cheap chain oiler makes them last even longer.

As an addendum, I thought the 1250 boxer was supposed to be more refined than the old 1200. My 1200 always sounded like a bag of spanners in a drum but a mates 1250 GSA sounds very noisy at idle, not refined at all.

Based on experience, I disagree with everything from the second line...

Utter blinkered bollox .

You've never had a bike long enough or put enough miles on one to really know much about anything really :D

P.S. I had a chain fail on me, my 1971 BSA Gold Star SS.

You've never had a bike long enough or put enough miles on one to really know much about anything really :D

P.S. I had a chain fail on me, my 1971 BSA Gold Star SS.

Says a man who always changes his GS for a new one just before the warranty runs out .
Had my 950 over a decade . You had 5 GSs in that time . Bless :)

Knut I'm with you the guy in the video is a clueless idiot...

If only you had a chance to meet this “Idiot”, towering at 6’6” or something and shouting at you in Scotts lingo, you’d soon be very apologetic to call him an idiot.

I met him twice, once riding together, the guy can ride, as he was a rider with Metropolitan police, like with many forces across the globe, they are trained to ride fast for pursuit reasons and at same time do hell of allot other police related work…

By the way he owns a 1250GS HP

ae605a731c71654f452cb851e62192c5.jpg

Back
Top Bottom