Ideal Tent For An Iceland Trip

I just like asking questions for the things I don’t know the answer to. Nowt wrong with that. :thumb2

After all the advise you're seriously thinking of packing a 4 man tent ..... Great, party time :D

That four man tent would be fun on a trip with Viv’s Marquee.

Aah ok. Fairy nuff. I’m guessing you get regular weather reports whilst over there so have some idea of what’s coming?

I have an Iceland weather app which is checked at least twice a day and another which issues 'any other' travel warnings :)

Udders, let us know if/when you buy and what?

Whatever I get will have to accommodate the Exped MegaMat 10 LXW I bought earlier! :D
Gotta be comfy at night. :thumb2 I can deal with sleeping in daylight, wind, rain etc but I do like a comfy bed. Now, sleeping bags. :D Need to update my Snugpak Softie. :blast

You mean the tent that Ange and I had to tie to a spindly hedge in an attempt to stop it being blown back to uk :D

79af6494e48a1874f69849e0d2fedb08.jpg

Happy days. I think this is the west wing assembly on the left pannier and the east
wing was on the right side.

Viv you are a legend !

Well I’ve done it! :thumb2
Ordered myself a Hilleberg Kaitum 3 GT! :clap.

Ha ha you could have bought mine! Great tent and I've used one in Iceland...with my wife and loads of room to spare but......

You need some decent size FLAT real estate to pitch them, for one person it'll be freezing cold due to the sheer size of it and it weighs a ton.

If you're serious about coming to Iceland (with me) and you ask for advice, please don't completely disregard it.
You'll end up finding your GS is too heavy, you won't enjoy it and end up missing all the best bits and going by road, which has happened before :)

Ha ha you could have bought mine! Great tent and I've used one in Iceland...with my wife and loads of room to spare but......

You need some decent size FLAT real estate to pitch them, for one person it'll be freezing cold due to the sheer size of it and it weighs a ton.

If you're serious about coming to Iceland (with me) and you ask for advice, please don't completely disregard it.
You'll end up finding your GS is too heavy, you won't enjoy it and end up missing all the best bits and going by road, which has happened before :)
I didn’t think 4.1kgs was too heavy. :nenau Yes it’s big and fully appreciate the size and coldness but it’s not just for me to use. A nice warm sleeping bag is next on the list. :thumb2

What tent are you taking to Shetland? :D (I’ll keep an eye out for it)

I didn’t think 4.1kgs was too heavy. :nenau Yes it’s big and fully appreciate the size and coldness but it’s not just for me to use. A nice warm sleeping bag is next on the list. :thumb2

It'll be 5kg by the time you add a footprint...unless you want two huge and very wet vestibules :D

I have just looked at the Kaitum 3 GT...... that is huge, even when packed and bloody heavy. My NAMMATJ 2 GT is not small per-se but is ‘only’ 3.7 kgs. My friend’s NAMMATJ 3 GT packed surprisingly larger and was heavier still at 4.1 kg; looking at it, I was glad I didn’t have to cart it.

I was happy to trade off the 0.7 additional weight of the NAMMATJ 2 GT over the standard NAMMATJ just for the convenience of the vestibule.... but... I ride a 1600 and on good to reasonably good roads in Western Europe, not off-road in Iceland. If I were, I’d not be on my 1600 and definitely not be looking to cart the Kaitum 3 GT around for solo use, particularly not as an apparent virgin.

My advice, Udders.... get yourself to a good tent type shop, which will be opening up soon enough and look at some tents. Not least, look at and compare the bulk and weight of the packed tent. Then decide, after listening to Tim. I know from organising on-road jaunts that good advice from the organiser is well intentioned. They want everyone to have a good time, after all. Then imagine adding in an apparently big sleeping mat thing and feck knows what TOG of sleeping bag.... that’ll be more bulk and more weight.

e1ad1d62492287a44b3e344d4cd86481.png

Back
Top Bottom