Tourshell Jacket. Any good?

Bonzo

Reaction score
Been offered a brand new Tourshell jacket at a good price (I reckon - £250?) but havent tried one on.

I have experience with BMW gear so I know what size I need, but wondered how the jackets perform.

I bought a comfortshell jacket many years ago from this very site and its done me well to be fair, though its probably passed its best now. I never found it a 'comfortable' jacket to wear though. Sort of bit stiff. Not the warmest either.

Is the Tourshell a similar jacket to Comfortshell? It looks the same material.

I've had a tourshell suit for several years now. I really rate it for 3 season riding. I've worn it in 0c to 35c and felt comfortable. I'd happily have another

A good quality jacket these, you won't be disappointed.

Personally though, I always prefer a decent set of leathers in the summer, so keep these for Spring/Autumn (I'll pass when it comes to Winter riding these days)

I'm with you on the leathers squibb. I'd rather have an Atlantis jacket (size 54 if anyone is shifting one ;)), but theyr'e crazy dosh new.

Do you guys find the material a bit stiff & awkward? If its like the Comfortshell it just never seems to 'bed' in.

It took a few 'wears' for it to become a bit more supple but yes, still sort of 'stiff'. It isn't uncomfortable with it tho.

Do you guys find the material a bit stiff & awkward? If its like the Comfortshell it just never seems to 'bed' in.

The material is much softer than the Comfortshell and has BMW's own membrane.

For summer use, I have an Airflow jacket and riding jeans - leathers are much too hot.

Been offered a brand new Tourshell jacket at a good price (I reckon - £250?) but havent tried one on.

I have experience with BMW gear so I know what size I need, but wondered how the jackets perform.

I bought a comfortshell jacket many years ago from this very site and its done me well to be fair, though its probably passed its best now. I never found it a 'comfortable' jacket to wear though. Sort of bit stiff. Not the warmest either.

Is the Tourshell a similar jacket to Comfortshell? It looks the same material.

I have/had both. Comfortshell was made out of C-change fabric and Keprotec/Dynatec on elbow and back for abrasion, jacket was a bit stiff but the trousers are ok. There was only mesh liner so it was a summer jacket, but with a windproof jacket and a heated jacket was perfect at 3000m in the Alps.
Still have the suit, only Richa used this waterproof material and now Rokker. Much better than Goretex.
I purchased a second hand first generation ladies Tourshell suit for my son, he was 11 at the time. He loved the jacket, the fabric never went soft. He could use the liner as a casual fleece, it was waterproof. I gave the jacket to his friend Zac when he was doing his CBT. The suit is also very good at crashing. Zac hit a lamp post on a traffic island, the suit survived with minor abrasion, amazingly Zac also survived with not one bone broken. The massive back protector probably has something to do with him getting away without injury.

Attachments

• tour.jpg
    tour.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 231
Thanks for your words folks.

By way of an update, I've spent the weekend riding around in my new Tourshell jacket and I'm utterly delighted with it.

I can sum the experience up in nine words. This is the best motorcycle jacket I have ever bought. Ok ten.

No quilted liner Neil.

Nor did its predecessor, the Comfortshell. BMW have a long history of producing summer-weight waterproof suits (starting with something called the Light 'n Easy) and, unlike the Streetguard range. these did not have thermal linings.

Well my Tourshell does ;)
I know this is a photo of a ladies one but you get the idea. Bloody good liner it is too.

Attachments

• D301525D-B043-404F-AC20-9ED8E47BAE0D.jpeg
    D301525D-B043-404F-AC20-9ED8E47BAE0D.jpeg
    19.2 KB · Views: 84
Excellent jacket. Waterproof, breathable and with a removable quilted liner. My only quibble is ref design of the sleeve / hand closures. These rely on an elasticated stretch band which attaches by velcro to the outer part of the sleeve. Not the best. Overall though, 8/10.

Back
Top Bottom