Swap to twincam or LC? worth it?

There’s very little difference in performance between the 2008/9 MU and the 2010-13 TC. The TC is a bit more flexible, but it’s not a quantum leap forward like the LC.

I kept my 2009 MU for two years and I got rid of it as I found it a bit dull. I’ve had my 2014 LC since new and still love it. It’s a much better bike in all respects except maybe the gearbox in he first three gears :thumby:

I had several GS's from the early 1100's to the latest 2013 WC. I had a 2012 TC and was talked into taking the latest WC out for a test ride.

Naively I was seduced by it's slightly nimbler feel, maybe due to it having a lighter flywheel, and ended up swapping my well sorted TC.

One of my biggest biking mistakes. The TC was a well sorted bike with low mileage. The WC turned out to be nothing but a headache and after 16month's I was well pleased to get rid of it. I have not returned to BMW since.

Sorry to hear that, I’ve had& still have a few bikes, they’re all different, I was lucky with my first Wc a late 20113 model, never needed warranty except the heated grips were total crap, which Bmw never fixed. I now have a 2017 Rallye & it’s ace. I can only surmise the new 1250 will be excellent, I’m sure they tested the crap out of it as they now do a 3 year warranty.
Onwards & upwards as they say..

I have had similar considerations as the OP I have a 2006 GSA, with close to 60k on the clock which is very high for over here.

A few years ago i wanted to trade it for a new 2014 GSA LC but couldn't get a decent price for mine from the dealer so it all fell through, at the time i was quite gutted.

A friend let me test ride his 2014 LC GSA, It is a beautiful bike and has better acceleration to mine has a few things that would be handy like cruise control and paddle wheel. I was willing to part with about £9k plus my bike for one just like it at the time , that's a lot of money for a few (to my mind) minor improvements.

My bike does exactly what any new 1200 GSA can do, although may not quite have equal performance.
Its been and still is a fantastic bike, its very easy to maintain and i love it for me its a keeper.

On reflection the deal breaker I was so gutted about by the dealer did me a huge favour. The £9K is still in the bank and i still have an awesome bike.

I have tested them all owned two TC's and now ride a carb converted 1100 with ohlin shock. Most comfortable, reliable and lowest ownership cost but still the big smile GS riding experience. Worth £2.5k and almost no depreciation, satisfaction of servicing it myself. Riding lots of bike you just get used to whatever performance you've got and the 1100 has got enough for overtaking, cruising at 80'whatever you want.The difference in ride compared to the difference in cost for a new one is extravagance in the extreme.

I have tested them all owned two TC's and now ride a carb converted 1100 with ohlin shock. Most comfortable, reliable and lowest ownership cost but still the big smile GS riding experience. Worth £2.5k and almost no depreciation, satisfaction of servicing it myself. Riding lots of bike you just get used to whatever performance you've got and the 1100 has got enough for overtaking, cruising at 80'whatever you want.The difference in ride compared to the difference in cost for a new one is extravagance in the extreme.

No comment on the 1200s the OP is asking about?

No comment on the 1200s the OP is asking about?

If you are happy stick with it. Performance up grade to TC not significant in normal riding especially if you have had it remapped. Kick in power at 7000 rpm is not what Riding a GS is about. Better the devil you know, avoid transaction costs for no real benefit

WORTH IT?

I have owned 4 1200gs's and am on my second twin cam. I have ridden 3 waterheads and so far still prefer the twin cam. The waterheads are better dynamically for sure, but I feel more at home on what I have. Hard to explain, but it amounts to character I guess?

If you can find a good TC and can afford the change go for it.

The TC is the best of the hexhead bikes. Not by much but enough to be worth the additional costs over an 08/09 bike.

My wife has an LC, I have a TC.
The biggest difference for us is the ergonomics. At 194cm the LC feels very low to me and my knee hits the cylinder head when I put my foot down. It has more of a road bike seating position. The TC is much more like my old 1100 although again the ergonomics are slightly different and it’s not as comfortable - still all day comfortable not 48hrs straight comfy :thumb. The LC you sit in, the TC you sit on.
For my wife the LC is all day comfortable eg 7 hours riding with 1 x 10 min stop :thumby:

As for the engine well the TC is quicker than the 1100 but I only really notice it if overtaking on a single lane carriage way. The LC is quicker still but as always it depends on your riding style and ability weather this will come into play.

Hope this is helpful.
:beerjug:

Well op I think what you are happy with stick, my son in law has three bikes a k1600, also new, well last years lc gsa adventure, also a hp2 ( I think it’s the fast sports bike) tried them all the k1600 nice but clunky the lc adventure lovely but not a million miles from my gsa tc ( few he said it was near twenty grand with all the bits) well the hp2 sports bike whoa too hairy for my seventy three years. I’ve had countless ( well slight exaggeration) in my fifty plus years of biking but one thing I learnt from my old pops was contentment. Funny as a eighteen year old with family in Caithness bro and I used to bike there he with a velo venom and me with a Norton es2 those days stick in my memory as real adventure trips, wish I could go back in time. The Norton reminded me of Che,s ponderosa on his travels around South America I hope I’ve spelt his bike’s name right as I gave the book away.

Back
Top Bottom