Recovery of older bikes in the EU ... recommend me a provider please?

retroman

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
This has probably been discussed as nauseam but I thought it easier to start my own thread ...

My R1150GS is 20 years old and I'll never sell or part-ex it.

I recall reading somewhere that breakdown providers are in some cases refusing to repatriate older/lower value bikes in the event of a breakdown in Europe, preferring to write the bike off instead.

I've considered getting a second new bike and I've test ridden a few (R1250RT, Suzuki GSX 1000ST) but I am a GS man at heart and will keep coming back to the marque. Indeed, after the test rides I've ridden home on my 1150 thinking how much I prefer it:thumby: so it seems daft to have two GSes in the garage. Not to mention expensive.

So after all that, a simple question really:Is there a breakdown provider who will guarantee to repatriate to the UK from continental Europe?

TIA ...
Dave Retro

I think they all only guarantee to repatriate the bike if the cost is below UK market value, my Carol Nash policy covers up to £2.5k in costs. I'm not sure what happens if they decide it's not worth recovery due to cost and value equation, do they give you the bikes value?

I think they all only guarantee to repatriate the bike if the cost is below UK market value, my Carol Nash policy covers up to £2.5k in costs. I'm not sure what happens if they decide it's not worth recovery due to cost and value equation, do they give you the bikes value?

It's quite high mileage & looks a bit weather beaten as befits a 20 year old bike used in all weathers, although running like a sewing machine and no-expense-spared re:servicing, I have it insured for £2k.

I insure my 1200 GS for about 3k/4k nowadays.
Same as you. More of a sentimental thing than anything.

Never really looked into it, but operate under the assumption to have look after the shipment myself in case something happens. I already shipped it a couple of times (not for breakdowns).

Few, if any, insurers or recovery companies will indemnify an owner for the costs incurred in shipping a vehicle back, if that cost exceeds a fair market value for the vehicle. It would be financially stupid for them to do it; unless they were able to charge more premium, which I guess nobody would pay.

If the bike has a true sentimental value to you, make your own arrangements should the worse happen. If the bike really has a true value, far greater than the average fair market value, then talk to the insurer or recovery companies today. Doing it after the event will be too late.

Used to be a company called I think ‘Van der Meer’ or similar that did a trawl round for the insurers and picked up bikes around Europe for repatriation but only if it was economically viable for the insurers. Only time one of our ‘team’ damaged a bike to the point it couldn’t be ridden home the write off was agreed over the phone and the bike was stored in the hotel garage pending recovery. Months and months later it was still there incurring storage costs and the hotel owner bought it off the insurers and repaired it himself.

Few, if any, insurers or recovery companies will indemnify an owner for the costs incurred in shipping a vehicle back, if that cost exceeds a fair market value for the vehicle. It would be financially stupid for them to do it; unless they were able to charge more premium, which I guess nobody would pay.

If the bike has a true sentimental value to you, make your own arrangements should the worse happen. If the bike really has a true value, far greater than the average fair market value, then talk to the insurer or recovery companies today. Doing it after the event will be too late.

Yes that all makes sense. Regarding your last point, the former would apply, i.e. I will make my own arrangements.

Thanks for the input one & all; I'll be going to Europe whatever happens, er, he famously said ... :blast

Of more consequence perhaps are the costs associated with getting yourself back to home, without your bike, should it breakdown.

As your breakdown policy does not cover the bike due to its age, it follows that any subsequent costs you might incur to get yourself home won’t be covered either. Similarly, your recovery insurer / provider probably won’t even give you any assistance in even arranging anything. In short, you’ll be on your own at the top of the mountain.

Of course that is not the end of the world. Thousands of bods travelled around quite happily before recovery insurance and mobile phones were even invented. They all made it back.

Of more consequence perhaps are the costs associated with getting yourself back to home, without your bike, should it breakdown.

As your breakdown policy does not cover the bike due to its age, it follows that any subsequent costs you might incur to get yourself home won’t be covered either. Similarly, your recover insurer / provider probably won’t even give you any assistance in even arranging anything. In short, you’ll be on your own at the top of the mountain.

Of course that is not the end of the world. Thousands of bods travelled around quite happily before recovery insurance (and mobile phones) was even invented. They all made it back.

:thumb2

Mines been over Abergwesyn a few time��

Not as much fun as the GS though.

My Brother could not get recovery insurance for his 20 year old V Rap, so he just made sure it was all serviced and up to the trip through to here and back again, approx 3K miles, so no biggie really, he is currently in Spain enjoying himself.

I did say to him that if it breaks down you are probably more able to get it repaired or repair it yourself, stuff in Europe is easier than it is in the UK in my experience and cheaper...Also people are more willing to help, I would rather break down in Europe than the UK.

Last couple of trips I made in my Navara which was 16-18 yrs old I did without breakdown/recovery insurance...Stuff rarely breaks down if it is looked after in my long experience of all kinds of vehicles.

Plus....I have faith!

My Brother could not get recovery insurance for his 20 year old V Rap, so he just made sure it was all serviced and up to the trip through to here and back again, approx 3K miles, so no biggie really, he is currently in Spain enjoying himself.

I did say to him that if it breaks down you are probably more able to get it repaired or repair it yourself, stuff in Europe is easier than it is in the UK in my experience and cheaper...Also people are more willing to help, I would rather break down in Europe than the UK.

Last couple of trips I made in my Navara which was 16-18 yrs old I did without breakdown/recovery insurance...Stuff rarely breaks down if it is looked after in my long experience of all kinds of vehicles.

Plus....I have faith!

That's all good to know. My bike is serviced regularly & I always get it looked at thoroughly before a long trip. So I also have faith!

Uncle Albert (rip) once pranged his bike (1150GS) somewhere in europe and they wouldn't recover it due to the cost versus value.
So he hired a van, picked it up and recovered it himself.

I called my bank, Barclays. Travel insurance and RAC cover in UK and Europe in any vehicle for me and the wife, and my 02 1150R. £12 a month

RAC - cover bikes over 20 years old for EU breakdown…

Expensive though.. I paid £95 for a week earlier this month…

But… cheaper then Autoroute recovery….

Back
Top Bottom