Post Brexit - Green card

Status
Not open for further replies.
ERS have now decided that I am no longer to be identified as Miss Wapping.

So, I now have a complete set of Green Cards, valid for the duration of my Motor policy, ie until late April 2022. The travel restrictions are slowly being lifted into Europe; bring it on, as they say.

And as a bikermate bonus, the latest version sent by ERS are indeed green, not that that troubles me greatly.

Lucky me, I am still a citizen of EU, with indefinite right to stay in the UK...

Having said that, I have ordered my “Green Card” yesterday for my travels to Spain in September and gave been told to sit tight and wait, as it can take apparently up-to arrive

You are NOT welcome here! You are a thief and a scrounger, coming to feed off the riches of the UK and off the sweat of the honest British (English) working man. I bet you were given a house and money when you arrived, as all scrounging foreigners are, my mate says and it must be true ‘cos I read it here, too.

Two months for a green card to arrive? Order it and then go via a very slow boat, would be my suggestion.

You are NOT welcome here! You are a thief and a scrounger, coming to feed off the riches of the UK and off the sweat of the honest British (English) working man. I bet you were given a house and money when you arrived, as all scrounging foreigners are, my mate says and it must be true ‘cos I read it here, too.

Two months for a green card to arrive? Order it and then go via a very slow boat, would be my suggestion.

have you been snooping on me? ,

It’ll be a fast one on the way out, as I’ll be tucked up in bed with early morning arrival, but will be taking Slow boat back indeed.

ERS have now decided that I am no longer to be identified as Miss Wapping.

So, I now have a complete set of Green Cards, valid for the duration of my Motor policy, ie until late April 2022. The travel restrictions are slowly being lifted into Europe; bring it on, as they say.

And as a bikermate bonus, the latest version sent by ERS are indeed green, not that that troubles me greatly.

Now all you need to do is provide proof of residence for your trip! (Maybe, not too sure on that one).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Now all you need to do is provide proof of residence for your trip! (Maybe, not too sure on that one).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

only france, just tell them your not stopping but just passing through on way to Belgium, Netherlands etc not sure how they are going to deal with that

The “two month” wait for a green card is over! It seem I had one emailed to me last night.

That took 3 days in total.

That was never necessary. Your UK insurance was always valid for legal purposes in all countries of the EU.

Fortunately that's not the case anymore and we now have the sovereign obligation to ask our insurers for permission.

Like having to ask for pillion cover now which was always part and parcel of all fully comp; it may even have been TPFT also; they've been stacking the hoops to jump through long before Brexit. I did say i was only fairly sure. I've got a box full of old polices going back to the 80s; i'am pretty sure if i can be arsed to sift through them i could find something of comedy value; and some green cards in there well before brexit i think.

Like having to ask for pillion cover now which was always part and parcel of all fully comp; it may even have been TPFT also; they've been stacking the hoops to jump through long before Brexit. I did say i was only fairly sure. I've got a box full of old polices going back to the 80s; i'am pretty sure if i can be arsed to sift through them i could find something of comedy value; and some green cards in there well before brexit i think.

Restrictions on pillions, were introduced by insurers in order to reduce premiums. Reduced premiums are welcomed by bikermates as it reduces the rip-off factor.

Yes, Green Cards were required in the past, for travel outside of the UK into mainland Europe and beyond. But, the need for them vanished (at least for the EU countries and some nominated others) when the Freedom of Services provision was adopted throughout the EU and the nominated countries. That provision (privilege, would be a better word) ceased for the UK on 01 January 2021, with Brexit. From then on, bods and /or their UK insurer have to bugger around getting them, in order to comply with bureaucracy. Of course Brexit was passed off (at least in part) as a method to reduce bureaucratic procedures.... well that was a lie.

Restrictions on pillions, were introduced by insurers in order to reduce premiums. Reduced premiums are welcomed by bikermates as it reduces the rip-off factor.

Yes, Green Cards were required in the past, for travel outside of the UK into mainland Europe and beyond. But, the need for them vanished (at least for the EU countries and some nominated others) when the Freedom of Services provision was adopted throughout the EU and the nominated countries. That provision (privilege, would be a better word) ceased for the UK on 01 January 2021, with Brexit. From then on, bods and /or their UK insurer have to bugger around getting them, in order to comply with bureaucracy. Of course Brexit was passed off (at least in part) as a method to reduce bureaucratic procedures.... well that was a lie.

So why could'nt we be a nominated country;; unless it's more about just coming the cnut because they can. How do the foreigners stand with their insurance over here;; or have we adopted the coming the cnut stance also.

So why could'nt we be a nominated country;; unless it's more about just coming the cnut because they can. How do the foreigners stand with their insurance over here;; or have we adopted the coming the cnut stance also.

The UK chose (by a narrow but absolute margin) to leave the EU, not the other way around. Foreigners from within the EU and the nominated countries, will have to follow the UK’s requirements; that is what independence means. What those requirements are, I don’t know, not least as I am not a Frenchman, a Spaniard, Swedish, German, Norwegian or Swiss.

To become a nominated country requires adherence to rules by way of mutual reciprocity. Through Brexit, the UK declared that they do not like mutual reciprocity, ie. we want to be fully independent and make our own rules. Therefore the tedious bureaucracy of the Green Card comes back to life. We can only be thankful that UK insurers didn’t just sit back on their fat cat backsides and say, “Tough shite, mate, you voted for this shite, why should we be arsed to put something in place?” Which, had they done so, would have fecked at a stroke any UK driving beyond the Channel or from Northern Ireland into the south.... or meant buying an insurance cover at the border, just like going to Russia, for example.

Yes, Brexit is a pain in the arse. I now have to work for a Belgian employer, though I am based in London. This is because I deal with EU domiciled reinsurance business. My employer has to channel (passport) EU business through our Belgian office, just to get it into London. This means we have to declare higher revenue (our brokerage) in Belgium, ie. we now pay more tax to the Belgian authorities and less to the UK tax man, let alone the ball ache of now being regulated by the FCA in London and the Belgian equivalent, whose rules differ. That is all because of Brexit, simple as that. More bureaucracy, more tax paid to the feckin’ Belgians... now tell me whose genius idea this was, as it sure as hell wasn’t mine.

[mention]Wapping [/mention] No idea who’s bright idea that was, but I never understood from day one, what benefit would that achieve.

Me being in the manufacturing business, the cost of raw materials has gone up (and still does so) by some considerable margins since January. Not to mention the shortage of stuff due to pandemic.
It is awful feeling of having to explain your self to a customer why the Estimate and the Quote differ by a few grand. Change of specifications had a little play in it too but still, I now pay on average 30% more for raw materials.

The distributors are working their stock based on allowance from the supplying factory. If I was to order some materials it could be a couple of weeks lead time to have it delivered. Where before, it would’ve been a couple of days. So now I am part of that “supplying allowance”.

Pandemic, has caused job losses for some, and those who have managed to retain their jobs by being able to work from home, have saved up the commuting allowance. Still, I’ve lost a couple of jobs that I have priced up last year, and had to adjust accordingly this year before going ahead with it. For some people £500+ is allot of money…..

Of course none of this will bother somebody who is:

A. Retired *

B. Has no links with the EU

C. Has no desire to visit the EU or even to maybe go abroad at all

D. Should they want to go, they certainly wouldn’t want to drive there from the UK, but really wants to wave a blue coloured travel document, as that alone will show ‘em who’s boss

E. Wants to pretend it is still 1945 or 1845 or even 945

* Until that is EVskij, who until then has been a useful foreign worker (so just about tolerable) presents them with an increase on his estimate, after which he will morf into some rip-off bleedin’ foreigner, taking work away from the working man, born and bred in the UK and can feck off to wherever it was he came from.

On original topic, received my green card today (yes it’s green and yes it’s free) but as well as the car and the usual vehicle documents needed in this new world I’ll also need an IDP.

Of course none of this will bother somebody who is:

A. Retired *

B. Has no links with the EU

C. Has no desire to visit the EU or even to maybe go abroad at all

D. Should they want to go, they certainly wouldn’t want to drive there from the UK, but really wants to wave a blue coloured travel document, as that alone will show ‘em who’s boss

E. Wants to pretend it is still 1945 or 1845 or even 945

* Until that is EVskij, who until then has been a useful foreign worker (so just about tolerable) presents them with an increase on his estimate, after which he will morf into some rip-off bleedin’ foreigner, taking work away from the working man, born and bred in the UK and can feck off to wherever it was he came from.

Can’t argue with any of that*! Man does know what’s what.

*once a foreigner, will always be a foreigner, even if one does get hold of the blue coloured travel document.
Good job I quite often get mistaken for a Kiwi or Sarf African, rather than Eastern European Thieving so and so. Apparently I do sound like them

On original topic, received my green card today (yes it’s green and yes it’s free) but as well as the car and the usual vehicle documents needed in this new world I’ll also need an IDP.

Don’t forget all the other “slight inconveniences” to which we now have to conform. The world has moved on since we joined the EEC/EU - international security and all that.

The individual member states will have different rules for Third Countries which all add to the “slight inconveniences”

Won’t bother the brexit voting passportless pensioners though. 😡

Can’t argue with any of that*! Man does know what’s what.

*once a foreigner, will always be a foreigner, even if one does get hold of the blue coloured travel document.
Good job I quite often get mistaken for a Kiwi or Sarf African, rather than Eastern European Thieving so and so. Apparently I do sound like them

Funny that, my Portuguese mate sounds like a Russian :nenau

I call him Boris :D

Funny that, my Portuguese mate sounds like a Russian :nenau

I call him Boris :D

There you have it, we all foreigners to a degree . If not in person, then from ancestry.

I’ve spent nearly half of my life in this country, less than than in the country of birth (it was flight destination in latest news ), 3 years in Ukraine, at my late nana’s on my mother’s side. 3.5 years in the country that caused last WW. Oh yes, almost forgot to mention, my wife and partner of many years, despite holding the latest version of blue travel document, is half American, being born here but to an American mother. She never lived in the states. But rest of her family do.

So these Brexitiers, might be British citizens from birth or by other means, but how British are they really? I bet there is a tiny percentage that are truly British from long way away. Most of them will be descendants of when the expanse of British Empire allowed anybody and everybody to fornicate left right and centre.

The well know fact, that the current monarch and her late husband are both considered to be foreigners. Yes I did say it. So what?

Wapping is correct in saying that majority who voted are OAP’s. Who would rather prefer to rock up to a holiday park in Devon or Cornwall in their wobbly boxes*, rather than giving a go at going abroad.

*while impending a progress that biker-mates want to get on with, not to mention poor cagers going about their daily business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom