Scotland tour 2021

Great as it is (although I'm at work and not riding in it) it's still a long way off 1976!

I bought a new Honda CB750F1 Supersports in London in April and rode it every day and didn't get wet until late August, at the earliest!

Great as it is (although I'm at work and not riding in it) it's still a long way off 1976!

I bought a new Honda CB750F1 Supersports in London in April and rode it every day and didn't get wet until late August, at the earliest!

Early days yet, Iain! Forecast is for the weather to break soon but who knows ... :thumb2

:beerjug:

I'm amazed you're old enough to have had a CB750 in '76! :D

And I won the long distance award at the H.O.C. at Donnington circuit when I popped in on my way home to Stenhousemuir from London!

I used to be able to "kick-start" it with my right hand too - I was young and stupid, obviously!

Welcome. This has been mentioned on the forum before. Gives a pretty good basis for touring the country and includes the roads I mentioned plus many others.

My one bit of advice to folks is to think east - west and not north - south! The NC500 is spectacular but I would avoid it at peak season and enjoy the relative quiet of the borders and Galloway. There are fantastic roads and wonderful places to visit - from the wilds of Glentrool and the Isle of Whithorn to the the Dalveen Pass and Leadhills, St Mary's Loch, Scott's View near Melrose and a wee dip into Northumbria to Lindisfarne. And if you want a ferry, you can add Arran into the mix.

Weather wise, this has probably been the longest spell of very hot weather for a long time. Not far off 1976, I'd guess? Sometimes a tad too hot for the bike! Not that I'm complaining!

Would agree ,having spend last weekend visiting some old haunts around the Border regions.

Attachments

• 20210716_130544.jpg
    20210716_130544.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 354
  • 20210718_091207.jpg
    20210718_091207.jpg
    263.2 KB · Views: 345
  • 20210717_174410.jpg
    20210717_174410.jpg
    250.4 KB · Views: 357
  • 20210716_145644.jpg
    20210716_145644.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 358
We then rode through spectacular Glen Coe where we decided to take another detour off route to find the infamous Skyfall Aston Martin picture location, which it turns out is Glen Etive, we were in the right place but whether we got the pic at the right location is doubtful, it's a long way down a poorly made single track road with passing places, doubtless there are experts on here who can point out the error of our ways :nenau

IMG_4982-X2.jpg

:

:thumb2

f07467c43e009aedec1e0f082dd5f2bc.jpg

7bc411bf9d88e9d18ea29091b36d1e03.jpg

I'm 680 miles from Scotland..... you want to try that slog

Funnily enough I've done it that way too.

The roads get emptier as you head north and it's the opposite heading south to the Chunnel.

Welcome. This has been mentioned on the forum before. Gives a pretty good basis for touring the country and includes the roads I mentioned plus many others.

My one bit of advice to folks is to think east - west and not north - south! The NC500 is spectacular but I would avoid it at peak season and enjoy the relative quiet of the borders and Galloway. There are fantastic roads and wonderful places to visit - from the wilds of Glentrool and the Isle of Whithorn to the the Dalveen Pass and Leadhills, St Mary's Loch, Scott's View near Melrose and a wee dip into Northumbria to Lindisfarne. And if you want a ferry, you can add Arran into the mix.

Weather wise, this has probably been the longest spell of very hot weather for a long time. Not far off 1976, I'd guess? Sometimes a tad too hot for the bike! Not that I'm complaining!

We avoided the NC500 thinking it would be very busy, the bits we did were surprisingly free of traffic :thumby:

Don’t forget if you’re short of company I’m usually available!:D

Will try and remember that Rich :thumby:

Ah so we were about right then Sean will be pleased :comfort

I'm 680 miles from Scotland..... you want to try that slog

That's a fair old schlep up, break it down into two halves it's well worth the effort :bow

To round this trip up, Day 6;
We stayed in Prestwick the previous night, the only part of Britain Elvis Presley ever visited I was informed uh hu :bow
After a good breakfast we loaded up once more and set off along the coast passing through Trump town or Turnberry as it appears on the map, no pics but it looks completely out of place :D Then we headed away from the coast and South West Coast 300 towards the Galloway forest park passing through Barrhill and onto Newton Stewart, there is some great riding to be had here, well surfaced and endless curve after curve, this area is well worth a visit in it's own right and worth bearing in mind for a future visit. Just one pic today at a village store/Post Office/Cafe
IMG_4980-X2.jpg

We followed the coast road towards Gretna Green and from there on it was motorway down to a point just South of The Lake District, a means to an end to facilitate a shorter ride home the next day (Thursday) of around 4 hours as opposed to 6 hours on the way up. We stopped the night in a place Called Ferraris Country Hotel in Longridge, facilities were good, the waitress service in the garden was excellent and soon the trip was done, all that remained for us was a slog down the M6 M5 M50 home.

Thanks to all the guys who made the trip a memorable one, thank you to Scotland for providing the hospitality and warmth, the good weather and just for being awesome :bow

Is it right to call a 950cc bike a "little bike" ? In this company it was down between 250-300cc but it performed fantastically, sipping fuel, proving comfortable on the long stretches and thoroughly entertaining in the twisties, I love this bike :okay

IMG_4866-XL.jpg

I'll finish up with a Sunset pic taken by Sean in Mallaig looking back towards Skye

IMG_4957-XL.jpg

To round this trip up, Day 6;
We stayed in Prestwick the previous night, the only part of Britain Elvis Presley ever visited I was informed uh hu :bow
After a good breakfast we loaded up once more and set off along the coast passing through Trump town or Turnberry as it appears on the map, no pics but it looks completely out of place :D Then we headed away from the coast and South West Coast 300 towards the Galloway forest park passing through Barrhill and onto Newton Stewart, there is some great riding to be had here, well surfaced and endless curve after curve, this area is well worth a visit in it's own right and worth bearing in mind for a future visit. Just one pic today at a village store/Post Office/Cafe
IMG_4980-X2.jpg

We followed the coast road towards Gretna Green and from there on it was motorway down to a point just South of The Lake District, a means to an end to facilitate a shorter ride home the next day (Thursday) of around 4 hours as opposed to 6 hours on the way up. We stopped the night in a place Called Ferraris Country Hotel in Longridge, facilities were good, the waitress service in the garden was excellent and soon the trip was done, all that remained for us was a slog down the M6 M5 M50 home.

Thanks to all the guys who made the trip a memorable one, thank you to Scotland for providing the hospitality and warmth, the good weather and just for being awesome :bow

Is it right to call a 950cc bike a "little bike" ? In this company it was down between 250-300cc but it performed fantastically, sipping fuel, proving comfortable on the long stretches and thoroughly entertaining in the twisties, I love this bike :okay

IMG_4866-XL.jpg

I'll finish up with a Sunset pic taken by Sean in Mallaig looking back towards Skye

IMG_4957-XL.jpg

Nice report and pics
Thanks for adding it, so we can all share in the memories of a good time

You had some lovely weather. Tomorrow it is our turn to head north and cross the border into the unknown :D

:bow That last picture, the sun setting beyond Skye, is glorious. :thumb2

Many thanks for sharing your ride with us via short tales and ace pictures :thumby:

SteveT

:dragon:

You had some lovely weather. Tomorrow it is our turn to head north and cross the border into the unknown :D

Hope the weather is holding out for you :flag

:bow That last picture, the sun setting beyond Skye, is glorious. :thumb2

Many thanks for sharing your ride with us via short tales and ace pictures :thumby:

SteveT

:dragon:

It's not bad for a Samsung phone pic......;) and you're welcome I'm ready for the next trip now, it will have to be good to top this one :bow

Back
Top Bottom