Is this the end of touring?

When my Brothers Bike was stolen in the Peak District from outside a hotel, the underwriters wanted proof he had a garage at home (some 200 miles away)........

When my Brothers Bike was stolen in the Peak District from outside a hotel, the underwriters wanted proof he had a garage at home (some 200 miles away)........

A perfectly reasonable question on their behalf….and why it never pays to lie when arranging insurance cover.

Reading through the small print of the Bennetts policy.

Compulsory Garaging RequirementSection 1 of the policy booklet will not cover you for theft or attempted theft of your motorcycle unless, between 10.00 pm and06.00am it is kept in a locked building or garage whilst at your place of residence or at another address which has been specificallyagreed with us

Does mean I have to get their agreement in writing before I tour next year? will they charge me each time to ammend the policy?

You have probably told your insurance company that you have a garage at your home address, that is where your bike must be kept. If, for example, you are rebuilding your garage, you may have told them that your bike will be locked in a mates garage. that address would be agreed with the insurance company. Simples. You can now enjoy the Alps worry free.

You have probably told your insurance company that you have a garage at your home address, that is where your bike must be kept. If, for example, you are rebuilding your garage, you may have told them that your bike will be locked in a mates garage. that address would be agreed with the insurance company. Simples. You can now enjoy the Alps worry free.

I said that already

They told me today as I’m going away I notified them I’m allowed 30 days per year but must contact them prior to going very helpful with me

IS there not some other wording in the policy that says garaging only applies within 1/4m or 1/2m of your residence? So, if you want to leave the bike out.......just park it 5 streets away!

I had a car that i regularly kept at my mums house and the insurance company said no need to notify unless it was for more than 60days

I guess that is one of the benefits of having a tracker fitted.

In a claims dispute with your insurers the last known whereabouts of your bike prior to the theft occurring could easily be proven.

Said tracker may even lead to the recovery of the bike.

(...........Casually sits back and waits for the naysayers complaining of battery drain, expense of subscription fees etc).

I guess that is one of the benefits of having a tracker fitted.

In a claims dispute with your insurers the last known whereabouts of your bike prior to the theft occurring could easily be proven.

Said tracker may even lead to the recovery of the bike.

(...........Casually sits back and waits for the naysayers complaining of battery drain, expense of subscription fees etc).

As it’s now more than an hour and 10 minutes since you ‘casually sat back’ I’d better say something negative so you can get up again….you probably need a piss or have some on the boil…

The yearly subscription is a rip off and the insurance companies should just believe all claimants of the Bikermate fraternity as bikers are good people, salt of the earth, a community…no, a brotherhood that all stick to the biker code (whatever the f&@k that is, is that the Tourette’s type nod approaching Bikermates give you as you pass??).

There, you can go for that piss now. You might as well get a cuppa as well while your up.

That is why I don't insure the bikes. Just so much less hassle and all these worries that keeps you up at night.

Back
Top Bottom