Pannier lock lying on garage floor!

Kaybe

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just washed the bike and left panniers in sunlight to dry off.
Now then I noticed that the pannier lock was out its housing and a few of the components lying on the garage floor.

Found all that I think I am going to find, springs for all the sleeves expect the end one and it won't go back as I suspect it is bent?
What do you think.

The Bike is still under warranty so will have a chat with Bmw in due course.
But was hoping I could fix myself.

Attachments

• IMG_1121.jpg
    IMG_1121.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 554
It is bent, as you suspect. The legs should be parallel. The wafers are made of brass and not difficult to straighten although it might break before getting to the straight position. You could probably get away with half a leg on that side because the spring acts on the other side.
I imagine your dealer will have plenty of spares so probably not worth the risk of a dodgy wafer becoming stuck in the barrel or lock housing.

Someone’s been at it. Maybe to recode the locks if bought second hand? JJH

The plate in the picture looks different to the ones I've ever seen. On all the locks I've worked on (true, not an insane number of locks).

The plates I've seen have all been like a rectangle, I.e not sort of U shaped, but rather the sidewalls are connected also at the bottom.

The design may of course been changed, but at least there must be a spring.
Anyway, as far as I can see, there is only one solution: Contact the dealer.... :aidan

The retaining disc is always open at the bottom, it’s to stop someone using a probe to push into the key way and pull down the retainer and remove the barrel.
The drive on the back of the barrel has some damage that can’t occur in normal use, looks like it’s been gripped with something and filed maybe.

Found the spring, it was mangled.
Aye call to the dealer as under warranty will suffice.
Will have all the locks checked, cleaned etc
Thanks for comments etc..

The retaining disc is always open at the bottom, it’s to stop someone using a probe to push into the key way and pull down the retainer and remove the barrel.
The drive on the back of the barrel has some damage that can’t occur in normal use, looks like it’s been gripped with something and filed maybe.

Thank you. Learning something new every day :D :okay

Lock

Here you go, the locking wafer (or tumbler) is the one at the point of the lower pen. This is the one that locks the barrel into the housing and stops it falling out.

Attachments

• DF2B631C-73A2-4AEC-A193-4C973E56245F.jpg
    DF2B631C-73A2-4AEC-A193-4C973E56245F.jpg
    234.2 KB · Views: 265
  • 0343468D-D59F-4E63-B5E3-8ED13E79C06A.jpg
    0343468D-D59F-4E63-B5E3-8ED13E79C06A.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 263
The bent piece is the locking pin
I lost one in Europe last yr and fitted one but tried before our tour this yr and it kept coming out
I took the lock out and scraped all round the edge with a screwdriver
Was fine on our 2 week trip and stayed in

I had a similar issue with one of my locks, as I withdrew the key after unlocking it, the complete lock came out with the key. Springs and wafers scattered on the floor. Managed to find them all though. It still has a habit of wanting to come out with the key, it is as if the locking wafer does not hold the lock in place.

Found this video on how to recode the lock if you do not have the info for the wafers.

IF you code your own barrels - write the wafer numbers in the handbook.
That way if you purchase / replace a top box or varios at a later date, no faffing for wafers

I've been having exactly the same problem, i.e. the barrel coming out when the key is in it. As has been said that's the end locking wafer that's bent, you can get the other coded wafers from the dealer along with the springs as they will have spares from previous locks. Unfortunately they are unlikely to have the locking wafer as there's only one per barrel set.

If its under warranty get them to sort it, if not, it will need a new barrel to get the locking wafer. A new barrel with all the wafers is circa £30, having just bought a new one.

What i wouldn't do if your buying a new barrel yourself is just fit it without seeing if there's also another issue that's causing it as it will just repeat. There can be a couple of problems from what i found with mine that cause either a stiff lock, difficult to remove the key, and/or the barrel falling out.

Some folk get all the luck:rolleyes:
I have a topbox cluttering my garage, from a 1250 RT that I want to shift on. I've been trying to remove the key barrel for ages, following the instructions on Youtube, but it has defied me all along. I should've kept a copy of the spare key....

If they are unlocked, can’t you just reach around the back to get the lock wafer pushed in?

Back
Top Bottom