Post Brexit - Green card

Status
Not open for further replies.
There you have it, we all foreigners to a degree . If not in person, then from ancestry.

I’ve spent nearly half of my life in this country, less than than in the country of birth (it was flight destination in latest news ), 3 years in Ukraine, at my late nana’s on my mother’s side. 3.5 years in the country that caused last WW. Oh yes, almost forgot to mention, my wife and partner of many years, despite holding the latest version of blue travel document, is half American, being born here but to an American mother. She never lived in the states. But rest of her family do.

So these Brexitiers, might be British citizens from birth or by other means, but how British are they really? I bet there is a tiny percentage that are truly British from long way away. Most of them will be descendants of when the expanse of British Empire allowed anybody and everybody to fornicate left right and centre.

The well know fact, that the current monarch and her late husband are both considered to be foreigners. Yes I did say it. So what?

Wapping is correct in saying that majority who voted are OAP’s. Who would rather prefer to rock up to a holiday park in Devon or Cornwall in their wobbly boxes*, rather than giving a go at going abroad.

*while impending a progress that biker-mates want to get on with, not to mention poor cagers going about their daily business.

Well that is an interesting ancestry.

You summed up the average brexiter quite well.

Old, insular, introverted and so selfish they couldn't give a fuck about the future of their offspring or anyone else.

Days of the Empire are long gone and won't return (thank goodness).

I note that France has now fucked us off - along with the Germans. UK ..... personae non grata.

There you have it, we all foreigners to a degree . If not in person, then from ancestry.

Absolutely

Especially the British, even the ones whose families have always been British since forever, like me, a quick DNA test will almost certainly turn up a few bits of Scandinavian, Celt, Italian or whatever else mixed in there

My father started to trace the paternal side of our family tree. He got to 1700 something or other, when it looked as if it might be veering towards Wales, so he immediately stopped.

My father started to trace the paternal side of our family tree. He got to 1700 something or other, when it looked as if it might be veering towards Wales, so he immediately stopped.

so you could be related to Henry V or Dai y Defaid? You will never know.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4RwyPDPlFA8" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So these Brexitiers,

I had the misfortune to engage with a ex prospective UKIP candidate. It must be a mental disease, in the 10 minute conversation after we finished our business the subject of: COVID (a Cabal is running the show, Chinese etc), Hitler was misunderstood, Economy/Banking (Cabal is running the show, Nigel was not interested , Boris has sold us out (Cabal...), vaccination (Stats are wrong, Cabal...). Now one thing was apparent and a name of a company was popping up all the time in the conversation: GOOGLE!:blast
For him if you Google such and such you will discover the truth...bless him:D

I had the misfortune to engage with a ex prospective UKIP candidate. It must be a mental disease, in the 10 minute conversation after we finished our business the subject of: COVID (a Cabal is running the show, Chinese etc), Hitler was misunderstood, Economy/Banking (Cabal is running the show, Nigel was not interested , Boris has sold us out (Cabal...), vaccination (Stats are wrong, Cabal...). Now one thing was apparent and a name of a company was popping up all the time in the conversation: GOOGLE!:blast
For him if you Google such and such you will discover the truth...bless him:D

obviously too fucking stupid to be breathing ?????

obviously too fucking stupid to be breathing ?????

People with believes are not inherently stupid, I just never come across someone who is borderline fanatical about everything. I suppose if you mingle with like minded people you seem normal, social media has a lot to answer to this phenomenon.

just so you realize that it is illegal to ride a French plated bike in the uk if your a UK resident? It can be seized.

@bowser - I have been trying to find the legislation on this as I am getting contradictory advice. Could you guide me towards it pls? The general consensus (partially informed I admit) is that it is OK to drive an EU registered car in the UK by a UK resident for 6 months. It would make sense but I realise assuming logic is dangerous! Many thanks

It is against the law to drive a forigen registered vehicle in the uk if a uk resident (note its residency that is the important point not nationality) the only exceptions are if it is a hire or company owned vehicle, or it is a import and is in the process of being imported (ie you have stared the process, have an appointment for inspection etc)

The 6 month thing is if you are NOT a permeant uk resident, so visiting for 6 months then drive fine, once 6 months is up OR you become a uk resident then you cant drive a non uk reg vehicle in the UK.

The legislation actually applies right across Europe, used not to be enforced, with the addition of the ex Warsaw pact countries into the EU it became a massive problem with people bring their cars over and driving them on the overseas plates, effectively avoiding the need for uk insurance, mot etc.

We would do a check, if the driver had a uk driving record, a job in the uk, paid council tax, paid income tax etc ie proof of residency then it would get seized.

here is a good site with all the information https://katsgoneglobal.com/how-to-drive-a-foreign-car-in-the-uk/

Thank you. Very helpful and very clear. Cheers

Interesting (or not) until the need for a Green Card is waived again, some countries * require a separate Green Card for any trailer towed and for the vehicle on the trailer. So, a motorbike towed on a trailer behind a car, would require three Green Cards in all. Equity Red Star (ERS) have just issued three separate Green Cards for a friend of mine, towing his vintage car to Germany.

There again, the chances of being pulled over for a document check are pretty small, so some will no doubt wing it.

* Germany, for example.

It is against the law to drive a forigen registered vehicle in the uk if a uk resident (note its residency that is the important point not nationality) the only exceptions are if it is a hire or company owned vehicle, or it is a import and is in the process of being imported (ie you have stared the process, have an appointment for inspection etc)

The 6 month thing is if you are NOT a permeant uk resident, so visiting for 6 months then drive fine, once 6 months is up OR you become a uk resident then you cant drive a non uk reg vehicle in the UK.

The legislation actually applies right across Europe, used not to be enforced, with the addition of the ex Warsaw pact countries into the EU it became a massive problem with people bring their cars over and driving them on the overseas plates, effectively avoiding the need for uk insurance, mot etc.

We would do a check, if the driver had a uk driving record, a job in the uk, paid council tax, paid income tax etc ie proof of residency then it would get seized.

here is a good site with all the information https://katsgoneglobal.com/how-to-drive-a-foreign-car-in-the-uk/

A friend of mine ran into this when riding his Nepalese registered and number plated Enfield around in London. Eventually he was ‘persuaded’ to book it in for official import.

Received a email from the AA today, green cards are NOT required for travel in the EU

As travelling is starting to open up again, we wanted to keep you updated on the latest developments if you’re planning to drive your car in the EU.

The European Commission has announced that from 2 August 2021, drivers will no longer need a Green Card to show proof of insurance.

From this date, if you’re driving your own vehicle in the EU, Andorra, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Serbia and Switzerland, your car insurance documents will be sufficient.

With your policy, you’re covered for up to 90 days in these countries with the same level of cover that you have in the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom