1150 gsa service tips? :) 53k

steele01

Reaction score
Hi everyone hope we are all well :)

I'm just working my way through my new to my 1150GSA Factory none abs from 2004. She's currently at 53k miles and I've got a few questions that I've been compiling a list over for the last few days.
Currently waiting on the Service discs to turn up at BM which is taking forever then I'll have to borrow a computer from a family member to get at them I must be the only person in my early 30s with a full compliment off Whitworth spanners and no laptop lol
So thought I'd ask a few questions while I'm waiting so I can get a few bit's on order.

The last two services were an annual at Reynolds last year and a bigger service by Steve at Rainbow Workshop at 51k miles which I've got the paperwork for where she had pads a rear disc and an Odyssey battery.

I'm gonna brake the service down into smaller bits and do them as funds allow.

First is the oils and engine filter, Looking at Putoline Boxer 4 15-50 and Putloline 80w-90 heavy gear oil which is GL5.

Just to double check dot 4 for the clutch? (according to the lid on the res)

Next I've got the slightest of play in the FD Pivot bearings so gonna see if I can adjust them was going to order the laser tool but it's out of stock so gonna have a go at making one from a socket :) (ive got a heat gun already and was looking at getting a temp probe)

Looking through the paperwork I can't see any mention of the fuel filter being done so was considering doing that, (I'm gonna pop Steve a message to see if he did it before that service)

I've been drawing up a list off bit's to order,
the U hose, Hose clamps x2, Fuel Filter and the large O Ring anything else worth replacing / ordering while I'm doing that.
Does anyone know of anyone that does the tools for the BMW Fuel line clips?

She's got a k&n in so think I'm gonna throw a Gen BM Air filter in while I'm in there. Re fitting a stock exhaust system with cat.

I was curious about some of the BMW Service tools does anyone have the part number for the clutch bleeding kit bm use?
Curious about how BMW would do it in the workshops.

Was 2 years ago when the clutch fluid and brake fluid was done so wanna get those done to over the next couple of weeks.

Anything else I should be thinking about at around 53k miles? I was considering doing the crown wheel bearing at some point to as a preventative measure.

What miles are the swingarm bearings usually changed at and anything I need to think about clutch slave wise?

Got some fairly big trips planned inc Norway next year so gonna do what I can then before the trip pop it into Steve's for a service next year when funds are better after the house move to Scotland.

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Absolutely loving the 1150 :)

.... I was considering doing the crown wheel bearing at some point to as a preventative measure.
If the final drive bearing has never been done I would certainly change it at that mileage, an easy enough job. Just make sure you do it right and don't introduce any side load to the new bearing by installing it incorrectly.

Thanks Paul appreciate the reply :) I'll do that at the same time as the Pivot bearings.

I've recently purchased an 1150GS with similar mileage. It also had some play in the FD pivot bearing (how it passed its MOT in the few days before I purchased it I have no idea!).

I went down the Nushings route (popular on here). https://nushings.com/#/

They arrived in under a week and we're a doddle to fit. No special tools needed.

Following this thread with interest as I've got my brake/clutch fluid to do.

Just finished quite a bit of servicing on my 2001 1150GS. 59,000 miles.

I had a big trip planned so all the following got done. If hadn't had the trip planned some of the stuff below might have been left for a while yet but wanted to give it the best chance and not break down 2000 miles from home.

Valve clearance
Throttle body balance
Changed final drive crown bearing due to slight play and v slight roughness
Adjusted paralever bearing to eliminate minor play
Replaced original brake lines (20 years old) for stainless
Changed brake and clutch fluid
New air filter fitted
Plugs were okay. Only 4000 miles on them
New brake pads all round.
Changed fd and engine oils. Oil filter

Changed out fork seals as slight weep from both legs.

Fitted male ends to fuel line QDs

Checked alternator belt which looks good. Have new one ready to go which I'll carry as spare.
Bike was new to me 10000 miles ago , bought off my mate who's owned it from new. He always had it dealer serviced.

Still to do fuel filter and U tube in tank.

Thanks Rusty an Welly appreciate the replies :)

I'll check those nushings out,

That's a good point on the fuel connectors Welly.

Just to add to this has anyone used the Stahlbus bleeders for the clutch ? do you just put it right into the Werkstück are they deep enough to press the ball bearing?

Fitted the Stock exhaust system back on the other day all went great looks brill to, air filter is on the way which I'm picking up on Wednesday.

Going into BM' to order a few bits for the 1150 on Wednesday.

Got a bit of a batting order going on now:

Going to do the clutch n brake fluids first then oil changes. (It's due all off those) What weight is everyone using in the FD an Gearbox? I've seen a few mentioned. (Know it needs to be GL5) Looking at Putoline 20/50 Sport 4 Semi Synth for the engine.

Also going to be doing the fuel filter so I know its been done,

Have I missed anything on the list of bits for this
Fuel Pump housing large 0 ring 16 14 1 341 008
hex nut 07 12 9 902 975 x 6
Washers for hex nuts
Fuel filter u hose 16 14 2 325 808
Fuel Filter £16 14 2 325 859
Fuel filter hose clamp 16 12 1 176 918 for U hose

Have I got enough clips for fuel lines? Any others that need replacing when you pull the tank?

What miles does the strainer need changing on the fuel pump?

What's everyone's take on the Fuel line Quick disconnect's I was looking at the metal ones from Motorworks to replace the plastic connector on the link pipe.

After that I'm gonna look at the FD Pivot Bearings and Crown wheel bearings. In a few weeks when funds allow.

Does anyone know what miles the FD swing arm bearings are usually due for replacement? Thinking of doing the lot while I've got the FD off. Then she should be good for the foreseeable future.

Thanks mate I'll stick them on the list for when I do the them. Makes sense to do them all in one go then at least I know what's been done :)

Just to add to this has anyone used the Stahlbus bleeders for the clutch ? do you just put it right into the Werkstück are they deep enough to press the ball bearing?
A standard bleed nipple ftom a Brembo caliper fits the clutch bleed unit… heat the clutch unit up before removing the small grub screw.

The nushings guy does a metal u bend kit for when replacing the fuel filter,it's a good idea to replace the u hose at the same time with a new one or one of these metal ones

Back
Top Bottom